Nissan 370Z Performance
Reviewers agree that the 2014 Nissan 370Z is a compelling performer, thanks to its nimble handling, slick, rev-matching transmissions and powerful V6 engine.
- "The Z will impress you both off the line and on the open road." -- AutoTrader
- "Add it all up, and this is a great car for taking the long, curving way home." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The 2014 Nissan 370Z drives as if it can't wait to get to the racetrack." -- Edmunds
- "For those buyers looking for a quick weekend tourer capable of carving up and down a good mountain pass, the 370Z Roadster scratches most of the right itches." -- Road and Track
Acceleration and Power
The 2014 Nissan 370Z comes with a 3.7-liter V6 engine that generates 332 horsepower at 7,000 rpm and 270 pound-feet of torque at 5,200 rpm. NISMO 370Z models produce 350 horsepower at 7,400 rpm and 276 pound-feet of torque at 5,200 rpm. A six-speed manual transmission is standard and a seven-speed automatic is optional. Automatic models come with Nissan’s Downshift Rev system, while the optional Sport package adds the SynchroRev Match system to models with the six-speed manual. During gear changes, these systems adjust the engine speed to match the new gear, which facilitates smoother downshifts. The 2014 Nissan 370Z coupe gets an EPA-estimated 18/26 mpg city/highway, which is decent for an affordable sports car with a six-cylinder engine.
Test drivers are very impressed with the Nissan 370Z’s responsive and powerful V6 engine and slick-shifting transmissions. Critics say the standard manual transmission is the more entertaining of the two, but they like the automatic’s quick shifts, especially when using the steering wheel-mounted paddles. Additionally, reviewers love the SynchroRev Match system, saying that it makes downshifting particularly easy and precise.
- "Thanks to its strong engine and quick-shifting transmissions, the 2014 Nissan 370Z provides an abundance of power and acceleration." -- AutoTrader
- "Keeping it going is the terrific 3.7-liter V6 that feels as crisp as a new potato chip and, maybe because we're from an earlier time, we like sports cars to have manual gearboxes and the Z's is one of the best." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Both transmissions are quite likable, but if you drive stick, you've got to try the SynchroRev Match system. It'll make you feel like a professional racer with every perfectly rev-matched downshift." -- Edmunds
- "The automatic shifts crisply, and the steering-wheel paddles deliver quick, on-demand gear changes." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
Handling and Braking
Reviewers are very impressed with the 370Z’s agile handling. They say that the 370Z turns sharply, thanks to a communicative and responsive steering system, and they write that the 370Z remains planted and stable while cornering at high speeds.
- "Whether on sharp canyon switchbacks or a super-curvy racetrack, this car exhibits gobs of grip and virtually no body lean. Its blend of agility and balance inspires tremendous confidence." -- AutoTrader
- "The 370Z corners with very little body roll and the power steering delivers just the right blend of reduced effort with great on-center feel and predictable response." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Despite the extra heft, the Roadster feels good and light on its feet. Turn in is quick, and those stiff springs and aggressive dampers come into their own with a little fast action on the steering wheel." -- Road and Track
- "The 2014 Nissan 370Z drives as if it can't wait to get to the racetrack. The steering, though heavy in feel, is precise, with none of the numbness and delayed reaction time that characterize many modern systems." -- Edmunds