2008 Mercury Mariner-Hybrid Review
The Mariner Hybrid offers elegant, well-regarded exterior style, an attractive interior, and overall good value along with excellent fuel economy for its class. However, it can't match the driving experience and gadgets of competitors, making it one of the lower-ranked hybrid SUVs.
The 2008 Mercury Mariner Hybrid is a small SUV distinguished by its conservatively elegant styling and good interior comfort. But lagging performance leaves it in the bottom half of the affordable compact SUV class. For 2008, the Mariner's body and interior have been redesigned. Most are happy to see the plastic body-side cladding removed and are impressed with the versatile storage features and attractive cabin of the new interior. The fuel economy and responsiveness of the hybrid powertrain lifts the Mariner Hybrid above its non-hybrid version. While it's a bit bare-boned according to CNET, they also add, "The Outlander and CR-V have better cabin gadgets, but won't match the Mariner Hybrid for fuel economy." The reviewer continues, "In truth, the highest tech feature about the 2008 Mercury Mariner Hybrid is still the hybrid power train."
The Mariner Hybrid shares the same basic structure, seating configuration and hybrid power train as the Ford Escape Hybrid. It comes in two trims -- the base Mariner and the top-of-the-line Premier.
Like its platform mate, the Mariner Hybrid boasts the best fuel economy in the small SUV class. As gas prices set records in 2008, that's sure to be on the minds of many buyers.
- "It's a buy, even with the nickel metal hydride batteries that are likely to be made obsolete by lithium polymer batteries that will be introduced in the next few years. Compare with any compact SUV on the market. Excellent value here." -- Washington Post
- "The hybrid comes with green leaf badges on the hatch lid and fenders, the only evidence this is something other than a regular Mariner. ... Many of those who accept the added cost premium to show they are making a contribution to energy independence would welcome a vehicle that looks as well as acts different than the gas version." -- Chicago Tribune
Next Steps: Mercury Mariner-Hybrid
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Mercury Mariner-Hybrid for sale (673 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Mercury Mariner-Hybrid
- View Mercury Mariner-Hybrid Photos
- See Affordable Compact SUVs rankings