Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Interior
The 2015 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class has first-rate interior materials and a clean design, according to reviewers. There is a good amount of trunk space for a convertible, and test drivers remark that the seats offer ample space. They say that the Airscarf system enables comfortable top-down driving on cool days and are impressed by the open-air feeling of the cabin even with the top up, thanks to its standard glass roof panel. Most think the COMAND infotainment system works well, though a few critics mention that you have to go through several steps to perform audio or navigation functions.
- "Material quality is consistently top notch, from the French-stitched leather to the generous sweep of fine wood trim extends from the center console across the dashboard into the doors." -- Left Lane News
- "For example, Mercedes designers and engineers have managed to pack the passenger cabin with an enormous amount of technology without making the cockpit look overly cluttered." -- Edmunds
- "The top-notch materials and exacting construction exceed even the high expectations of cars wearing the Mercedes-Benz 3-pointed star." -- Kelley Blue Book
Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Pictures
The two-seat Mercedes-Benz SL-Class comes standard with sun-reflecting leather upholstery and heated and power-adjustable seats. Available features include ventilated seats, massaging seats and Airscarf, which uses vents in the back of the seat to blow warm air on your neck. Reviewers say the seats are spacious and offer plenty of headroom. They note that it is easy to find a comfortable driving position and find that with Airscarf, you can be comfortable driving with the top down on cool days.
- "The 2015 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class is the rare 2-seat roadster tall adults can enjoy. Even with the hardtop roof in place, 6-footers can enjoy plenty of head- and legroom." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "In more practical terms, head- and legroom are abundant, and the 12-way power-adjustable seats offer a particularly large amount of fore-and-aft travel which, combined with the power tilt-and-telescoping steering wheel, makes it easy for a wide range of individuals to find an ideal driving position." -- Edmunds
- "In any case you will be comfortable, top up or down...the latter even to rather chilly temps. Run up the windows and the wind blocker behind the seats. Turn on the seat heaters and the headrest-mounted 'air scarf' and you can be quite cozy top down." -- Road and Track (2013)
Standard features in the 2015 SL-Class include a transparent roof panel in the power-retractable hardtop, dual-zone automatic climate control, Mercedes' COMAND infotainment system, a USB port, Bluetooth, a nine-speaker Harman Kardon audio system, navigation, HD Radio and satellite radio. Optional features include a rearview camera, front and rear parking sensors, blind spot monitoring, parallel park assist, Mercedes Attention Assist system (which can alert the driver if he or she is getting drowsy), adaptive cruise control, lane keep assist, a 12-speaker Bang & Olufsen surround-sound audio system, night vision, a Splitview front-seat entertainment system that enables the driver and front passenger to see two different images on the same screen on the center stack and Magic Sky Control, which allows you to adjust the tint on the glass roof panel to allow more or less light through.
According to test drivers, the glass roof panel makes the SL-Class feel open and airy even when the roof is closed. They are further impressed with the Magic Sky Control function, though they wish it allowed less light and heat to enter the cabin when on the darkest setting. Reviewers find the COMAND system fairly straightforward, however they comment that you have to go through multiple steps to perform some audio and navigation functions.
- "The standard glass roof panel also contributes to an unmatched sense of roof-up openness, and it gets even better with the optional Magic Sky Control." -- Edmunds (2014)
- "Mercedes seems to have simplified (de-mystified?) the multifunction COMAND system and all its electronic possibilities. That's the good news, yet there are a lot of like-size buttons that take eye time from the road." -- Road and Track (2013)
- "Everything is fairly intuitive, though some navigation, audio, and vehicle-system functions are buried deep within menus. The climate controls are separate from COMAND and simple to negotiate." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
- "[Magic Sky Control] seems simple enough, but this feature thrilled everyone who saw it. This is exactly the type of gee-whiz feature that can sell a car - or at least close the deal. My sole complaint is that it doesn't go completely opaque. It's a deep blue that still admits light and, it seems, some heat as well when in direct sunlight." -- Cars.com (2013)
The 2015 SL-Class has 13.5 cubic feet of trunk space with the top up and 8.5 cubic feet with it lowered. Overall trunk space is good for a convertible. The SL-Class is available with a hands-free system that lets you open the trunk by kicking your foot under the rear bumper, and reviewers appreciate how convenient it is. Test drivers note that there is plenty of luggage space in the trunk for a weekend trip. Others comment that small-item storage in the cabin is fairly unimpressive, however.
- "Accessing the trunk is made easier by a hands-free power opener that can be activated by waving a foot under the rear bumper." -- Edmunds
- "The audio system is, of course, amazing, and on the practical side, there's even plenty of storage space, with 13.5 cubic feet of trunk space with the top up. Turn on the Magic Sky Control, and you can go on a weekend trip and enjoy an open-top experience, without luggage in the foot-well." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The trunk can reasonably accommodate a weekend's worth of soft luggage for two with the top down. Interior storage is fairly modest. The glovebox is on the small side, as are the door pockets, though the latter are larger than on the outgoing SL. The center console extends the length of the cabin and is divided into two parts. It's not very deep, and accessing the rear compartment requires an awkward reach." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
Next Steps: Mercedes-Benz SL-Class
- View the best prices for the 2015 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class
- Search used Mercedes-Benz SL-Class for sale (1,881 listings)
- See Luxury Sports Cars rankings
- Find Best Deals: Purchase Deals Lease Deals Used Deals