Porsche Cayenne Review
The 2015 Porsche Cayenne ranks 4 out of 17 Luxury Midsize SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Porsche Cayenne, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2015 Porsche Cayenne is ranked:
Test drivers find the 2015 Porsche Cayenne to be among the top-handling SUVs on the market, and they add that it's exceptionally fast.
Available engines in the 2015 Porsche Cayenne are a twin-turbocharged V6, a twin-turbo V8, a turbodiesel V6 and there is also a hybrid powertrain. Reviewers find the V6 and hybrid models provide powerful acceleration, while the twin-turbo V8 is exceptionally speedy. The twin-turbo V6 model earns acceptable fuel economy for the class, at an EPA-estimated 17/24 mpg city/highway. The diesel and hybrid models get better fuel economy estimates than the Cayenne S. However, neither the Cayenne Diesel nor Cayenne S E-Hybrid get estimates as good as their respective diesel and hybrid rivals. Auto journalists say the Cayenne rides comfortably and has very impressive handling, with minimal body lean in turns and responsive steering.
Automotive journalists point out that leather, wood and metal are among the premium materials used to construct the 2015 Porsche Cayenne's interior. Five people fit comfortably in the Cayenne, test drivers say, and they find the front seats especially supportive. Critics say the Cayenne has favorable outward visibility. They find that the buttons on the center stack are reasonably ordered and easy to learn, but many say the console can be a bit much for people at first because it is button-heavy. The 2015 Cayenne comes standard with a USB port, HD Radio, Bluetooth and navigation with a 7-inch touch screen. Optional features include a Burmester or Bose audio system, a rear-seat entertainment system, front and rear parking sensors, a bird's-eye camera system to help with parking maneuvers, adaptive cruise control and lane departure warning. A few critics comment that the touch screen's menus are straightforward but note that the display screen seems a little small by class standards.
- "With the new changes, we don't doubt for a second that the 2015 Cayenne will continue selling like crazy. As long as Porsche keeps giving, we'll keep taking." -- Motor Trend
- "The 2015 Porsche Cayenne is at once sporty and sumptuous, and its comprehensive lineup includes a diesel-powered model and a plug-in hybrid. It might be the best all-around crossover on the market." -- Edmunds
- "Just as with last year's model, the 2015 Porsche Cayenne excels because it impresses in many ways. It's luxurious, it drives better than anyone expects of an SUV, and we found it can even bound across a rocky off-road course. No wonder the Cayenne prints money for Porsche, remaining the company's top-selling model month after month." -- Automobile Magazine
Other SUVs to Consider
Reviewers say the Land Rover Range Rover Sport has swift acceleration and a balanced ride. They like the Range Rover Sport's opulent interior materials and say it has impressive off-road capability.
With its available diesel engine, the BMW X5 gets much better fuel economy than the Cayenne Diesel. The X5 has a bit more cargo space than the Cayenne, and test drivers like its user-friendly infotainment system and luxurious cabin.
Details: 2015 Porsche Cayenne
The 2015 Porsche Cayenne seats five and comes standard with all-wheel drive and an eight-speed automatic transmission. The Cayenne comes in four models. The Cayenne Diesel has a 3.0-liter turbodiesel V6, the Cayenne S has a twin-turbocharged 3.6-liter V6, the Cayenne S E-Hybrid has a supercharged 3.0-liter V6 and electric motor and the Cayenne Turbo has a twin-turbo 4.8-liter V8. Porsche thinned out the Cayenne's trim levels for 2015, but aside from those changes and new plug-in capability for the hybrid model, the Cayenne is largely unchanged from the 2011 model year when it was last redesigned. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews form the 2011 to 2015 model years.
Next Steps: Porsche Cayenne
- View the best prices for the 2015 Porsche Cayenne
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Porsche Cayenne
- Search used Porsche Cayenne for sale (1,908 listings)
- See Luxury Midsize SUVs rankings