Porsche Boxster Performance
The 2015 Porsche Boxster is an ideal sports car, reviewers report, with strong power and acceleration, responsive transmissions, nimble handling and sharp steering.
- "If you test-drive a 2015 Porsche Boxster, chances are you won't want to return the key. Compact dimensions, quick reflexes, a midengine layout whose noise is part of the enjoyment, and Porsche's usual, magical suspension tuning join forces to produce some of the best road manners you'll get from any car." -- Edmunds
- "Despite playing second fiddle to the legendary 911 Carrera for the last 15 years, the Boxster has always been delightful to drive." -- AutoTrader
- "With good power always on tap and an architecture that's stiffer yet lighter than previous-generation models, the 2014 Porsche Boxster drives exactly as your imagination would insist a sports car should." -- Kelley Blue Book (2014)
- "Before Porsche began building SUVs and sedans, the German automaker's sole raison d'etre was creating sports cars - pure, lightweight rides that forged a bond between man and machine through tactile steering and nimble chassis dynamics. Today, the Boxster and Boxster S roadsters stand as the embodiment of Porsche's core sports car philosophy." -- Left Lane News (2014)
Acceleration and Power
The 2015 Boxster comes with a 2.7-liter six-cylinder engine that makes 265 horsepower and 206 pound-feet of torque. The Boxster S has a 3.4-liter six-cylinder engine that makes 315 horsepower and 266 pound-feet of torque. The new-for-2015 GTS model has a 3.4-liter six-cylinder engine that produces 330 horsepower and 273 pound-feet of torque. All models come standard with a six-speed manual transmission, and a seven-speed automated manual is available. The base 2015 Boxster with a manual transmission gets an EPA-estimated 20/30 mpg city/highway, which is good for the class. According to Porsche, the Boxster GTS with the automated manual has a top speed of 173 mph and can accelerate from 0 to 60 mph in 4.4 seconds.
Auto journalists find that all three engines are powerful and provide quick acceleration, especially in the S and GTS models. They praise the standard manual transmission for its smooth shifts and the automated manual for its quick, precise shifting. Critics love how the Boxster sounds with the optional sports exhaust system.
- "You row through six sweet-shifting gates or click off gears with the prescient PDK dual-clutch automatic. One is the purest way to experience sports-car nirvana, the other is both its greatest threat and most worthy successor." -- Car and Driver
- "The 2015 model's acceleration is stronger than ever, and it becomes downright thrilling the higher the engine revs climb, particularly with the stronger Boxster S and GTS. Shifting the 6-speed manual transmission is sheer delight if you like manual transmissions and are willing to accept the somewhat firm clutch." -- AutoTrader
- "From 3,000 rpm up to 6,000 rpm, it is fantastically strong and, with the optional sports exhaust system like that fitted to our test car, brilliantly loud on a loaded throttle." -- Edmunds (2013)
- "All in all, the power delivery is impressively linear, so much so that the car rarely feels quite as fast as it actually is, as it lacks that press-you-in-your-seat sensation." -- Motor Trend (2013 Boxster S)
- "Like all modern Porsche offerings, the double-clutch gearbox is both quicker and more adaptable than the rube behind the wheel." -- Autoblog (2013)
Handling and Braking
The rear-wheel drive Porsche Boxster has athletic handling, with tremendous cornering grip and minimal body lean, according to test drivers. Auto writers praise the Boxster's responsive steering and strong brakes.
- "Steering has always been a Porsche specialty, and while the 2015 Boxster uses fully electric steering, Porsche has tuned it to be as wonderfully communicative and direct as a hydraulic setup." -- AutoTrader
- "When a company mounts an engine in the middle of a car, it implies that chassis dynamics are paramount. It's no surprise then that quick corners in the Porsche are led by tight steering, met with deliberate body control, and matched by dogged grip. The steering in the Boxster … is exceptional, benefiting from the absence of weight on the nose of the car and the electrical assist's ability to tailor effort to g's." -- Car and Driver
- "The Boxster's massive brakes swiftly terminate the commendable velocities enabled by the car's mid-mounted 6-cylinder engine, and its new variable-ratio ratio electric power-steering system is clean and quick, despite what some old-school purists may say." -- Kelley Blue Book (2014)
- "Through a few of the World Rally Championship (WRC) stage roads north of Nice, France, the Boxster S' steering and handling are absolutely impeccable." -- Road and Track (2013)
Next Steps: Porsche Boxster
- View the best prices for the 2015 Porsche Boxster
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Porsche Boxster
- Search used Porsche Boxster for sale (1,170 listings)
- See Luxury Sports Cars rankings
- Find Best Deals: Purchase Deals Lease Deals Used Deals