Nissan Maxima Interior
The redesigned 2016 Nissan Maxima has a luxurious interior with first-rate materials, according to auto writers. Some say that the higher trims have nicer interiors than most other cars in the Maxima's price range. Critics are also impressed with the Maxima's easy-to-use infotainment system. However, they point out that the Maxima is closer in size to a midsize car than a full-size car, so its back seat and trunk space are no match for those of its larger rivals.
- "But while the new Maxima may be less four-door sports car, it's much more full-on luxury car. That fact is best reflected in the eighth-generation Maxima's handsome new cabin. Particularly on the SR and Platinum trims that we drove, the interior is easily the best in its class." -- Autoblog
- "The hushed, almost-an-Infiniti cabin is a Maxima high point." -- Automobile Magazine
- "The 2016 Maxima's interior sets a new high-water mark for Nissan cabins. Occupants are surrounded by quality materials, thoughtful details and a healthy helping of amenities." -- AutoTrader
- "Despite its flagship status, the new Nissan Maxima is actually a little smaller inside than the mainstream Nissan Altima sedan. However, the Altima can't compare to the new Maxima's luxury." -- Kelley Blue Book
Nissan Maxima Pictures
The 2016 Nissan Maxima seats five. Base S models come standard with cloth upholstery and power-adjustable front seats, while higher trims feature leather and other premium materials. Other available features include heated and cooled front seats, a heated steering wheel, driver seat position memory and a power rear sunshade.
The 2016 Maxima's front seats are comfortable and very supportive, reviewers agree. They note that the Maxima's back seats are smaller than those in most full-size rivals. Most adults will have enough head- and legroom, critics say, but taller adults may not.
- "Front-seat occupants sit on Nissan's zero-gravity seats, which provide excellent support. The rear seat has enough room for three people, but the Maxima competes with full-size cars, and its rear seat can't match the space of many of those rivals." -- AutoTrader
- "Backseats can accommodate average-size adults with just enough head- and legroom, but taller passengers will find both lacking and thigh support in short supply." -- Edmunds
- "The driver and front passenger easily get comfortable thanks to power seats and tilt-telescope steering, but the rear seat's lack of head and legroom may leave tall passengers complaining." -- Kelley Blue Book
Standard features in the 2016 Nissan Maxima include dual-zone automatic climate control, a proximity key, push-button start, a rearview camera and a NissanConnect infotainment system, which features an eight-speaker sound system, satellite radio, HD Radio, Bluetooth, two USB ports, navigation, voice command recognition and two display screens: an 8-inch touch screen in the center of the dashboard and a 7-inch display in the gauge cluster. The infotainment system can be controlled with either the touch screen, which recognizes smartphone-style gestures like swiping and pinching, or a control knob that's mounted on the center console. Available features include a dual-panel panoramic moonroof and an 11-speaker Bose sound system. New safety and convenience features available for 2016 include a 360-degree Around View parking camera system, front and rear parking sensors, blind spot monitoring, rear cross traffic alert, forward collision warning with automatic braking, adaptive cruise control and a driver alertness monitor, which reads your steering inputs for signs of driver fatigue.
Reviewers write that the 2016 Maxima's infotainment system is user-friendly and features crisp graphics. They say its touch-screen controls and center-mounted control knob work well, and they note that the rest of the Maxima's dashboard controls and gauges are easy to find and use.
- "A tandem 8-inch central screen and 7-inch driver's display likely set the class standard for sharp graphics and no-fuss operation, including smartphone-style swiping, pinching, even widget programming. ... The Maxima's knurled Display Commander knob smoothly complements the touch display." -- Automobile Magazine
- "The sharp 8-inch touchscreen display responds to pinch-to-zoom commands like a smartphone and is supported by a dial controller placed right where your hand rests. The Maxima's system gets high marks for ease of use." -- Edmunds
- "The dash and instrumentation are well laid-out and attractive, constructed of price-appropriate (read: not cheap-feeling) materials and intuitively organized." -- Left Lane News
The 2016 Nissan Maxima has 14.3 cubic feet of trunk space, which is small for an affordable large car, but larger than the trunks in luxury competitors like the Acura TLX and Audi A4. The Maxima comes standard with a 60/40 split-folding rear seat that expands the cargo area. Reviewers note that the trunk has a wide opening and covered hinges that won't crush your cargo. They also like the bin in the center console.
- "The Maxima's 14.3-cubic-foot trunk is smaller than most of its competitors', but it's about 1 cubic foot bigger than the TLX's. The trunk is nicely shaped, and the trunk lid's support arms move within an enclosed area, so there's no risk of them crushing your cargo." -- Cars.com
- "Cargo space, on the other hand, is slightly above average with a maximum 14.3 cubic-foot capacity. The wide opening, mostly unobstructed floor and the remote rear-seat releases further enhance utility." -- Edmunds
- "Actual smartphones can fit inside a deep covered console bin, which can also prop a phone to easily view its screen." -- Automobile Magazine
- "Space and storage are plentiful. Storage for small items is highlighted by a media hub with two USB ports and an auxiliary jack. This cubby is big enough to fit an iPhone 6 Plus and has a slot that allows phones to sit vertically so drivers can see messages as they arrive." -- AutoTrader
Next Steps: Nissan Maxima
- View the best prices for the 2016 Nissan Maxima
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2016 Nissan Maxima
- Search used Nissan Maxima for sale (10,427 listings)
- See Affordable Large Cars rankings
- Find Best Deals: Purchase Deals Lease Deals Used Deals