2011 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Recalls & Reliability
There have been 2 safety recalls issued from NHTSA.
FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINERecall Date: 12/03/2012
- Summary: Mercedes-Benz is recalling certain model year 2011-2012 S400, S550, S550 4Matic, S63 AMG, C300, C300 4Matic, E350, GLK350, GLK350 4Matic, CL550 4Matic, and CL63 AMG vehicles manufactured from April 18, 2011, through July 12, 2011. Due to an irregularity stemming from the molding process of the fuel filter flange, the fuel filter flange may crack when operated in high temperatures.
- Potential Number of Units Affected: 5,800
- Consequence: If the fuel filter flange cracks, it will leak fuel which may lead to a fire if anexternal ignition source in present.
- Remedy: Mercedes-Benz will notify owners, and dealers will replace the fuel filter, free of charge. The recall campaign is expected to begin in January 2013. Owners may contact Mercedes-Benz at 1-800-367-6372.
- Notes: Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
- NHTSA Campaign ID: 12V557000
FUEL SYSTEM, DIESELRecall Date: 09/30/2011
- Summary: MERCEDES-BENZ USA (MBUSA) IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2011 VEHICLES INCLUDING E-CLASS (212 PLATFORM), MANUFACTURED FROM JULY 2010 THROUGH FEBRUARY 2011, R-CLASS (251 PLATFORM), MANUFACTURED FROM APRIL 2010 THROUGH APRIL 2011, ML-CLASS (W164 PLATFORM), MANUFACTURED FROM JANUARY 2010 THROUGH MARCH 2011, GL-CLASS (X164 PLATFORM), MANUFACTURED FROM MARCH 2010 THROUGH MARCH 2011, AND MODEL YEAR 2012 S-CLASS (221 PLATFORM) VEHICLES. THE DIESEL FUEL FILTER MAY LEAK FROM THE AREA AROUND THE HEATING COMPONENT.
- Potential Number of Units Affected: 6,872
- Consequence: DIESEL FUEL MAY BE DEPOSITED ONTO THE HIGHWAY AND CREATE THE POTENTIAL FOR A CRASH. FUEL LEAKAGE, IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE, COULD RESULT IN A FIRE.
- Remedy: MBUSA WILL CONTACT OWNERS, AND DEALERS WILL INSPECT AND REPLACE THE DIESEL FUEL FILTER IF NECESSARY, FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING NOVEMBER 2011. OWNERS MAY CONTACT MERCEDES-BENZ USA AT 1-800-367-6372.
- Notes: OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .
- NHTSA Campaign ID: 11V496000
There is no reliability data available for this vehicle.
Mercedes backs the 2011 S-Class with a four-year/50,000-mile limited warranty. No separate powertrain warranty is provided; although buyers may opt to purchase an extended limited warranty that can cover the S-Class for up to three years after the original factory warranty expires. Roadside assistance is provided by Mercedes as long as your S-Class is under warranty, or if your vehicle is regularly serviced at an authorized Mercedes-Benz dealership.
The warranty offered on the S-Class is average for the class, but buyers should note that competitors such as BMW also include free scheduled maintenance for the first four years or 50,000 miles.
Warranty information last updated: 5/11/11
Next Steps: Mercedes-Benz S-Class