2015 Mitsubishi Outlander Review
Compared with SUVs in its class, auto journalists write that the 2015 Mitsubishi Outlander's less-powerful engine choices, minimal cargo room and dull cabin outfitting don't measure up.
The 2015 Outlander is sluggish getting up to speed because both the standard four-cylinder engine and optional V6 lack the necessary power for a car in this class, reviewers note. Further, the automatic transmission that is paired with the four-cylinder engine is loud when the Outlander accelerates. Fuel economy, at 25/31 mpg city/highway according to the EPA, is one of the Outlander's strong points. Critics report that the 2015 Outlander has a comfortable ride, and some appreciate its composed handling. However, others dislike the Outlander’s cumbersome handling, saying that some competing SUVs feel more athletic.
The 2015 Outlander's interior fails to catch many reviewers' eyes, and they are dissatisfied with the low-level materials and noticeable cabin noise at cruising speeds. The first- and second-row seats are favorably rated by test drivers for leg space and for comfort. However, they agree that adults will want to sit in either of these rows because the third offers dimensions better suited for children. Room for cargo is small relative to any number of automobiles in the Outlander's class. Standard features include Bluetooth, a USB port and Mitsubishi's voice-activated Fuse Hands-free Link system. Dual-zone automatic climate control, navigation, a nine-speaker Rockford Fosgate audio system, a rearview camera, front and rear parking sensors, a rear-seat entertainment system, adaptive cruise control and forward collision warning are optional. Test drivers report that the 2015 Outlander’s navigation system is hard to program, though some like that the Rockford Fosgate stereo can automatically adjust audio levels so that different songs play at the same volume.
- "Though its overall refinement doesn't match some class competitors, the Outlander is nevertheless a worthwhile entry in the compact SUV segment." -- Consumer Guide
- "The Mitsubishi Outlander is no newcomer to this segment, and the 2015 model benefits from a redesign that occurred just last year. The problem with this Mitsubishi, however, is that it doesn't excite or excel in any particular category." -- Edmunds
- "If power, refinement and resale value are among your top priorities, you'll be better off in a Subaru Outback, Nissan Rogue or Kia Sorento. A limited dealer network may also be a drawback, especially in more rural areas." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "There's nothing overtly wrong with the Outlander GT, but neither is there anything overtly right. Its competitors now deliver more soul-stirring and engaging dynamics, better interior quality, and more refined manners, leaving the Mitsubishi a step behind." -- Car and Driver (2014)
Mitsubishi Outlander Pictures & Videos
Other SUVs to Consider
The Nissan Rogue is available with a third-row seat, and it has more overall cargo space than the Outlander. Reviewers like its nicely appointed cabin, and it gets slightly better fuel economy than the Outlander.
The Hyundai Santa Fe Sport is available with a turbocharged four-cylinder engine that test drivers say gives it peppy acceleration. It has more cargo space than the Outlander, and reviewers like the Santa Fe Sport’s high-quality cabin materials.
Details: 2015 Mitsubishi Outlander
The 2015 Mitsubishi Outlander seats seven. Front-wheel drive is standard and all-wheel drive is optional. The Outlander comes in four trims. ES, SE and SE S-AWC trims come with a 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine and a CVT. The Outlander GT S-AWC has a 3.0-liter V6 engine and a six-speed automatic transmission. The Outlander was fully redesigned for the 2014 model year, but sees few significant changes for 2015. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2014 and 2015 model years.
Next Steps: Mitsubishi Outlander
- View the best prices for the 2015 Mitsubishi Outlander
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Mitsubishi Outlander
- Search used Mitsubishi Outlander for sale (1,356 listings)
- See Affordable Compact SUVs rankings
- Find Best Deals: Purchase Deals Lease Deals Used Deals