Mitsubishi Outlander Review
The 2015 Mitsubishi Outlander ranks 22 out of 24 Affordable Compact SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Mitsubishi Outlander, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2015 Mitsubishi Outlander is ranked:
With its underpowered engine choices, limited cargo space and lackluster cabin materials, reviewers say the 2015 Mitsubishi Outlander falls short of many competing SUVs.
With either its base four-cylinder engine or optional V6, test drivers say the 2015 Outlander is underpowered and slow to accelerate. Some add that the four-cylinder model’s standard automatic transmission is noisy under hard acceleration. At 25/31mpg city/highway, fuel economy is one of the Outlander's strong points. Critics report that the 2015 Outlander has a comfortable ride, and some appreciate its composed handling. However, others dislike the Outlander’s cumbersome handling, saying that some competing SUVs feel more athletic.
Some test drivers are pleased with the design and materials used in the 2015 Mitsubishi Outlander’s cabin. However, others are unimpressed with its basic materials and the amount of wind noise at speed. Reviewers like the Outlander's front seats for their comfort and support, and they say there’s plenty of legroom in the second row. However, they note that the third row only offers enough space for children. The Outlander has less cargo space than most midsize SUVs and a number of compact SUVs. Standard features include Bluetooth, a USB port and Mitsubishi's voice-activated Fuse Hands-free Link system. Dual-zone automatic climate control, navigation, a nine-speaker Rockford Fosgate audio system, a rearview camera, front and rear parking sensors, a rear-seat entertainment system, adaptive cruise control and forward collision warning are optional. Test drivers report that the 2015 Outlander’s navigation system is hard to program, though some like that the Rockford Fosgate stereo can automatically adjust audio levels so that different songs play at the same volume.
- "Though its overall refinement doesn't match some class competitors, the Outlander is nevertheless a worthwhile entry in the compact SUV segment." -- Consumer Guide
- "The Mitsubishi Outlander is no newcomer to this segment, and the 2015 model benefits from a redesign that occurred just last year. The problem with this Mitsubishi, however, is that it doesn't excite or excel in any particular category." -- Edmunds
- "If power, refinement and resale value are among your top priorities, you'll be better off in a Subaru Outback, Nissan Rogue or Kia Sorento. A limited dealer network may also be a drawback, especially in more rural areas." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "There's nothing overtly wrong with the Outlander GT, but neither is there anything overtly right. Its competitors now deliver more soul-stirring and engaging dynamics, better interior quality, and more refined manners, leaving the Mitsubishi a step behind." -- Car and Driver (2014)
Other SUVs to Consider
The Nissan Rogue is available with a third-row seat, and it has more overall cargo space than the Outlander. Reviewers like its nicely appointed cabin, and it gets slightly better fuel economy than the Outlander.
The Hyundai Santa Fe Sport is available with a turbocharged four-cylinder engine that test drivers say gives it peppy acceleration. It has more cargo space than the Outlander, and reviewers like the Santa Fe Sport’s high-quality cabin materials.
Details: 2015 Mitsubishi Outlander
The 2015 Mitsubishi Outlander seats seven. Front-wheel drive is standard and all-wheel drive is optional. The Outlander comes in four trims. ES, SE and SE S-AWC trims come with a 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine and a CVT. The Outlander GT S-AWC has a 3.0-liter V6 engine and a six-speed automatic transmission. The Outlander was fully redesigned for the 2014 model year, but sees few significant changes for 2015. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2014 and 2015 model years.
Next Steps: Mitsubishi Outlander
- View the best prices for the 2015 Mitsubishi Outlander
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Mitsubishi Outlander
- Search used Mitsubishi Outlander for sale (1,356 listings)
- See Affordable Compact SUVs rankings