Porsche Boxster Review
The 2013 Porsche Boxster ranks 2 out of 10 Luxury Sports Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of 7 published reviews and test drives of the Porsche Boxster, and our analysis of reliability and safety data.
Stellar performance, an upscale cabin and new exterior styling makes the 2013 Porsche Boxster better than ever. Test drivers agree that the competition just got tougher for rival sports cars.
If you’re shopping for a two-seat roadster, you have plenty of options, but test drivers agree that if performance is a top priority, it’s tough to beat the Porsche Boxster. The Boxster has been thoroughly redesigned for 2013, and reviewers say that although it’s slightly larger than the outgoing model, all of that well-known Boxster goodness carries over.
As a result, most critics say that in many ways, the 2013 Boxster is even better than before. Its interior design borrows styling cues from higher-priced siblings like the 911 and Panamera, and thanks to its longer wheelbase and wider track, many reviewers note that the new Boxster is more confidence-inspiring on a winding road. “It's a brilliant blend of track-capable handling along with the sort of inherent comfort that allows you to thoroughly enjoy the new roadster over extended highway journeys,” writes Edmunds. “It is a car that allows you to have your cake and eat it, too.”
Despite all of its improvements, the 2013 Boxster has received some criticism. A few reviewers dislike its new steering system, and one says that because of its larger size, the 2013 Boxster feels less nimble than it used to. However, even these critics can’t deny that the new Boxster excels with quicker 0 to 60 mph times and inspiring driving dynamics. So if you’re looking for legendary performance in a new, stylish package, auto writers agree that the redesigned 2013 Porsche Boxster should be at the top of your list.
Other Sports Cars to Consider
If you’re willing to sacrifice some refinement and interior quality for better acceleration, consider the Chevrolet Corvette. Although reviewers agree that the Corvette isn’t as nimble, in some respects it’s more practical, thanks to a lower base price and more cargo space.
While the Boxster’s performance holds rival luxury sports cars to a high standard, the BMW Z4 is a good option if you want a two-seat roadster that’s more comfortable. Additionally, the Z4’s retractable hardtop should please those who want a convertible, but want protection from the elements that’s a bit stronger.
2013 Porsche Boxster: The Details
The Porsche Boxster has been completely redesigned for 2013 and comes in two trims: the base Boxster and the more powerful Boxster S. Both models come with a six-cylinder engine and a manual transmission. Porsche’s PDK automated manual transmission is optional on both models.
- "The Boxster is still a very connected, very visceral drive, no matter what all the improvements to ride quality and refinement might lead you to expect. We're left unsupervised on the track for a couple of hours and, frankly, it's gut-wrenching to hand back the keys." -- Automobile Magazine
- "The Boxster remains the only mid-engine sports car in its class, and we'd wager that this new version will sit right up front when it meets its peers in a future comparison test." -- Car and Driver
- "Part of the unspoken contract between sports car and owner is that there will be a tradeoff in ride quality and all other manner of coddling. In return for putting up with steering that must be constantly minded, a sensitive throttle pedal, and the rest, the car will be more exciting to drive. The Boxster's lost some of that." -- Motor Trend
- "A five-hour drive through the mountains and villages outside of Nice proves that Porsche continues to be a master in the subtle art of refinement." -- Autoblog
Next Steps: Porsche Boxster
Get the U.S. News Best Price for the Porsche Boxster
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Porsche Boxster for sale (786 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Porsche Boxster
- See what others paid for the 2013 Porsche Boxster
- View Porsche Boxster Photos
- See Luxury Sports Cars rankings