Mercedes-Benz S-Class Review
The 2015 Mercedes-Benz S-Class ranks 1 out of 6 Super Luxury Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Mercedes-Benz S-Class, as well as reliability and safety data.
Opulent, powerful, packed with technology and now available in a coupe, the 2015 Mercedes-Benz S-Class is one of the finest luxury cars on the market, according to critics.
The 2015 Mercedes-Benz S550 comes with a twin-turbocharged V8 engine, and reviewers agree that it provides forceful acceleration in town and on the interstate. A seven-speed automatic transmission and rear-wheel drive are standard. All-wheel drive is optional. The S550 gets an EPA-estimated 17/26 mpg city/highway, which is in line for the class. The S-Class is also available with a hybrid powertrain and a V12 engine, in additional to the high-performance S63 AMG and S65 AMG trims. Though critics say the S-Class is a large, comfort-oriented sedan with light steering, they think it feels fairly agile while cornering. Test drivers report that AMG models are noticeably more nimble, and models equipped with the Magic Body Control system allow you to glide over bumpy roads in absolute comfort.
Exquisite materials, beautiful styling and excellent sound insulation give the 2015 Mercedes-Benz S-Class' cabin an unmatched level of opulence in its class, auto writers say. The S-Class' large, comfortable front seats impress critics, and they say its rear seats offer a first-class experience thanks to their spaciousness and high-end available features, which include six massage settings and pop-out tray tables. According to auto writers, the rear seats in the coupe are comfortable for tall adults, which is unusual in a two-door car. Standard features include leather upholstery, heated front seats, a panoramic sunroof, a rearview camera, forward collision warning, driver drowsiness monitoring and Mercedes' COMAND infotainment system, which includes two 12.3-inch displays, a 13-speaker Burmester surround-sound audio system, navigation, a built-in Wi-Fi hot spot, Bluetooth, dual USB ports and satellite radio. Available features include a dual-screen rear-seat entertainment system, adaptive cruise control, active lane keep assist, blind spot monitoring, night vision, pedestrian detection, front and rear parking sensors, a surround-view camera system and a head-up display. Reviewers like the easy-to-use COMAND system and comment that the active safety systems are so advanced the S-Class can feel like a self-driving car at times.
- "Few cars signal success more than the 2015 Mercedes-Benz S-Class sedan. For decades it has been the CEO's luxury liner of choice thanks to its power, grace and technological sophistication that keep rivals like the BMW 7 Series, Audi A8 and Lexus LS playing constant catch-up." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The 2015 Mercedes-Benz S-Class is a step above other elite full-size luxury sedans in refinement, technology and luxury, while the coupe version is every bit its two-door equal. It is truly one of the world's finest automobiles." -- Edmunds
- "Mercedes would have you call the 2014 S-class, the sixth generation of the nameplate known internally as the W222, 'the best car in the world,' and while there's no calculus to determine what, exactly, defines 'best,' the car does make a few pretty compelling arguments in its favor." -- AutoWeek (2014)
- "The new S-Class Benzes are exquisite pieces of work on their own; beautiful inside and out and comfortable to a sickening degree." -- Road and Track (2014)
Mercedes-Benz S-Class Pictures & Videos
Other Cars to Consider
The Audi A8 has a beautiful interior, critics say, and they are impressed with its ample legroom and agile handling. When equipped with the available diesel engine, the A8 gets superb fuel economy for a super luxury car and costs thousands less than the S-Class.
A base Lexus LS costs quite a bit less than a base S-Class, and test drivers comment that it has a remarkably smooth ride. Reviewers note that the LS' quiet, luxurious interior has top-notch materials, exceptional build quality and generous rear-seat legroom.
Details: 2015 Mercedes-Benz S-Class
The 2015 Mercedes-Benz S-Class sedan seats up to five, and the new-for-2015 S-Class coupe seats four. Engine size is largely denoted by trim level, and ranges from a twin-turbocharged 4.7-liter V8 in the base S550 to a twin-turbocharged 6.0-liter V12 in the S65 AMG. The S-Class comes standard with a seven-speed automatic transmission and rear-wheel drive. All-wheel drive (4Matic) is optional. Aside from some new trim levels and the introduction of the coupe body style, the S-Class' last full redesign was in 2014. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2014 and 2015 model years.
Next Steps: Mercedes-Benz S-Class
- View the best prices for the 2015 Mercedes-Benz S-Class
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Mercedes-Benz S-Class
- Search used Mercedes-Benz S-Class for sale (4,352 listings)
- See Super Luxury Cars rankings
- Find Best Deals: Purchase Deals Lease Deals Used Deals