Nissan Frontier Review
The 2014 Nissan Frontier ranks 3 out of 3 Compact Pickup Trucks. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Nissan Frontier, as well as reliability and safety data.
Reviewers say the 2014 Nissan Frontier offers a comfortable ride and a powerful V6 engine option, though some competing crew cab trucks offer more back-seat passenger space.
The Nissan Frontier comes with a standard four-cylinder engine. An optional V6 earns praise for its ample power in nearly all situations. A manual transmission is standard with either engine and a five-speed automatic is optional. Test drivers write that the automatic transmission is well-matched to the V6 engine, and that it downshifts quickly when more power is needed. Fuel economy is up to an EPA-estimated 19/23 mpg city/highway, which is a bit less than that of a comparably-equipped Toyota Tacoma. Reviewers are impressed with the Frontier's comfortable ride, and they say that the Frontier handles fairly well for a pickup. Some critics report that the Frontier's steering is a bit slow, which hurts maneuverability in low-speed settings like parking lots.
Reviewers say that the Frontier's cab has a functional design and is constructed with sturdy plastics. They note that the dash is uncluttered and that the Frontier features simple controls. Most reviewers say the Frontier's front seats are comfortable and supportive, though they also note that the four-seat King Cab's rear jump seats are quite cramped. The five-seat Crew Cab has more useable rear-seat passenger space. A four-speaker stereo is standard, while options include air conditioning, an AM/FM/CD stereo, a 10-speaker Rockford Fosgate stereo system, a USB port, Bluetooth, satellite radio, a navigation system with a 5.8-inch touch-screen display, dual-zone automatic climate control and a backup camera.
- "If you're looking for a tough and affordable truck with serious off-road credentials, but you don't have the space for a full-size pickup, the 2014 Nissan Frontier is the perfect solution." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Still, the Frontier is a solid choice for those who don't need or want the bulk of a full-size pickup." -- Consumer Guide
- "Of course the Frontier is capable of more than just off-the-beaten-path exploration. Thanks to plenty of different variations, Nissan's smallest pickup works equally well in the city whether you're looking for a no-nonsense work truck or something to schlepp teenagers around in. In fact, the biggest negative you're likely to find here is that the rear seats force occupants to sit bolt upright, especially in extended cab models." -- Edmunds (2013)
- "A favorite in the mid-size-pickup market, the Frontier blends truck usefulness with sportiness." -- Car and Driver (2012)
Other Trucks to Consider
Reviewers say the Toyota Tacoma has a high-quality interior, a strong V6 engine and spacious rear seats in Double Cab models. The base Tacoma also gets slightly better fuel economy than the base Frontier, and it’s available in more cab configurations.
The Honda Ridgeline has a higher base price, but it comes standard with a V6 engine and all-wheel drive. Additionally, reviewers say that the Ridgeline has one of the most comfortable rides in the class, as well as precise steering and strong brakes.
Details: 2014 Nissan Frontier
The 2014 Nissan Frontier comes in four-seat King Cab and five-seat Crew Cab configurations. A 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine and five-speed manual transmission are standard, while a 4.0-liter V6 and six-speed manual transmission are optional. A five-speed automatic transmission and four-wheel drive are optional. The Frontier is available in S, SV, Desert Runner, Pro-4X and SL (Crew Cab only) trims. The Frontier has been largely unchanged since 2005. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from 2014 and prior model years.
Next Steps: Nissan Frontier
- View the best prices for the 2014 Nissan Frontier
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Nissan Frontier
- Search used Nissan Frontier for sale (4,576 listings)
- See Compact Pickup Trucks rankings