2008 Nissan Altima Sedan Review
The Altima has a sporty ride, distinctive sleek styling, and one of the highest fuel ratings for non-hybrid vehicles in this segment, but it doesn't provide the standard appointments or comfortable rear seating of some of the class leaders.
According to our analysis, the 2008 Nissan Altima appeals to reviewers with its sporty nature, appearance and performance, but its practicality and overall quality is not as widely regarded as other affordable midsize sedans. Motor Trend says the Altima finishes fourth a comparison test with the Chevrolet Malibu, Honda Accord and Toyota Camry, noting the "winner on track and twisties comes up short for lack of polish and refinement." Most reviewers test drove the Altima in 2007, the same year it was redesigned. The 2008 Nissan Altima carries over virtually unchanged, but adds a new model -- the Nissan Altima Coupe. However, for reliability, reviews report the 2008 sedan is a solid alternative to the class favorites. In fact, Consumer Reports' most-recent reliability ratings place the Nissan Altima ahead of the Honda Accord and Toyota Camry.
The 2008 Nissan Altima sedan is available in four main trims, and is also offered as a two-door coupe, or the Nissan Altima Hybrid, available in eight states and reviewed on our site here. If the Altima isn't for you but you're still interested in a family sedan, consider the esteemed quality of a or Toyota Camry.
- "The Altima is a roomy and somewhat sportier alternative to the Honda Accord and Toyota Camry, which have been the major players in the mid-size-sedan market for years." -- Car and Driver
- "The Nissan Altima topped the redesigned Honda Accord in Consumer Reports' ratings of midpriced sedans. … The Accord V6 topped six other vehicles tested for the February issue, but it fell one-point shy of the Altima V6. The Camry XLE and Passat 2.0 ranked third and fourth, respectively." -- Detroit Free Press
- "There are many sound cars in this crowded segment, and the Altima is fresh and lively on top of that." -- U.S. News
- "Generally, the Altima impresses with an exciting mix of speed and agility. But as an overall package, it fails to grab you, lacking the refinement of the Accord, the posh cabin of the Malibu, and the intimacy of the Camry." -- Motor Trend
- "To be honest, for many of us, Nissan Altimas have been nice enough automobiles, but up against the gold standards of Toyota Camry and Honda Accord, they were a quarter turn off perfection." -- Road and Track
Next Steps: Nissan Altima Sedan
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Nissan Altima Sedan for sale (21,100 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Nissan Altima
- View Nissan Altima Sedan Photos
- See Affordable Midsize Cars rankings