2013 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Interior
This interior review was written when the 2013 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class was new.
The redesigned 2013 Mercedes SL550 earns praise for its comfortable interior, as well as its trick retractable hardtop. When equipped with optional Magic Sky Control, you can control how much sunlight hits the cabin. Just press a button, and you can lighten or darken the tint on the panoramic roof.
Additionally, test drivers say the SL gets high marks for its quiet ride, as well as an infotainment system that’s more intuitive than it was in the previous model.
- “It was a brisk fall morning, but we were comfortable in the open car, the heating and ventilation system ensuring proper conditions in the cockpit no matter what was happening outside.” -- Automobile Magazine
- "With its top up, the SL is quieter inside than most sedans. Wind control with the top down and the optional power-retractable wind deflector in place is also exceptional, even above the ton." -- Edmunds
- "What matters with the SL550 is that it can cover hundreds of miles of autobahn/freeway in style while the driver can impress the passenger with such perks as the Airscarf top-down back-of-the-neck heater and the optional Magic Sky top-up sunroof (now with selectable transparency) that switches tinting on and off." -- Motor Trend
Few reviewers have commented on the redesigned SL550’s seats, however, those who have say that they’re comfortable and supportive. Power-adjustable, heated leather seats are standard and a myriad of seating options are available to increase driver comfort.
Most test drivers spent time in SL550s that were equipped with Mercedes’ optional Airscarf heating system, which adds a vent under the headrest to keep your neck warm. One reviewer says that the heated seats and Airscarf make it comfortable to drive with the top down in cool weather.
- "The seats are very aggressively bolstered, but wide enough for a fast-food junkie, which is a nice trick." -- Edmunds
- "In any case you will be comfortable, top up or down...the latter even to rather chilly temps. Run up the windows and the wind blocker behind the seats. Turn on the seat heaters and the headrest-mounted "air scarf" and you can be quite cozy top down." -- Road and Track
Some auto writers comment that Mercedes COMAND infotainment system has become easier to use on the new 2013 SL550. However, the most notable feature they’ve noticed is the Magic Sky Control option for the retractable hardtop.
- "It takes less than 20 seconds to close the retractable hardtop, which offers Mercedes' Magic Sky Control. That allows you to make the roof darker or clear, like a customizable sunroof. It's undeniably cool, but we only bothered with it once, when we parked the car and put the top up for the night." -- AutoWeek
- "As it stands, there's a lot of magic here. The retractable hardtop-with its selectably transparent glass-is called Magic Sky Control." -- Car and Driver
- "Our test car was also equipped with the optional panoramic roof with the Magic Sky Control, which might be the coolest thing around. The transparent roof switches instantly between light and dark with the push of a button." -- Edmunds
- "Mercedes seems to have simplified (de-mystified?) the multifunction COMAND system and all its electronic possibilities. That's the good news, yet there are a lot of like-size buttons that take eye time from the road." -- Road and Track
As a luxury sports car, the redesigned SL550 actually has a good amount of trunk space. There’s 13.5 cubic feet of space in the SL550’s trunk, which can be opened and closed by waving your foot under the rear bumper. In general, reviewers love this feature. One test driver also comments that the redesigned SL now has a better set of cupholders inside the cabin.
- "We're also happy to declare that Mercedes has finally put a decent set of cupholders in the SL. There are three - two smaller provisions up ahead of the shift lever on the center console and one biggie back between the seats. This is a big deal; there's finally a place to put your lady's Big Gulp-size mochachino chai-latte double shot." -- Edmunds
- "Here's another neat feature: If your arms are full of packages and you want to get into the trunk, just wave your foot under the rear bumper and the lid opens. Ditto to close it." -- Road and Track