Mitsubishi Outlander Sport Performance
The 2015 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport has a weak engines and lackluster acceleration, according to most reviewers. The Outlander Sport’s continuously variable transmission (CVT) also disappoints critics who say that it triggers a lot of engine noise. Still, a few think acceleration is adequate for in-town driving. Test drivers like Mitsubishi Outlander Sport’s comfortable ride and say it feels smooth over rough roads. While some automotive writers think its handling is fairly agile, others say the Outlander Sport’s handling isn’t as sporty as most competitors’.
- "Dynamically, the Sport disappoints by way of its limited power and erratic transmission behavior, yet, ride quality approaches best in class, and handling borders on sporty." -- Consumer Guide
- "It stumbles on the performance front, too. Its 148-horsepower engine lacks muscle relative to the competition and handling isn't nearly as sharp and responsive as you'd expect from a vehicle with ‘Sport’ in its name." -- Edmunds
Acceleration and Power
The 2015 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport comes with a 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine that produces 148 horsepower. An optional 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine that makes 168 horsepower is available. A five-speed manual transmission is standard and a CVT is available. The base Outlander Sport earns an EPA-estimated 24/30 mpg city/highway, which is slightly above average for the class.
Most reviewers are disappointed with the Outlander Sport’s engines, which they agree are underpowered and loud. The 2015 Outlander Sport also struggles to accelerate on the highway, they add. Still, a few test drivers say it has decent power around town. Some also report that the updated CVT causes a lot of engine noise, and doesn’t make the best use of the engine’s available power.
- "The 2.0-liter engine provides enough power for everyday errand running, but if you spend a lot of time in expressway traffic, you'll likely wish for quicker acceleration, especially in models with the CVT. That transmission design also results in more engine noise than you'll experience in competitors." -- Edmunds
- "I'll also side with Tom on engine noise, which is noticeably raucous, but only under acceleration, which is adequate if no more." -- Consumer Guide
- "The engine is this Mitsu's weak link. The mandatory 2.0-liter 4-cylinder is noisy and slow compared to others in the segment. …" -- AutoTrader (2014)
Handling and Braking
Most automotive writers agree that the 2015 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport has a comfortable ride and easily glides over rough roads. Some reviewers note that the Outlander Sport is easy to maneuver on curvy roads and has communicative steering, while others say its handling isn’t as sporty as that of many rivals. Front-wheel drive is standard, and all-wheel drive is available.
- "The Outlander Sport is as easy to maneuver around town as it is on twisting back roads. ..." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Even with sporty-looking 18-inch wheels and tires, the Outlander Sport's handling isn't especially sharp, and rival crossover SUVs feel both more athletic and more refined. The Mitsubishi's soft suspension tuning does make for a smooth ride, however, which gives the Outlander some appeal on longer commutes and road trips." -- Edmunds
- "Of the 2 types of Outlander, this tester thought ride and handling were better in the Sport. On the highway, it stepped smartly over surface imperfections without nosediving or wagging side-to-side. Steering was responsive and braking was good, too, though pedal travel may have been a little long." -- Consumer Guide
- "This is a softly sprung crossover designed for urban duty, and that's as it should be. The available all-wheel-drive system is a nice feature for snowy climes, but it doesn't transform the Outlander Sport into a real SUV by any means. Happily, the Sport is an agreeable companion on the pavement, riding smoothly and fairly quietly for a bargain-priced SUV." -- AutoTrader (2014)
Next Steps: Mitsubishi Outlander Sport
- View the best prices for the 2015 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport
- Search used Mitsubishi Outlander Sport for sale (None listings)
- See Affordable Compact SUVs rankings
- Find Best Deals: Purchase Deals Lease Deals Used Deals