2008 Mercury Mountaineer Review
The 2008 Mercury Mountaineer is a comfortable SUV with great safety features. But lower-than-average fuel economy and a sluggish base engine lead to a ranking in the bottom half of its class.
Based on the same platform as the Ford Explorer, our analysis shows the 2008 Mercury Mountaineer is a competent and comfortable SUV. Car and Driver describes the Mountaineer as "wholly capable, decently built, and even nice to look at in a boxy, American kind of way." However, they also point out that "there's already a vehicle that drives like and looks like and is almost in every way exactly like the Mountaineer called the Ford Explorer."
The 2008 Mountaineer, largely a carryover from 2007, is available in three trims: the base model with a V6 engine, and the Premier trims, which features V6 or V8 engines.
- "[T]he new and improved Mountaineer still has enough flaws to rank it, at least in my eyes, no better than middle-of-the-road." -- Detroit News
- "That said, the Mountaineer has a bit of elegance, some neat tech toys, can seat seven in comfort and can tow more than 7,000 pounds when properly equipped." -- San Jose Mercury News
Next Steps: Mercury Mountaineer
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Mercury Mountaineer for sale (997 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Mercury Mountaineer
- View Mercury Mountaineer Photos
- See Affordable Midsize SUVs rankings