MINI Cooper Review
The 2015 MINI Cooper ranks 15 out of 42 Affordable Small Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the MINI Cooper, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2015 MINI Cooper is ranked:
The 2015 Mini Cooper now has a four-door model with expanded cargo space and a more spacious back seat, and reviewers find the car exceptionally fun to drive.
Some automotive journalists say the base 2015 Mini Cooper is slow to get up to speed, but others find the Hardtop's turbocharged three-cylinder engine has plenty of power from a stop. The Cooper S models have a turbocharged four-cylinder engine that test drivers say provides strong acceleration. A six-speed manual transmission is standard on all Mini Cooper Hardtop and Convertible models, and a six-speed automatic transmission is optional. The base 2015 Mini Cooper Hardtop gets up to an EPA-estimated 29/40 mpg city/highway, which is good for the class. While some note that it rides harshly, critics praise the Mini Cooper’s responsive handling, sharp steering and strong brakes, which they say make it very fun to drive.
The 2015 Mini Hardtop's interior is well-designed and constructed with premium materials, reviewers say. While they note the Mini Hardtop 2 Door lacks sufficient space in the back seat, they find the new Hardtop 4's back seat can handle adults comfortably. In terms of cargo space, the 4 Door is adequate for the class, while the 2 Door is small. Standard features in the 2015 Mini Cooper Hardtop include leatherette upholstery, automatic climate control, Bluetooth, a USB/iPod adapter, a climate-controlled glove box and color-customizable ambient lighting. Available features include leather upholstery, heated front seats, a Harman Kardon audio system, satellite radio, a rearview camera, rear parking sensors, automated parallel parking assist, a panoramic sunroof, a head-up display, navigation and the Mini Connected infotainment system with smartphone app integration. Test drivers report that the Mini Hardtop’s audio and climate controls are more straightforward than they were in previous model years, and many appreciate that the Mini Connected infotainment system is easy to use.
- "For customers who don't want to sacrifice sophistication when they downsize-and are willing to pay a substantial premium for it-the new Hardtop 4-Door fits the bill." -- Car and Driver
- "A sister car to the familiar two-door, the new Mini Cooper Hardtop four-door offers enough room for three in the rear and a more spacious cargo area. To our eyes it looks a little ungainly, but the agility and driving fun of the two-door car are retained." -- Edmunds
- "The Cooper Hardtop is a sporty three-door hatchback that serves as the backbone of BMW's ever-expanding MINI brand. Now in its third generation, it combines quirky, vintage British charm with near-luxury levels of refinement and extremely agile handling." -- Left Lane News
- "At $22,300 for the less powerful Cooper model, the newest edition to the Mini lineup offers a good value and a fun-to-drive nature." -- Motor Trend (4 Door)
MINI Cooper Pictures & Videos
Other Cars to Consider
Automotive journalists say the redesigned Volkswagen GTI's sharp handling and potent engine make it a thrill to drive. They also like its top-quality interior materials and large cargo area.
Reviewers write that the Fiat 500 has a chic interior and a comfortable ride. It also has a lower base price than the Mini Cooper, and auto writers appreciate its peppy turbocharged engine options.
Details: 2015 Mini Cooper
The 2015 Mini Cooper is available in Hardtop 2 Door, Hardtop 4 Door (new for 2015) and Convertible body styles, which come in Cooper, Cooper S and John Cooper Works (Convertible only) trims. The base Cooper Hardtop 2 Door has a turbocharged 1.5-liter three-cylinder engine, a six-speed manual transmission and front-wheel drive. A six-speed automatic transmission is optional. The Hardtop 2 Door was completely redesigned last year and sees few changes for 2015. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2014 and 2015 model years.
Next Steps: MINI Cooper
- View the best prices for the 2015 MINI Cooper
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 MINI Cooper
- Search used MINI Cooper for sale (4,804 listings)
- See Affordable Small Cars rankings
- Find Best Deals: Purchase Deals Lease Deals Used Deals