Nissan Altima Review
The 2015 Nissan Altima ranks 7 out of 21 Affordable Midsize Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Nissan Altima, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2015 Nissan Altima has fantastic fuel economy, and automotive journalists report that its sporty handling makes it more fun to drive than most affordable midsize cars.
The 2015 Nissan Altima’s standard four-cylinder engine provides plenty of power for passing and merging on the highway, according to critics. A V6 engine is also available, and test drivers say it delivers robust acceleration. Every Altima has an automatic transmission (continuously variable transmission), and while some say it makes the engine drone noisily, most point out that it is responsive and operates seamlessly. The four-cylinder 2015 Nissan Altima gets an EPA-estimated 27/38 mpg city/highway, which is outstanding for an affordable midsize car. Most automotive experts say the Altima has a comfortable ride, though a few think it’s too stiff on rough roads. However, critics agree that curvy roads are easily conquered in the 2015 Altima thanks to its nimble handling. Some reviewers write that the Altima’s steering is accurate, while others report that could provide more road feel.
Modern, attractive styling and first-rate materials make the 2015 Nissan Altima’s cabin one of the nicest in the class, according to critics, and features like the Altima’s ultra-comfortable, Zero Gravity front seats add to the cabin’s appeal. Most auto writers say the Altima’s rear seats have generous legroom, but headroom is limited for taller passengers. The 2015 Altima’s trunk size is about average for the class. Standard features include Bluetooth and push-button start. Available features include a USB/iPod input, satellite radio, hands-free text messaging, leather upholstery, proximity key, a rearview camera, lane departure warning, blind spot monitoring, rear cross traffic detection and a 7-inch touch-screen navigation system with NissanConnect smartphone app integration. Automotive experts note that the navigation system has a bright screen and straightforward system menus, and they like how it responds quickly to user inputs.
- "The 2015 Nissan Altima continues to be a top choice among family sedans, delivering excellent fuel economy and a rare blend of comfort and agility." -- Edmunds
- "With its Maxima-like good looks, and unique features such as its NASA-inspired zero-gravity seats, the Altima really does give shoppers a viable alternative to the Camry and Accord." -- AutoTrader
- "The 2015 Nissan Altima offers all the ‘best-of’ benefits of a Toyota Camry or Honda Accord, but without the midsize-sedan ‘me-too’ factor that inevitably comes with buying one of those cars. The fact that it delivers excellent fuel economy and subtly cool styling is icing on the cake." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The new Altima remains one of the most engaging family sedans, and now its fuel economy approaches 40 mpg on the highway. At that level, Nissan should have no problem attracting the most frugal family-sedan buyers. If you can get hybrid fuel economy without the cost of the battery packs and electric motors, why pay for them?" -- Popular Mechanics (2013)
Other Cars to Consider
Like the Altima, the Mazda6 gets great fuel economy and, according to test drivers, is one of the best-handling affordable midsize cars available. Reviewers also report that the Mazda6 has more rear-seat head- and legroom than many of its rivals.
The Ford Fusion also earns praise for its athletic handling and spacious back seat. The Fusion has a larger trunk than the Altima, and is available with all-wheel drive, which is unusual in this class.
Details: 2015 Nissan Altima
The 2015 Nissan Altima sedan seats five and comes in seven trims, ranging from the base 2.5 to the top-of-the-line 3.5 SL. The Altima comes standard with a 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine, a continuously variable transmission and front-wheel drive. A 3.5-liter V6 engine is available. The Nissan Altima sees few changes since its redesign for the 2013 model year, so this overview uses applicable research and reviews from 2013 through 2015 model years.
Next Steps: Nissan Altima
- View the best prices for the 2015 Nissan Altima
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Nissan Altima
- Search used Nissan Altima for sale (68,669 listings)
- See Affordable Midsize Cars rankings