Nissan Murano Review
The 2014 Nissan Murano ranks 6 out of 15 Affordable Midsize SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Nissan Murano, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2014 Nissan Murano is ranked:
With sporty handling, a responsive V6 engine and an upscale interior, test drivers say the 2014 Nissan Murano is an appealing midsize SUV.
The Murano comes with a V6 engine that auto writers say makes good power. A continuously variable transmission (CVT) is standard, which test drivers say has smooth power delivery, but can occasionally feel lazy from a stop. Fuel economy is up to an EPA-estimated 18/24 mpg city/highway, which is on par for the class. Reviewers think that the regular Murano has sporty handling and a refined ride. Many write that the Murano’s brakes have plenty of stopping power, though some complain that the steering is light and feels vague, which detracts from the Murano’s sporty character. Additionally, other test drivers note that the convertible Murano CrossCabriolet isn’t as nimble as the standard Murano.
Test drivers say the 2014 Nissan Murano’s cabin has high-quality materials and an upscale design that wouldn't look out of place in a luxury SUV. They think the front seats offer ample support and head- and legroom, and the back seats are spacious and comfortable. Test drivers report that the CrossCabriolet’s two rear seats also offer adult-size space, which isn’t always the case with convertibles. Cargo space is typical for a two-row crossover, and the CrossCabriolet offers comparable cargo space to other convertibles, but less than what most SUVs have. Reviewers report that the audio and climate controls are easy to adjust and logically arranged. Standard features include dual-zone automatic climate control and a six-speaker stereo. Bluetooth, a backup camera, navigation, satellite radio and a rear-seat entertainment system are optional.
- "The 2014 Nissan Murano is a crossover that stands out in a sea of crossovers. With its modern and stylish design, sporting personality and well-crafted interior, it is a breath of fresh air in a segment that now suffers from the saturation of so many lookalike models. The Murano looks and feels anything but homogenized." -- AutoTrader
- "The Nissan Murano is a quiet, comfortable and refined midsize crossover with a curvaceous look that sets it apart from its rivals. While it returns only middling fuel economy, the rest of the Murano is strong enough to warrant a serious look from those seeking a solid five-passenger crossover." -- Left Lane News
- "Surprisingly, it is kind of fun, with lots of luxury features and a compliant ride. Putting the top down is what the CrossCabriolet is all about; driving dynamics and utility take a back seat; speaking of which, there are two, and they are roomy enough for adults. This pricey odd duck is now in its fourth model year without a direct competitor arising to challenge it. There is probably a good reason for that." -- Car and Driver
- "But there's more to the Murano than just styling, and it remains a solid choice for a midsize crossover SUV." -- Edmunds (2013)
Other SUVs to Consider
The Jeep Grand Cherokee is a reviewer favorite for its upscale interior, refined eight-speed automatic transmission and unmatched off-road capability. Additionally, the Grand Cherokee offers a turbodiesel V6 engine that helps it return good fuel economy for the class.
Reviewers say the Ford Edge has refined, sporty handling and a spacious, comfortable interior. The Edge is available with a turbocharged four-cylinder engine that reviewers note has ample power, and it also helps the Edge get great fuel economy for the class.
Details: 2014 Nissan Murano
The 2014 Nissan Murano seats five and is available in S, SV, SL and LE trims. The convertible Murano CrossCabriolet seats four and comes in one trim. The base Murano comes standard with front-wheel drive. All-wheel drive is standard on the Murano CrossCabriolet and optional on the regular Murano. Power comes from a 3.5-liter V6 engine, which is paired with a continuously variable transmission. The Murano was last fully redesigned for the 2009 model year. Since it sees no major changes for 2014, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2009 to 2014 model years.
Next Steps: Nissan Murano
- View the best prices for the 2014 Nissan Murano
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Nissan Murano
- Search used Nissan Murano for sale (7,824 listings)
- See Affordable Midsize SUVs rankings