Mercedes-Benz S-Class Review
The 2014 Mercedes-Benz S-Class ranks 1 out of 12 Super Luxury Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Mercedes-Benz S-Class, as well as reliability and safety data.
With its divine ride comfort, opulent interior and vast array of executive luxury features, test drivers agree that the 2014 Mercedes-Benz S-Class is one of the best luxury cars that money can buy.
The S-Class has a twin-turbocharged V8 engine and seven-speed automatic transmission that auto writers agree enables it to perform fast and effortless highway passing maneuvers. The Mercedes-Benz S550 returns an EPA-estimated 17/25 mpg city/highway, which is on par with its rivals’ fuel economy. The high-performance S63 AMG has a twin-turbo 5.5-liter V8, and test drivers report that this model is incredibly fast. The S-Class is available with a number of driver assistance features that work to enable the S-Class to drive itself at low speeds. Auto journalists write that this technology means that the S-Class' driving experience is less engaging than that of its rivals. Still, they're impressed with its poised handling through fast turns. Many reviewers mention that Mercedes' new available Magic Body Control system gives the S-Class an unbelievably comfortable ride that is matched by very few competitors in any segment.
Auto critics agree that the 2014 Mercedes-Benz S-Class' interior has handsome, detailed stitching and beautiful wood and metal trim throughout that give it an unmatched level of opulence among luxury sedans. They say that the base front seats are extremely comfortable, though many are further impressed with the available massaging seats. Still, most critics agree that with an available leg rest, massaging seats and pop-out tray tables, the S-Class' rear quarters are truly luxurious and are the best seats in the house. Reviewers write that the standard COMAND infotainment interface is a model of intuitiveness and that the Burmester stereo system delivers rich sound. Standard features include a rearview camera, dual-zone automatic climate control, navigation and a 13-speaker Burmester stereo system. Options include a 24-speaker Burmester stereo system, a surround-view camera system, four-zone automatic climate control, lane keeping assist, adaptive cruise control with steering assist and a night vision system.
- "In every aspect of the new S-Class -- from crash avoidance and protection to extreme cosseting -- the attention to detail is breathtaking." -- AutoTrader
- "Mercedes would have you call the 2014 S-class, the sixth generation of the nameplate known internally as the W222, 'the best car in the world,' and while there's no calculus to determine what, exactly, defines 'best,' the car does make a few pretty compelling arguments in its favor." -- AutoWeek
- "The 2014 Mercedes-Benz S-Class is a step above other elite full-size luxury sedans in refinement, technology and luxury. It's one of the world's finest automobiles." -- Edmunds
- "Those seeking top-of-the-line comfort, safety and luxury will find a lot to love in the 2014 Mercedes-Benz S-Class." -- MSN Autos
- "The new S-Class Benzes are exquisite pieces of work on their own; beautiful inside and out and comfortable to a sickening degree. More power, a better suspension, massive brakes and genuinely spectacular overall performance basically put the S63 AMG 4Matic in a class by itself. This is how all the high-end Q-ships should be built." -- Road and Track
- "The S-Class has always been the nachos grande of the Mercedes-Benz lineup, and this newest iteration is no exception. Loaded with technology and oozing with luxury, it looks poised to stand at the top of the big-sedan market." -- Popular Mechanics
Other Cars to Consider
The Audi A8 is available with a turbodiesel V6 that test drivers report has ample power and torque, and with this engine, the A8 gets great fuel economy for the class. Reviewers say the A8 has nimble handling and exceptional interior build quality.
For 2014, the Porsche Panamera gets a long-wheelbase variant that reviewers say offers generous legroom. Test drivers are enthralled with the experience from the driver's seat as well, noting that the Panamera's athletic handling and powerful engines make it a very fun and engaging vehicle to drive.
Details: 2014 Mercedes-Benz S-Class
The 2014 Mercedes-Benz S-Class seats up to five and comes in two trim levels. The S550 has a twin-turbocharged 4.6-liter V8, seven-speed automatic transmission and standard rear-wheel drive (all-wheel drive is optional). The high-performance S63 AMG has a 5.5-liter V8, seven-speed AMG Speedshift MCT transmission and standard all-wheel drive. The S-Class is fully redesigned for 2014.
Next Steps: Mercedes-Benz S-Class
- View the best prices for the 2014 Mercedes-Benz S-Class
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Mercedes-Benz S-Class
- Search used Mercedes-Benz S-Class for sale (2,399 listings)
- See Super Luxury Cars rankings