Porsche Boxster Performance
Reviewers agree that the 2014 Porsche Boxster stands a notch above other luxury sports cars with exceptionally agile handling and strong, responsive powertrains.
- "With good power always on tap and an architecture that's stiffer yet lighter than previous-generation models, the 2014 Porsche Boxster drives exactly as your imagination would insist a sports car should." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Before Porsche began building SUVs and sedans, the German automaker's sole raison d'etre was creating sports cars - pure, lightweight rides that forged a bond between man and machine through tactile steering and nimble chassis dynamics. Today, the Boxster and Boxster S roadsters stand as the embodiment of Porsche's core sports car philosophy." -- Left Lane News
- "The result is a driving experience every bit as captivating as any previous Boxster model but with little or no compromise to its everyday abilities." -- Edmunds (2013)
- "The roads were perfect. The new Boxster even more so." -- Autoblog (2013)
Acceleration and Power
The base Boxster has a 2.7-liter six-cylinder engine that generates 265 horsepower at 6,700 rpm and 206 pound-feet of torque at 4,400 to 6,500 rpm. The Boxster S has a 3.4-liter six-cylinder engine that produces 315 horsepower at 6,700 rpm and 266 pound-feet of torque at 4,500 to 5,800 rpm. Both models come standard with a six-speed manual transmission and are available with a seven-speed automated manual. The base 2014 Porsche Boxster gets an EPA-estimated 20/30 mpg city/highway, which is very good for a luxury sports car. When equipped with the automated manual transmission, both models are available with a Sport Chrono package that improves acceleration. Porsche says that a Boxster S with the Sport Chrono package has a top speed of 172 mph and will accelerate from 0 to 60 mph in 4.5 seconds.
Test drivers agree that both the base Boxster and the Boxster S have powerful engines that deliver strong acceleration. They say the standard manual transmission keeps the driver engaged with a shifter that has short, precise throws, while the available automated manual offers lightning-quick shifts that are perfectly timed.
- "The transmission is brilliant, with short throws and a satisfying mechanical feel that the $3200 seven-speed dual-clutch automatic can never replicate. However, the PDK dual-clutch seven-speed is also pretty outstanding." -- Car and Driver (2013)
- "From 3,000 rpm up to 6,000 rpm, it is fantastically strong and, with the optional sports exhaust system like that fitted to our test car, brilliantly loud on a loaded throttle." -- Edmunds (2013)
- "All in all, the power delivery is impressively linear, so much so that the car rarely feels quite as fast as it actually is, as it lacks that press-you-in-your-seat sensation." -- Motor Trend (2013 Boxster S)
- "Like all modern Porsche offerings, the double-clutch gearbox is both quicker and more adaptable than the rube behind the wheel." -- Autoblog (2013)
Handling and Braking
Reviewers say the Boxster has phenomenal handling with loads of cornering grip, as well as a firm, yet comfortable, ride and extraordinary braking power. Critics also report that the Boxster’s electric steering system is very accurate and provides excellent feedback.
- "While many electric-assist steering systems have drawn the ire of enthusiasts for a dearth of feedback, the Boxster's unit is extremely communicative as well as precise and well-weighted." -- Left Lane News
- "The Boxster's massive brakes swiftly terminate the commendable velocities enabled by the car's mid-mounted 6-cylinder engine, and its new variable-ratio ratio electric power-steering system is clean and quick, despite what some old-school purists may say." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The ride is predictably firm, but it is never harsh and settles quickly when upset by potholes and the like. The upshot of this inherent firmness is superb body control with very little lean even during all-out cornering. Massive grip also provides high cornering speeds.” -- Edmunds (2013)
- "Through a few of the World Rally Championship (WRC) stage roads north of Nice, France, the Boxster S' steering and handling are absolutely impeccable." -- Road and Track (2013)
Next Steps: Porsche Boxster
- View the best prices for the 2014 Porsche Boxster
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Porsche Boxster
- Search used Porsche Boxster for sale (1,904 listings)
- See Luxury Sports Cars rankings