Nissan Pathfinder Review
The 2015 Nissan Pathfinder ranks 11 out of 15 Affordable Midsize SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Nissan Pathfinder, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2015 Nissan Pathfinder is ranked:
The 2015 Nissan Pathfinder gets great fuel economy and has an upscale cabin, but it offers less cargo space than rivals and its transmission can be noisy, reviewers say.
With a standard V6 engine and automatic transmission, reviewers think the 2015 Pathfinder has plenty of power, though some critics comment that the transmission is loud under hard acceleration. The Pathfinder's EPA fuel economy rating of 20/27 mpg city/highway is great for the class. A few test drivers say the Nissan Pathfinder isn't the most athletic SUV in the class, especially in comparison with competitors like the Mazda CX-9. However, most are pleased with the Pathfinder’s controlled body motions, responsive steering and supple ride.
According to reviewers, the 2015 Nissan Pathfinder's cabin is attractive and has first-rate materials. Test drivers say the Pathfinder's front and middle rows of seats are spacious, and they note that the sliding middle row makes it easy to access the third row. Some reviewers are pleased with the amount of space in the third row, while others caution that adults may not have sufficient legroom. The Pathfinder has less overall cargo space than many three-row midsize SUVs. Tri-zone automatic climate control and a six-speaker audio system with an auxiliary input jack are standard. Options include a USB port, a 13-speaker Bose audio system, a rear-seat entertainment system, Bluetooth, navigation with an 8-inch touch screen, rear parking sensors and either a rearview camera or Nissan's Around View Monitor, which gives a 360-degree view around the vehicle. According to reviewers, the Pathfinder has straightforward knobs and buttons for audio controls and the navigation's touch screen is user-friendly.
- "For its latest redesign, the Nissan Pathfinder has ditched its previous truck-based platform in favor of carlike unibody underpinnings. While this means that tackling trails is no longer its forte, the switch does endow the Pathfinder with class-leading fuel economy and improved on-road manners to go along with a well-furnished cabin with seating for seven." -- Left Lane News
- "The 2013 redesign put the Pathfinder more in step with the SUV market, which relies heavily on car-based crossovers, though it didn't move it to the front of the pack among three-row crossovers." -- Cars.com
- "With its stylish cabin and respectable fuel economy ratings, the 2015 Nissan Pathfinder is a solid choice for a seven-passenger crossover SUV. But you might find some competitors more appealing overall." -- Edmunds
- "Once known for its rugged body-on-frame design, the 2015 Nissan Pathfinder has morphed into a much more family-friendly crossover SUV, with a roomy, modern interior, good ride and handling characteristics and impressive power. … Up against such heavyweights as the Ford Explorer, Dodge Durango and Toyota Highlander, the Pathfinder holds its own. …" -- Kelley Blue Book
Other SUVs to Consider
The Buick Enclave impresses reviewers with its hushed ride and luxurious cabin. The Enclave has substantially more cargo space than the Pathfinder, and test drivers note that it has one of the more spacious third rows in the class.
According to test drivers, the Ford Flex's third row is easy to get into, and the Flex has a bit more overall cargo space than the Pathfinder. Most reviewers say the Flex has high-quality interior materials, and they note that the optional turbocharged V6 delivers strong acceleration.
Details: 2015 Nissan Pathfinder
The 2015 Nissan Pathfinder seats seven and has standard front-wheel drive or optional all-wheel drive. A 3.5-liter V6 engine and continuously variable transmission (CVT) are standard. There are four trim levels: S, SV, SL and Platinum. The Pathfinder was fully redesigned in 2013 and sees few changes this model year. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2013 through 2015 model years.
Next Steps: Nissan Pathfinder
- View the best prices for the 2015 Nissan Pathfinder
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Nissan Pathfinder
- Search used Nissan Pathfinder for sale (5,731 listings)
- See Affordable Midsize SUVs rankings