Mitsubishi Outlander Review
The 2013 Mitsubishi Outlander ranks 21 out of 21 Affordable Midsize SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Mitsubishi Outlander, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2013 Mitsubishi Outlander is ranked:
The 2013 Mitsubishi Outlander has a solid powertrain and sporty handling, but reviewers say it falls short of other crossovers with shoddy interior material quality and an uncomfortable third row.
The Outlander’s drivetrain is one of its few bright spots, according to auto writers. While critics call the four-cylinder model adequately-powered, they prefer the available V6, which is more powerful and say feels smoother. The four-cylinder engine is paired to a continuously variable transmission (CVT), while the V6 is matched to a six-speed automatic transmission. Test drivers say the available six-speed automatic transmission provides smooth shifts. In terms of handling, critics feel that the Outlander is one of the sportier crossovers on the market, but can’t quite match the driving dynamics of class leaders. Its ride is a tad firmer than most in the class, but it avoids being harsh. The Outlander gets an EPA-estimated 22/28 mpg city/highway with the four-cylinder engine, which is good for the class. Keep in mind that the Outlander receives a below-average reliability score for the class.
The 2013 Mitsubishi Outlander seats up to seven in all trims except the base model, which seats five. Reviewers are thoroughly disappointed with the Outlander’s interior quality. They agree that the Outlander’s cabin is cheaply assembled and awash in flimsy plastics. Critics also dislike the optional navigation system’s cheesy, outdated graphics. First- and second-row seats provide good comfort and plenty of legroom, according to test drivers. The automotive press finds the available third-row seats thinly padded and not even comfortable for children. Despite being cheap-looking, test drivers think the audio and climate controls are intuitive and easy to read. Also, reviewers appreciate the tail/liftgate combo, which they say makes the cargo area easier to access.
- "With sporty, assertive styling and a handful of unique features, the 2013 Mitsubishi Outlander just keeps pace with its rapidly evolving compact crossover competitors." -- Edmunds
- "The Outlander differentiates itself from the competition with an array of optional tech features along with aggressive styling, generous cargo space and available (if snug) seating for seven." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "There's not much about it that makes me want to buy it over so many other competitors in its class." -- Automobile Magazine (2012)
- "But the devil is in the details, and a quick drive is all one needs to learn that Mitsubishi is peddling a … crossover that feels as if it was designed in 1996. Refinement is utterly absent from the moment one opens the door. …" -- AutoWeek (2012)
Other SUVs to Consider
If you’re looking for a quiet, comfortable interior in a midsize SUV, the Ford Edge is a good choice. Reviewers say the interior is made with high-quality materials and that the seats are comfortable. The Edge has a more powerful V6 base engine, but its fuel economy suffers as a result, and the Edge has less cargo space than the Outlander. Also, keep in mind that the Edge doesn’t have an optional third row and only has seating for up to five.
The Mazda CX-9 is considered the sportiest midsize crossover in its class. Test drivers have more positive things to say about the CX-9’s interior material quality than the Outlander. Also, critics note that the CX-9 can comfortably seat passengers in its third row.
Details: 2013 Mitsubishi Outlander
The 2013 Mitsubishi Outlander comes in three trims: ES, SE and GT. The Outlander comes with either a 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine paired with a CVT or an optional 3.0-liter V6 paired with a six-speed automatic transmission. Front-wheel drive is standard on all models and all-wheel drive is optional. The Outlander hasn’t changed much since 2007, so this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2007 through 2013 model years. Mitsubishi is planning to redesign the Outlander for the 2014 model year.
Next Steps: Mitsubishi Outlander
- View the best prices for the 2013 Mitsubishi Outlander
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2013 Mitsubishi Outlander
- Search used Mitsubishi Outlander for sale (4,663 listings)
- See Affordable Midsize SUVs rankings