Porsche Cayenne Review
The 2014 Porsche Cayenne ranks 6 out of 18 Luxury Midsize SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Porsche Cayenne, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2014 Porsche Cayenne is ranked:
While critics say that it can be pricey, with a range of reviewer-liked engines, agile handling and an opulent interior, test drivers agree that it’s hard to go wrong with the 2014 Porsche Cayenne.
The 2014 Cayenne is available with a range of engines, including a standard V6 engine that automotive writers say delivers adequate power. Reviewers tend to prefer the engines available on higher trims though, which include a turbodiesel V6 and naturally-aspirated and turbocharged V8s. All but the base model come standard with an eight-speed automatic transmission, which reviewers say makes precise, timely shifts. A Cayenne with the base V6 engine and automatic transmission achieves 17/23 mpg city/highway, which is on par for the class. The diesel model is the most efficient, at 20/29 mpg. The various V8 models earn lower fuel economy estimates. Test drivers love the Cayenne's athletic handling and communicative steering, noting that as a whole, the Cayenne is one of the most engaging and fun-to-drive models in the segment.
Test drivers are impressed with the Porsche Cayenne's interior design, as well as the high-quality materials used to construct the cabin. The five-seat Cayenne's cargo space is similar to what other five-seat SUVs in the class offer. Several test drivers note that while the Cayenne's center stack has a lot of buttons, they are logically arranged and don't take long to acclimate to. The 2014 Porsche Cayenne comes standard with a 10-speaker stereo system with a 7-inch touch-screen display, Bluetooth and dual-zone automatic climate control, but few other notable features. Features available as options or on higher trims include an upgraded stereo system, four-zone automatic climate control, satellite radio and navigation. Available active safety features include front and rear parking sensors, a backup camera, adaptive cruise control and lane change assist.
- "It doesn't come cheap, but the 2014 Porsche Cayenne is more engaging and enjoyable to drive than just about any other SUV on the planet, and it has some of the richest cabin furnishings. If you're shopping for a high-end crossover, put it on your list." -- Edmunds
- "As the 'Porsche' badge would require, the 2014 Cayenne is arguably the sportiest SUV on the market, striking a truly unique compromise between performance and utility." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Now in its second generation, the Cayenne offers the handling, comfort, and family-friendly size that made the original a hit in a lighter package with greater power and fuel efficiency." -- Left Lane News
Other Luxury SUVs to Consider
The Land Rover Range Rover Sport ranks highly for its combination of on-road performance and off-road capability. Like the Cayenne, reviewers love the Range Rover Sport’s powerful engine choices, agile handling and upscale interior.
Reviewers say the Acura MDX has a refined ride and high-quality interior. Further, the MDX has three rows of seats and more overall cargo space than the Cayenne, which may make it a better choice for families.
Details: 2014 Porsche Cayenne
The 2014 Porsche Cayenne seats five and has standard all-wheel drive. Six Cayenne models are offered: base, Diesel, S, GTS, Turbo and Turbo S. The base model comes with a 3.6-liter V6 engine and six-speed manual transmission. An eight-speed automatic is optional on the base model and standard on all higher models. The Porsche Cayenne Hybrid is reviewed separately. The Cayenne was last fully redesigned for the 2011 model year, and since it hasn't changed much since, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2011 to 2014 model years.
Next Steps: Porsche Cayenne
- View the best prices for the 2014 Porsche Cayenne
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Porsche Cayenne
- Search used Porsche Cayenne for sale (2,784 listings)
- See Luxury Midsize SUVs rankings