Porsche Cayenne Hybrid Performance
Reviewers say that the 2014 Porsche Cayenne S Hybrid's supercharged V6 engine and electric motors deliver quick, V8-like acceleration. The Cayenne Hybrid's ride quality is comfortable and its handling is nimble, though some critics note that the steering has a numb feel and the regenerative brakes are grabby, which they say makes it hard to bring the SUV to a smooth stop.
- "The Cayenne S Hybrid also delivers impressive performance, though in normal traffic conditions, it can suffer some of the brake and throttle quirks typical of many hybrid vehicles." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The Cayenne S Hybrid's 380 hp helps it hit 60 mph in 6.1 seconds, although it's the 428 lb-ft of torque that creates that satisfying, seat-squishing sensation when the right pedal is buried." -- AutoTrader
- "Just like the other Cayennes but with greater efficiency, V-8-like acceleration, super-smooth hybrid operation, can drive a lot using just electricity." -- Car and Driver (2012)
- "The Cayenne S Hybrid, with its electric power steering and odd-feeling regenerative brakes, is slightly less direct and thus less enjoyable to drive. Still, it remains a Porsche and does provide a nice blend of performance and fuel economy, splitting the difference between V6 and V8." -- Edmunds (2012)
Acceleration and Power
The Cayenne S Hybrid is powered by a supercharged 3.0-liter V6 gasoline engine and a pair of electric motors that combine to produce 380 horsepower. All-wheel drive and an eight-speed automatic transmission are standard. Fuel economy is an EPA-estimated 20/24 mpg city/highway, which is not as good as the fuel economy ratings of comparable hybrids like the Lexus RX 450h or rivals' diesel-powered models’ ratings.
Test drivers remark that the Cayenne Hybrid has ample power from a stop and on the highway, with some adding that it pulls with the strength of a V8-equipped Cayenne. Reviewers add that driving in sport mode makes it feel even peppier from a stop and that the eight-speed transmission changes gears smoothly.
- "The base and diesel models feel brisk enough when summoned, but the S Hybrid's copious torque makes it the surprise performer of the bunch, especially when the shifter is clicked into S, which sharpens throttle response and puts the transmission into a more aggressive mode of attack." -- AutoTrader
- "… the Cayenne S Hybrid is downright quick off the line." -- Edmunds
- "Acceleration is close to that of the V-8 Cayenne." -- Car and Driver (2012)
- "An eight-speed automatic transmission is controlled with steering wheel-mounted paddle shifts. The package went about its business in a smooth, workmanlike manner." -- MarketWatch (2012)
- "Urban driving, other than the touchy brakes, is just fine, though, and off-the-line acceleration from an intersection is very impressive." -- Automobile Magazine (2012)
Handling and Braking
According to reviewers, the Cayenne Hybrid has a comfortable ride and feels planted to the road, though some note that models without the available air suspension exhibit more body lean than those with it. Critics note that the Cayenne Hybrid's steering doesn't offer the driver much road feedback, and several mention that its regenerative brakes feel a bit grabby, which some find makes it tricky to stop the Cayenne Hybrid smoothly.
- "One of our few complaints about Porsche's SUV is the Cayenne S Hybrid's regenerative braking system, which although effective, makes it difficult to bring the vehicle to a stop smoothly in city traffic." -- Edmunds
- "As far as handling is concerned, the Cayenne Hybrid lives up to the Porsche name, no small deal when you factor in the weight of this vehicle, which is nearly 5,000 pounds." -- MarketWatch (2012)
- "Near-transparent hybrid operation makes this drive like a slightly heavier Cayenne. The chassis has secure handling and high limits." -- Car and Driver (2012)
- "Our hybrid Cayenne was equipped with the standard steel-spring suspension and rode nicely over the well-kept roads of Birmingham, Alabama. This setup doesn't have the range adjustability, or body control of the more advanced air suspension and active dampers, but we imagine most buyers would still be content with it." -- Automobile Magazine (2011)
- "Even in sport mode, the steering has a disconnected feel." -- MSN (2011)
Next Steps: Porsche Cayenne Hybrid
- View the best prices for the 2014 Porsche Cayenne Hybrid
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Porsche Cayenne Hybrid
- Search used Porsche Cayenne Hybrid for sale (2,784 listings)
- See Luxury Midsize SUVs rankings