Porsche Boxster Review
The 2014 Porsche Boxster ranks 1 out of 10 Luxury Sports Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Porsche Boxster, as well as reliability and safety data.
With extraordinary handling and a modern interior design, critics agree that the 2014 Porsche Boxster is in a league of its own.
Both the base Boxster and the more powerful Boxster S have six-cylinder engines that reviewers say provide strong acceleration and smooth power delivery. Both models come standard with a six-speed manual transmission, which test drivers think offers precise, engaging shifting. A seven-speed automated manual is optional, and automotive journalists say it delivers very quick, well-timed shifts. The base 2014 Porsche Boxster gets an EPA-estimated 20/30 mpg city/highway, which is very good for a luxury sports car. Reviewers agree that superb handling and a firm, yet comfortable, ride contribute to the Boxster’s outstanding performance. They think the Boxster’s electric steering system is precise and responsive, and they say the brakes are remarkably strong.
The 2014 Boxster borrows interior styling cues from Porsche models like the 911 and Panamera, and reviewers think that the cabin has a pleasing, contemporary design and top-notch materials. Reviewers say it’s easy to find a good driving position in the Boxster, and they think both seats are supportive. Critics are also impressed with the Boxster’s power convertible top, which can be opened or closed while the car is traveling at up to 31 mph. Standard features include partial leather seats, a four-speaker audio system, Bluetooth phone connectivity, an auxiliary jack and an infotainment system with a 7-inch touch-screen display. Available features include full leather seats, power-adjustable seats, heated and ventilated seats, dual-zone automatic climate control, a 10-speaker Bose audio system, HD Radio, satellite radio and navigation.
- "Recently redesigned from A to Z, the latest iteration is the most powerful, luxurious and fuel efficient Boxster ever, but it stays true to the time-honored formula that made its forbears special." -- Left Lane News
- "If you're just as enthusiastic about the act of driving a performance roadster as you are about the appeal of driving one, the Porsche Boxster will deliver on both desires." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "It's a brilliant blend of track-capable handling along with the sort of inherent comfort that allows you to thoroughly enjoy the new roadster over extended highway journeys. It is a car that allows you to have your cake and eat it, too." -- Edmunds (2013)
- "A five-hour drive through the mountains and villages outside of Nice proves that Porsche continues to be a master in the subtle art of refinement." -- Autoblog (2013)
Other Sports Cars to Consider
Critics love the BMW Z4’s transmission options, which include a precise manual shifter and smooth-shifting automated manual. The Z4 also has a hardtop convertible roof, which critics like.
The all-new Chevrolet Corvette Stingray is faster to 60 mph than the Boxster, and it offers significantly more horsepower while delivering nearly identical highway fuel economy. The Corvette Stingray also has more cargo space, and it comes with standard features that are optional in the Boxster, such as dual-zone automatic climate control.
Details: 2014 Porsche Boxster
The 2014 Porsche Boxster seats two, has rear-wheel drive and comes in base and Boxster S trims. The base Boxster features a 2.7-liter six-cylinder engine and the Boxster S has a 3.4-liter six-cylinder engine. Both models come standard with a six-speed manual transmission and are available with a seven-speed automated manual. The Porsche Boxster hasn’t changed much since its redesign last year, so this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2013 and 2014 model years.
Next Steps: Porsche Boxster
- View the best prices for the 2014 Porsche Boxster
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Porsche Boxster
- Search used Porsche Boxster for sale (895 listings)
- See Luxury Sports Cars rankings