2009 Nissan Titan Performance
This performance review was written when the 2009 Nissan Titan was new.
On the road, reviewers like the 2009 Nissan Titan's performance. Reviewers say one of the Titan's best features is its strong V8 engine, with the smooth automatic transmission placing a close second.
- "Smooth, powerful V8 puts Titan among quickest large trucks off the line. Passing punch is ample. The transmission upshifts smoothly and downshifts promptly." -- Consumer Guide
- ""The Titan's tractable 5.6-liter V8 delivers plenty of muscle right from idle. It sounds great, too, but that booming exhaust note can grow tiresome on long drives." -- Edmunds
Acceleration and Power
The 2009 Nissan Titan only provides one engine option. The Titan's engine is an Endurance 5.6-liter V8 with 317 horsepower and 385 pound-feet of torque -- and reviewers couldn't be happier-except when it comes time to get gas. Both the rear-wheel and all-wheel drive Titan rate at 12 miles per gallon in the city and 17 mpg on the highway, according to the Environmental Protection Agency's ratings.
- ""We found the Titan's V8 engine felt strong at all speeds, with loads of power on demand. " -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Feels and sounds like the granddaddy of all truck engines." --Car and Driver
- "Smooth, powerful V8 puts Titan amongst quickest large trucks off the line," -- Consumer Guide
- "The five-speed automatic lags a bit in kick-down response, and its shifts are on the slow side. Fortunately there's enough power that the laziness rarely detracts from the driving experience. Without any downshifts, I was able to comfortably pass on the highway, scooting from 60 to 70 mph in fifth gear at just 1,900 rpm" -- Cars.com
Handling and Braking
Reviewers are generally pleased with the 2009 Nissan Titan's ride, braking and handling.
- "The Titan's road manners are what truly distinguish this pickup from the old guard. Grab the wheel, and the road grabs back,"-- Automobile Magazine
- "The Titan doesn't punish rides with shudders and undue bounciness." --MSN
- "The 2009 Nissan Titan's precise, linear steering with nicely weighted effort makes the truck relatively nimble and easy to drive on pavement. However, the rather stiff suspension (especially on Pro-4X models) can make the Titan feel skittish in off-road situations." -- Edmunds
- "Steering is notably more communicative than the full-size truck norm. You can pick a line and hold it, without sawing back and forth in search of an elusive on-center feel." -- Motor Trend
- "The Titan delivers a smooth, controlled ride and exhibits better-than-average steering and handling response." -- Kelley Blue Book