Porsche Cayenne Hybrid Review
The 2015 Porsche Cayenne Hybrid ranks 3 out of 18 Luxury Midsize SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Porsche Cayenne Hybrid, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2015 Porsche Cayenne Hybrid is ranked:
The 2015 Porsche Cayenne Hybrid isn't as fuel-efficient as some diesel and hybrid rivals, but test drivers are impressed with its opulent cabin and thrilling driving dynamics.
Powering the plug-in 2015 Porsche Cayenne S E-Hybrid is a V6 gasoline engine and an electric motor mated to an eight-speed automatic transmission. Reviewers praise the Cayenne Hybrid for its ample power and brisk acceleration off the line. They note that its performance nearly matches that of the gas-only Cayenne, particularly when in sport mode. The 2015 Cayenne S E-Hybrid gets an EPA-estimated 21/24 mpg city/highway in gas-only mode and 47 mpg-equivalent in electric-only mode. Those estimates aren't quite as high as some other hybrid and diesel-powered SUVs. Reviewers say that although the Cayenne Hybrid is a heavy SUV, it offers agile handling. Grabby regenerative brakes are often disliked in hybrid vehicles, and some reviewers say the Porsche Cayenne Hybrid is no exception. Still, others say they operate much smoother than in most hybrids. Some automotive journalists report that the Cayenne Hybrid lacks steering feedback.
Reviewers praise the 2015 Porsche Cayenne S E-Hybrid for its upscale cabin, which they say offers high-end materials, including leather, wood and metal trims. Test drivers are impressed with the Cayenne Hybrid's pleasant front seats that make it easy for drivers to find a good position. They note that upgraded seats offer even more comfort. The back seats are also roomy, and their ability to recline and slide makes them versatile, reviewers add. The 2015 Cayenne Hybrid comes standard with Bluetooth, navigation, front and rear parking sensors, a rearview camera and the Porsche Communication Management infotainment system. Optional features include adaptive cruise control, a rear-seat entertainment system, wireless Internet access, satellite radio, a Burmester or Bose audio system, soft-close doors, lane departure warning and lane change assist. Automotive journalists appreciate the Cayenne Hybrid's easily-operated infotainment system. Although they say buttons on the dashboard and center console are plentiful, they agree that they're more convenient than touch-screen menu controls. Behind its rear seats, the Cayenne S E-Hybrid has 59.7 cubic feet of cargo space, which is less room than what most rivals have. Some test drivers also wish the Cayenne Hybrid offered more interior storage compartments.
- "The 2015 Porsche Cayenne is at once sporty and sumptuous, and its comprehensive lineup includes a diesel-powered model and a plug-in hybrid. It might be the best all-around crossover on the market." -- Edmunds
- "Still, if long-distance or highway commuting is the norm, buyers should really consider the 2015 Cayenne Diesel (20/29/23) and its 607-mile single-tank range. Nonetheless, the S E-Hybrid will almost certainly be the Cayenne that fuel-conscious city dwellers will appreciate most. If not for its near-silent electric-only gait, its plug-in versatility, or its highly respectable fuel economy, then, it will be adored for its genetic predisposition to be as much fun on the autobahn as it is on a favorite backcountry road. Its hood does bear the Porsche crest after all." -- Motor Trend
- "… if you're in the market for a stylish, sporty, luxurious, leather-lined, mid-sized Porsche SUV we see no disadvantages to ponying up the extra $2,300 that will get you into the hybrid. It's cooler and rarer and far smarter, and it has colorful pincers. Get one now before it realizes that it's more intelligent than you, escapes into the wild, and forms a feral flock." -- Yahoo Autos
- "If you want an SUV that features a high-lux interior, great handling and the benefits of owning a hybrid, Porsche has one for you." -- MarketWatch (2012)
Other SUVs to Consider
The BMW X5 impresses reviewers with its agile handling and powerful engine lineup, which includes a turbodiesel option. They also say its cabin is handsome and made with first-rate materials and that it has an easy-to-use infotainment system.
The Lexus RX Hybrid earns much better fuel economy estimates than the Cayenne Hybrid. It also has a lower base price and one of the largest cargo capacities in the class. Reviewers like its luxurious interior and quiet, serene ride.
Details: 2015 Porsche Cayenne Hybrid
The 2015 Porsche Cayenne S E-Hybrid is a plug-in hybrid SUV that seats five and has standard all-wheel drive. A supercharged 3.0-liter V6 engine and an electric motor, as well as an eight-speed automatic transmission, are standard. The Cayenne S E-Hybrid comes in one trim level. The Porsche Cayenne and Cayenne Diesel are reviewed separately. The Cayenne Hybrid sees significant powertrain updates for 2015, but was last redesigned in 2011. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2011 through 2015 model years.
Next Steps: Porsche Cayenne Hybrid
- View the best prices for the 2015 Porsche Cayenne Hybrid
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Porsche Cayenne Hybrid
- Search used Porsche Cayenne Hybrid for sale (1,908 listings)
- See Luxury Midsize SUVs rankings
- Find Best Deals: Purchase Deals Lease Deals Used Deals