Mitsubishi Outlander Sport Review
The 2013 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport ranks 18 out of 21 Affordable Compact SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of 34 published reviews and test drives of the Mitsubishi Outlander Sport, and our analysis of reliability and safety data.
The 2013 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport is ranked:
The 2013 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport has a low base price and a roomy back seat, but it can’t match the performance and interior quality of top-ranked compact SUVs.
The 2013 Outlander Sport comes with a 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine and a five-speed manual transmission. According to the EPA, the Outlander Sport gets up to 24/31 mpg city/highway, which is good for the class. Test drivers note that although the Outlander Sport offers a comfortable ride and strong brakes, it can’t match the driving dynamics of other SUVs in the class. The bulk of test drivers say that the Outlander Sport is sluggish, with an underpowered engine. Most reviewers also agree that the Outlander Sport handles adequately, but it’s not the most athletic around tight corners and twisty roads. Rivals like the Ford Escape and Volkswagen Tiguan are generally considered more fun to drive.
Despite its compact size, reviewers agree that the Mitsubishi Outlander Sport offers a spacious back seat that will keep most passengers happy. While it has less cargo space than rivals like the GMC Terrain and Honda CR-V, critics still say there’s plenty of room for a few suitcases behind the back seat. On the downside, many reviewers say that the Outlander Sport’s interior materials aren’t high-quality, and that the optional navigation system can be difficult to use. The Outlander Sport comes with standard features that include a USB port and Bluetooth, while optional features include a Rockford-Fosgate stereo, heated front seats and a navigation system with a backup camera and a 40GB hard drive.
- "Though it's an agreeable urban runabout, the 2013 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport is outclassed by other small crossovers that are either more practical or more fun to drive." -- Edmunds
- "The Outlander Sport is a comfortable, livable vehicle with a versatile interior. It counters merely OK interior appointments and a subpar drivetrain with sporty handling and versatility that belies its tidy exterior size." -- Consumer Guide (2012)
- "Would I consider this over a Chevrolet Equinox or a Volkswagen Tiguan? Not with this drivetrain." -- AutoWeek (2011)
- "Given Mitsubishi’s perilous predicament in the U.S., we’re disappointed that the Sport seems to have received little thought beyond combining the Outlander’s styling with the Lancer parts bin. It’s refreshing to see a new vehicle that keeps its weight in check, and we’re always pleased when there’s a manual option, but those factors are far from enough to make the Outlander Sport the standout it needs to be." -- Car and Driver (2011)
Other SUVs to Consider
The Mazda CX-5 gets even better fuel economy ratings than the Outlander Sport, and reviewers appreciate the CX-5’s high-quality interior and ample cargo space. The CX-5 also wins praise from the automotive press for its nimble handling and fun driving dynamics.
If you like the Outlander Sport’s spacious back seat, don’t overlook the Subaru Forester. Reviewers love the Forester’s sporty handling and spacious interior. Though the base Forester costs a little more than the Outlander Sport, it also comes with standard all-wheel drive.
Details: 2013 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport
The 2013 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport seats five and comes with a five-speed manual transmission and front-wheel drive. A continuously variable transmission (CVT) and all-wheel drive are optional. The Outlander Sport comes in ES and SE trims, the latter of which adds more standard features and some upgraded interior materials. For 2013, the base Outlander Sport ES becomes available with all-wheel drive and all models get exterior styling updates and new seat fabrics. Since the Outlander Sport hasn’t changed much, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from 2011 and 2012, as well as the current model year.
Next Steps: Mitsubishi Outlander Sport
Get the U.S. News Best Price for the Mitsubishi Outlander Sport
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Mitsubishi Outlander Sport for sale (2,426 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Mitsubishi Outlander-Sport
- See what others paid for the 2013 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport
- View Mitsubishi Outlander Sport Photos
- See Affordable Compact SUVs rankings