2009 Porsche 911 Carrera Review
The 911 Carrera is the quintessential sports car -- balancing power and handling along with comfort and usability. It sets the bar for sports performance at such a high level that few competitors dare approach.
Refreshed for 2009, the Porsche 911 Carrera takes its world-renown design and performance capabilities to a whole new level, which leaves critics with little to complain about. "Suspension, brakes, lighting, interior and exterior styling all were massaged for the Carrera and Carrera S, and the process has resulted in the best 911 yet," writes Motor Trend. "We drove both models on a drizzly day over autobahn and narrow German back roads, and all we could do at the end of the drive was shake our heads in admiration: They've done it again. They've built a better 911."
Still, be sure to test drive Nissan's all new supercar, the GT-R, before making up your mind to buy a 911 Carrera. Boasting a 480-horsepower twin-turbo V6 engine, this street demon blasts from 0 to 60 mph in just 3.3 seconds -- making it hard for even high-priced exotics like the Gallardo LP-560 and 599 GTB Fiorano to keep pace. In fact, the GT-R was recently named Motor Trend's 2009 Car of the Year. Needless to say, it's worth a look.
This review covers the following 2009 911 Carrera trims: base, S, 4, 4S, Targa 4 and Targa 4S. With the exception of the Targa 4 and 4S, which feature an electric glass roof, all other models are offered in both Coupe and Cabriolet (convertible) body styles. For even greater sports performance, check out the 911 Turbo and GT2 models.
- "The 911 has always exuded a unique charm, and that's equally true of these new ones. Along with the intimate interior, pleasing overall compactness and entertaining engine noises, the 2009 models offer elevated levels of refinement and sophistication." -- Popular Mechanics
- "Its looks haven't changed much over forty years, but it's the subtle improvements that make each new 911 so great. And if you still haven't driven one after all this time, you're probably one of those misguided souls who think the horizontally opposed, shoved-up-the-wazoo engine makes the 911 nothing more than an overhyped, overpriced VW Beetle derivative. But you're wrong. Drive a 911, and you'll want to buy it. If you can't afford a new one, get a used one. It'll fit the bill just fine until this 2009 model comes down in price. Because this is the 911 you really want." -- Automobile Magazine
- "The 2009 Porsche 911 is the quintessential sports car with all-new features and a unique blend of performance, luxury and style. ... Few modern sports cars are worthy to be deemed icons. With its classic design and prestigious motorsports pedigree, the rear-engine Porsche 911 is one of the most enduring and historically important high-performance cars on the market today." -- Edmunds
- "As always with Porsche, the prices are high, but if you can afford the cars, you won't be disappointed." -- Car and Driver
Next Steps: Porsche 911 Carrera
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Porsche 911 Carrera for sale (1,743 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Porsche 911-Carrera
- View Porsche 911 Carrera Photos
- See Super Luxury Sports Cars rankings