Nissan Armada Review
The 2014 Nissan Armada ranks 8 out of 8 Affordable Large SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Nissan Armada, as well as reliability and safety data.
While the 2014 Nissan Armada has solid towing ability and a capable powertrain, other large SUVs offer more interior space, a more refined ride and better fuel economy.
The Nissan Armada comes with a V8 engine that most reviewers think provides good acceleration. The engine is mated to a five-speed automatic transmission that test drivers say shifts smoothly, although many of the Armada’s rivals have transmissions with more gears. The 2014 Nissan Armada gets up to an EPA-estimated 13/19 mpg city/highway, which is below average for a large SUV. Critics say the Armada is a smooth highway cruiser, but that it has a choppy ride on uneven roads. They think it handles fairly well for a large SUV and has strong brakes, though some say the steering could be more responsive. Still, test drivers agree that the Armada is a very capable vehicle if you want to tow or venture off-road.
Some critics say the 2014 Nissan Armada has an attractive, high-quality interior, but others think that it has cheap interior trim materials and boring styling. Most reviewers agree that the first- and second-row seats are comfortable, but they think that passenger space is tight in the third-row, though this is a common complaint for three-row SUVs. The Armada also has one of the smaller overall cargo areas in the large SUV class. Although critics agree that the gauges and interior controls in the base Armada are easy to read and operate, it lacks several features that are offered in its competitors, such as an optional blind spot monitoring system or a standard backup camera. The Armada comes equipped with dual-zone automatic climate control, Bluetooth phone connectivity, an eight-speaker stereo system, an auxiliary input, a USB port and satellite radio. Available features include leather upholstery, Bluetooth streaming audio, a backup camera, an upgraded Bose stereo system, a rear-seat entertainment system and a touch-screen navigation system.
- "The 2014 Nissan Armada is as traditional as an SUV gets. Its heavy-duty, body-on-frame utility is intended for hauling, towing and treading off-road. This means you can expect trucklike ride quality and subpar fuel economy -- two attributes that are not very popular among family buyers." -- AutoTrader
- "In the Armada, you get a very well-engineered SUV with a powerful V8, a 9,000-pound tow rating and seats for seven or eight." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "An all-new model back in 2004, the Armada is getting on a bit in years but is still a good choice for those looking to do large amounts of people or cargo hauling." -- Left Lane News
- "The Armada's only real problem is that it doesn't quite measure up to its handful of full-size SUV rivals. The 2013 Chevy Tahoe, 2013 Ford Expedition and 2013 Toyota Sequoia all best the Armada in terms of ride quality, third-row legroom, cargo room and extent of available features and options." -- Edmunds (2013)
Other SUVs to Consider
Reviewers say the Toyota Sequoia has a powerful engine and a smooth, comfortable ride. They also like the Sequoia’s third row, which they say is roomy enough to comfortably accommodate adults.
If you’ve got a lot of stuff to haul, the Chevrolet Suburban has a much larger cargo area than the Armada. The Suburban can also carry up to nine people when equipped with a front bench seat, and critics say it has a very comfortable ride.
Details: 2014 Nissan Armada
The 2014 Nissan Armada seats eight people in three rows. It comes with a 5.6-liter V8 engine and a five-speed automatic transmission. Rear-wheel drive is standard and four-wheel drive is optional. The Armada is available in four trims: SV, SL, Platinum and Platinum with Platinum Reserve Package. The Armada hasn’t been fully redesigned since its debut for the 2004 model year, but it did receive a major update for model year 2008. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2008 through 2014 model years.
Next Steps: Nissan Armada
- View the best prices for the 2014 Nissan Armada
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Nissan Armada
- Search used Nissan Armada for sale (1,970 listings)
- See Affordable Large SUVs rankings