Porsche Cayenne Review
The 2015 Porsche Cayenne ranks 3 out of 18 Luxury Midsize SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Porsche Cayenne, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2015 Porsche Cayenne is ranked:
The 2015 Porsche Cayenne is incredibly fast and is one of the best-handling SUVs available, reviewers say.
The 2015 Porsche Cayenne is available with a twin-turbocharged V6 engine and a twin-turbo V8, as well as a hybrid powertrain and a turbodiesel V6. Reviewers say the V6 and hybrid models have strong acceleration and that the twin-turbo V8 model is astoundingly fast. With the twin-turbo V6, the Cayenne gets an EPA-estimated 17/24 mpg city/highway, which is decent for the class. The diesel and hybrid models get better fuel economy estimates than the Cayenne S. However, neither the Cayenne Diesel nor Cayenne S E-Hybrid get estimates as good as their respective diesel and hybrid rivals. Auto journalists say the Cayenne rides comfortably and has very impressive handling, with minimal body lean in turns and responsive steering.
The 2015 Porsche Cayenne's cabin is built with first-class materials including rich leather, wood and metal, reviewers note. While most critics comment that the button-heavy center stack and console can be overwhelming at first, they add that the buttons are logically arranged and easy to learn. The Cayenne's cabin is spacious for five people, reviewers say. The front seats are extremely comfortable and outward visibility is good, they add. The 2015 Cayenne comes standard with a USB port, HD Radio, Bluetooth and navigation with a 7-inch touch screen. Optional features include a Burmester or Bose audio system, a rear-seat entertainment system, front and rear parking sensors, a bird's-eye camera system to help with parking maneuvers, adaptive cruise control and lane departure warning. A few critics comment that the touch screen's menus are straightforward but note that the display screen seems a little small by class standards.
- "With the new changes, we don't doubt for a second that the 2015 Cayenne will continue selling like crazy. As long as Porsche keeps giving, we'll keep taking." -- Motor Trend
- "The 2015 Porsche Cayenne is at once sporty and sumptuous, and its comprehensive lineup includes a diesel-powered model and a plug-in hybrid. It might be the best all-around crossover on the market." -- Edmunds
- "Just as with last year's model, the 2015 Porsche Cayenne excels because it impresses in many ways. It's luxurious, it drives better than anyone expects of an SUV, and we found it can even bound across a rocky off-road course. No wonder the Cayenne prints money for Porsche, remaining the company's top-selling model month after month." -- Automobile Magazine
Other SUVs to Consider
Reviewers say the Land Rover Range Rover Sport has swift acceleration and a balanced ride. They like the Range Rover Sport's opulent interior materials and say it has impressive off-road capability.
With its available diesel engine, the BMW X5 gets much better fuel economy than the Cayenne Diesel. The X5 has a bit more cargo space than the Cayenne, and test drivers like its user-friendly infotainment system and luxurious cabin.
Details: 2015 Porsche Cayenne
The 2015 Porsche Cayenne seats five and comes standard with all-wheel drive and an eight-speed automatic transmission. The Cayenne comes in four models. The Cayenne Diesel has a 3.0-liter turbodiesel V6, the Cayenne S has a twin-turbocharged 3.6-liter V6, the Cayenne S E-Hybrid has a supercharged 3.0-liter V6 and electric motor and the Cayenne Turbo has a twin-turbo 4.8-liter V8. Porsche thinned out the Cayenne's trim levels for 2015, but aside from those changes and new plug-in capability for the hybrid model, the Cayenne is largely unchanged from the 2011 model year when it was last redesigned. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews form the 2011 to 2015 model years.
Next Steps: Porsche Cayenne
- View the best prices for the 2015 Porsche Cayenne
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Porsche Cayenne
- Search used Porsche Cayenne for sale (1,908 listings)
- See Luxury Midsize SUVs rankings