Porsche Cayman Review
The 2015 Porsche Cayman ranks 2 out of 16 Luxury Sports Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Porsche Cayman, as well as reliability and safety data.
The midengine 2015 Porsche Cayman is a delight to drive thanks to its nimble handling, responsive steering and powerful available engines, auto journalists say.
The 2015 Cayman comes with a 2.7-liter six-cylinder engine, and critics note that passing power is sometimes lacking. If straight-line acceleration is a priority for you, critics say the 3.4-liter six-cylinder engines in the Cayman S and the new Cayman GTS are better options. A six-speed manual transmission is standard in all trims and a seven-speed automated manual is optional. Auto writers report that the automated manual changes gears quickly. According to the EPA, the base 2015 Cayman gets 22/32 mpg city/highway when equipped with the automated manual transmission, which is good for the class. Unlike most of its competitors, the Porsche Cayman’s engine is mounted in the middle of the car, and reviewers think this gives the Cayman a balanced feeling around corners. They say the Cayman’s strong tire grip, responsive steering and powerful brakes also contribute to its remarkable handling, and its smooth ride makes it a great companion on long trips.
According to critics, the 2015 Porsche Cayman has first-rate cabin materials and a handsome design with customizable color combinations and available leather on most surfaces. Reviewers say the two-seat Cayman also has straightforward controls, spacious and supportive seats and enough luggage space for a weekend trip. However, some test drivers note that the Cayman’s cabin lacks adequate storage space for small items, and that the base stereo system's sound quality isn't very good. Standard features in the 2015 Porsche Cayman include a four-speaker audio system with a 7-inch touch screen, an auxiliary audio input and Bluetooth. Optional features include heated and ventilated seats, adaptive cruise control, dual-zone automatic climate control, navigation, a rearview camera, front and rear parking sensors, a nine-speaker audio system, a 10-speaker Bose surround-sound audio system, a 12-speaker Burmester surround-sound audio system, satellite radio and a USB port.
- "Try as they may, no front-engine sports car can match the neutral handling and perfect balance offered by a mid-engine coupe. In Porsche's 2015 Cayman coupe, the combination of handling, style, power and price make it a rarity worthy of consideration." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The 2015 Porsche Cayman offers all the thrills and good looks of its big brother, the Porsche 911, but with a smaller price tag and, dare we say it, a more playful demeanor." -- AutoTrader
- "If an invigorating sports car driving experience is what you're after, the 2015 Porsche Cayman is one of the best options at any price." -- Edmunds
- "But of course the Cayman is a Boxster coupe. Frankly, we couldn't come up with higher praise. Whether the roof folds or not, Porsche's mid-engined, smaller sports car is a perennial favorite and a mainstay on our annual 10Best list." -- Car and Driver (2014)
Other Cars to Consider
The Chevrolet Corvette Stingray costs about the same as the Cayman, and critics write that it has athletic handling and an incredibly powerful standard V8 engine. The Corvette also has a larger rear trunk than the Cayman, and it comes with more standard features, including a rearview camera and a nine-speaker Bose audio system.
Test drivers praise the BMW 4-Series coupe for its nimble handling and powerful base engine. The 4-Series has a much lower starting price than the Cayman, is available with all-wheel drive and can accommodate two more passengers.
Details: 2015 Porsche Cayman
The 2015 Porsche Cayman is a two-seat, midengine coupe that is available in base, S and GTS trims. The base Cayman has a 2.7-liter six-cylinder engine, while the Cayman S and GTS have a 3.4-liter six-cylinder. Each trim comes standard with rear-wheel drive and a six-speed manual transmission. A seven-speed automated manual transmission is optional. The Cayman was fully redesigned last year and sees no major changes for 2015. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2014 and 2015 model years.
Next Steps: Porsche Cayman
- View the best prices for the 2015 Porsche Cayman
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Porsche Cayman
- Search used Porsche Cayman for sale (446 listings)
- See Luxury Sports Cars rankings