Mitsubishi Outlander Sport Review
The 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport ranks 20 out of 22 Affordable Compact SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Mitsubishi Outlander Sport, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport is ranked:
The 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport gets good fuel economy for the class, and reviewers like its roomy seats. However, they’re disappointed with its poor performance and uninspiring interior design.
The 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport is powered by a four-cylinder engine that reviewers say is noisy, and can't compete with the more powerful engines offered by many rivals. Critics note that the Outlander Sport's optional continuously variable transmission (CVT) helps it get good fuel economy estimates, but they prefer the five-speed manual, which they say makes the best use of the engine’s power. The base Outlander Sport earns fuel economy estimates of 24/30 mpg city/highway, which is good for the class. Under normal driving conditions, test drivers think the Outlander Sport is easy to maneuver and offers handling that’s fairly composed. However, some say that a softly-sprung suspension has a negative effect on the Outlander Sport’s agility when the road gets twisty.
Despite its relatively petite size, auto writers agree that the Mitsubishi Outlander Sport has a spacious back seat that will accommodate most adults comfortably. While the Outlander Sport has less cargo space than rivals like the Toyota RAV4 and Honda CR-V, some test drivers maintain that there is suitable cargo room for a few suitcases. Some reviewers say the Outlander Sport’s cabin has uninspired styling and low-quality materials, but that the interior features are functional and easy to use. The Outlander Sport comes standard with a four-speaker stereo, Mitsubishi’s voice-activated FUSE hands-free system with Bluetooth and a USB port, a leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob and steering wheel-mounted audio controls. Optional features include a 7-inch touch screen with navigation or a 6.1-inch touch-screen audio system, a Rockford-Fosgate nine-speaker stereo system, satellite and HD Radio, a rearview camera, push-button start, a panoramic moonroof and automatic climate control.
- "It comes up short on cargo room, engine power and handling compared to many similarly-priced rivals, but pleasant styling and decent fuel efficiency make it worth a look." -- Left Lane News
- "But if you're satisfied with what's under the hood, the Outlander Sport is a pretty compelling crossover. Kudos to Mitsubishi for turning those questionable roots into some surprisingly tasty fruit." -- AutoTrader
- "Though it's an agreeable urban runabout, the … Mitsubishi Outlander Sport is outclassed by other small crossovers that are either more practical or more fun to drive." -- Edmunds
- "Would I consider this over a Chevrolet Equinox or a Volkswagen Tiguan? Not with this drivetrain." -- AutoWeek (2011)
Other SUVs to Consider
For a sleek, upscale interior, consider the Volkswagen Tiguan. Reviewers think the Tiguan's cabin is attractive and comes outfitted with premium materials. Additionally, they say it offers a quiet ride.
The Nissan Juke offers a turbocharged engine that auto reviewers say produces sprightly acceleration and ample power. Test drivers also note that the Juke has athletic handling and a responsive CVT.
Details: 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport
The 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport seats five and comes with a five-speed manual transmission and front-wheel drive. A CVT and all-wheel drive are optional. The Outlander Sport comes in two trims: ES and SE. Aside from minor trim upgrades, the Outlander Sport is largely unchanged for 2014, so this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2011 through the current model year.
Next Steps: Mitsubishi Outlander Sport
- View the best prices for the 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport
- Search used Mitsubishi Outlander Sport for sale (5,366 listings)
- See Affordable Compact SUVs rankings