Porsche Cayenne Hybrid Review
The 2014 Porsche Cayenne Hybrid ranks 9 out of 18 Luxury Midsize SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Porsche Cayenne Hybrid, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2014 Porsche Cayenne Hybrid is ranked:
The 2014 Porsche Cayenne Hybrid isn't as fuel-efficient as its diesel and hybrid rivals, but reviewers agree that it has exciting performance and first-rate cabin materials.
The Porsche Cayenne S Hybrid is powered by a supercharged V6 engine and a pair of electric motors, and reviewers agree that this powertrain delivers plenty of power. Test drivers also like the Cayenne Hybrid's smooth-shifting eight-speed automatic transmission. Fuel economy is an EPA-estimated 20/24 mpg city/highway, which is not as good as the fuel economy of diesel and hybrid-powered rivals. Test drivers write that the Cayenne Hybrid has nimble handling and a comfortable ride, but its steering feels numb and its regenerative brakes are grabby, which can make it hard to stop the SUV smoothly.
The Porsche Cayenne Hybrid earns praise for its opulent cabin, which features leather and high-quality trim throughout. Reviewers agree that its front seats are spacious and supportive, though some critics think the seats feel a bit too firm. The rear seats offer plenty of space, test drivers add. The Cayenne Hybrid's overall cargo space is somewhat low for the class. Reviewers mention that the Cayenne Hybrid's center stack and console have lots of buttons, and while some note that it can be overwhelming at first, most agree that the layout is intuitive and preferable to the central command systems used in many rivals. Standard features include a 10-speaker audio system with a 7-inch touch screen and dual-zone automatic climate control. Four-zone automatic climate control, Bluetooth, the Porsche Communication Management system, a Bose sound system, a Burmester sound system and adaptive cruise control are available.
- "If you want an SUV that features a high-lux interior, great handling and the benefits of owning a hybrid, Porsche has one for you." -- MarketWatch (2012)
- "True, the money saved in fuel costs may not recoup the $4000 premium, but then a regular Cayenne is hardly the epitome of rationality. In that view, it's easy to justify the splurge on the innovative yet comfortably normal Cayenne S Hybrid." -- Automobile Magazine (2011)
- "As for hybrids, this is one of the best on the market." -- Car and Driver (2011)
- "Before you proclaim that Porsche has officially sold out to the soccer mom demographic by building not just an SUV, but a hybrid SUV, trust us, this new Cayenne will not leave you yawning." -- Road and Track (2011)
Other SUVs to Consider
The hybrid Lexus RX 450h gets significantly better fuel economy than the Cayenne S Hybrid and it has quite a bit more total cargo space. It also costs less, and reviewers are impressed with its upscale cabin materials and comfortable ride.
The diesel-powered BMW X5 xDrive35d also returns better fuel economy than the Cayenne S Hybrid, and test drivers remark that this model's ample low-end torque gives it quick off-the-line acceleration. Reviewers also like the X5's nimble handling and elegant cabin design.
Details: 2014 Porsche Cayenne Hybrid
The 2014 Porsche Cayenne S Hybrid seats five and has standard all-wheel drive. A supercharged 3.0-liter V6 engine and a pair of electric motors, as well as an eight-speed automatic transmission, are standard. There is only one trim level, but various options are available. The Cayenne Hybrid was last redesigned for the 2011 model year and has undergone few major changes since. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2011 to 2014 model years.
Next Steps: Porsche Cayenne Hybrid
- View the best prices for the 2014 Porsche Cayenne Hybrid
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Porsche Cayenne Hybrid
- Search used Porsche Cayenne Hybrid for sale (2,784 listings)
- See Luxury Midsize SUVs rankings