Porsche Cayman Review
The 2014 Porsche Cayman ranks 3 out of 13 Luxury Sports Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Porsche Cayman, as well as reliability and safety data.
Auto writers agree that the 2014 Porsche Cayman's athletic handling, responsive steering and composed ride make it one of the most fun-to-drive sports cars on the market.
The Cayman and Cayman S have six-cylinder engines that test drivers say have plenty of power, though most agree that the Cayman S' more powerful engine is better-suited to quick, spirited acceleration. A six-speed manual transmission is standard and a seven-speed dual clutch transmission is optional, and test drivers say the dual clutch unit executes quick, precise shifts. Fuel economy is up to an EPA-estimated 22/32 mpg city/highway, which is good for a sports car and competitive with the Cayman's closest rivals. The Cayman is regarded by reviewers as one of the best sports cars available, citing its balanced, nimble handling, direct steering and strong brakes. They add that it rides comfortably enough for longer trips and daily driving.
According to test drivers, the 2014 Porsche Cayman's cabin takes a no-nonsense approach to motoring, with straightforward gauges and controls for climate and infotainment. Although it isn't as lavish as some rivals' interiors, reviewers say the Cayman's cabin is nonetheless constructed with high-quality materials. They note that the Cayman's two seats are very comfortable and offer ample support to keep occupants in place during brisk cornering. The Cayman has two trunks, one in the front and one in the rear, and reviewers are pleased with the amount of cargo space. The Cayman comes standard with a four-speaker audio system with a 7-inch touch screen, Bluetooth and an auxiliary input. Options include adaptive cruise control, front and rear parking sensors, dual-zone automatic climate control, the Porsche Communication Management infotainment control system, navigation, a nine-speaker audio system, a 10-speaker Bose surround sound system, a USB port and satellite radio.
- "The 2014 Porsche Cayman isn't the most iconic car in the German manufacturer's expanding lineup; the legendary 911 easily claims that distinction. But with its mid-engine configuration, lightweight construction and razor-sharp tuning, the Cayman delivers a different draw for performance-car shoppers, one that makes this small 2-seater a hidden gem nestled within Porsche's growing family of sports cars, SUVs and sedans." -- AutoTrader
- "But of course the Cayman is a Boxster coupe. Frankly, we couldn't come up with higher praise. Whether the roof folds or not, Porsche's mid-engined, smaller sports car is a perennial favorite and a mainstay on our annual 10Best list. Riotous flat-six engines, balanced handling, and vivid steering punch your ticket to driving nirvana." -- Car and Driver
- "Fair warning to our future selves: It's going to be a challenge to write the review for the next-generation Porsche Cayman. Why? Because the current generation, which kicks off with the 2014 Porsche Cayman, is a nearly perfect sports car. It's usually easy to see how a car could be improved, even when it's considered the segment's latest and greatest, but this Cayman has us scratching our heads. Short of giving this coupe wings, or perhaps making it amphibious, we're not sure how Porsche could do any better." -- Edmunds
- "While rivals like the Chevrolet Corvette, Audi TTS, and the less expensive Nissan 370Z deliver comparable straight-line performance, none can match the Cayman's inimitable combination of handling prowess, sensory fulfillment and curbside presence." -- Kelley Blue Book
Other Cars to Consider
The Chevrolet Corvette Stingray is a top-rated sports car in part for its powerful V8 engine, nimble handling and upscale interior. The Corvette offers more rear trunk space than the Cayman and starts at about the same price as the base Cayman but has far more power than the Cayman S.
The Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class earns reviewer praise for its top-notch interior, balanced handling and incredible V8 power in the SLK55 AMG. The SLK is a retractable hardtop roadster, which may widen its appeal to those looking for a convertible without sacrificing the closed-roof quietness and comfort of a coupe.
Details: 2014 Porsche Cayman
The 2014 Porsche Cayman seats two, has rear-wheel drive and is available in two trims. The base Cayman has a 2.7-liter flat-six-cylinder engine and the Cayman S has a 3.4-liter flat-six engine. Either model has a standard six-speed manual transmission or optional seven-speed dual clutch transmission. The Cayman is fully redesigned for the 2014 model year.
Next Steps: Porsche Cayman
- View the best prices for the 2014 Porsche Cayman
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Porsche Cayman
- Search used Porsche Cayman for sale (446 listings)
- See Luxury Sports Cars rankings