2011 Mercedes Benz SLK-Class Review
The 2011 Mercedes-Benz SLK is a stylish and luxurious roadster that has the added benefit of being fun to drive.
The Mercedes-Benz SLK treads the middle ground between sports car and luxurious convertible. The good news is, most reviewers says it covers that ground very well. Car and Driver says the SLK “offers Mercedes-level of refinement and a sporty and fun-to-drive nature.” While other cars in this class can have punishing rides, thanks to their emphasis on performance, the SLK is a driver’s car that passengers can like as well.
Available as the base SLK300 and more-powerful SLK350, reviewers like the SLK class for its style, fast-acting retractable hardtop and refined interior. However, an all-new model is expected for 2012, with better driving dynamics. Though reviewers say the 2011 model is a fine performer, if you want an SLK that matches its level of performance to its level of style, it may pay to wait for the new model.
Other Sports Cars to Consider
If you’re in the market for a luxury sports car with better performance, check out the Porsche Boxster. Its mid-engine platform make it a better handler than the SLK, though reviewers say it isn’t as stylish and its interior is not as plush as the SLK. Also consider the BMW Z4, which got performance upgrades for 2011 that make it more capable. Like the SLK, the Z4 features a retractable hardtop.
If your after style, however, consider the Audi TT. Like the Z4, the TT was upgraded for 2011, making it a better performer. The TT is considered one of the best-looking cars in the class. As an added bonus if you live in a snowy area, the TT has standard all-wheel drive.
Details: Mercedes-Benz SLK
The only changes the 2011 Mercedes-Benz SLK gets for the 2011 model year are the dropping of the high-performance SLK55AMG model; features from the formerly optional Sport body kit are now standard.
- "While Mercedes convertibles have always offered luxury, solidity and brand cachet, the 2011 Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class does them one better by being a driver's car."--Edmunds
- "A small-size roadster with a power-retractable hardtop, the SLK offers Mercedes-level of refinement and a sporty and fun-to-drive nature. The base engine is good for poseurs, enthusiasts will need to step up to the more powerful 3.5-liter V-6. But this is a good-looking way to go."--Car and Driver
- "Beyond the SLK's gorgeous exterior, stunning interior and enthusiast-inspired performance and handling capabilities, the car's most attractive feature is its price. With a sticker starting around $45,000, the SLK is well within reach of luxury car buyers seeking a fun second vehicle for weekend getaways or romantic moonlight drives." -- Kelley Blue Book
Next Steps: Mercedes Benz SLK-Class
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Mercedes Benz SLK-Class for sale (427 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class
- View Mercedes Benz SLK-Class Photos
- See Luxury Sports Cars rankings