Porsche Cayman Review
The 2012 Porsche Cayman ranks 1 out of 10 Luxury Sports Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of 65 published reviews and test drives of the Porsche Cayman, and our analysis of reliability and safety data.
With near-perfect handling and balance, test drivers believe the Porsche Cayman is one of the best luxury sports cars shoppers can buy.
While almost every luxury sports car offers breath taking performance, test drivers agree that in most ways, the 2012 Porsche Cayman tops them all. Though it isn’t the most powerful or luxurious car in the class, it has impressive handling. And, though it may not have the on-paper power of cars like the Chevrolet Corvette, its light weight makes it feel faster than its power numbers might suggest.
Test drivers also appreciate how well-built and comfortable the two-seat Cayman is. However, a few are disappointed about the limited cargo space (which is typical for a luxury sports car), and small buttons and gauges, which make some interior features tough to use. For most reviewers, those complaints aren’t enough to make them disregard the Cayman. Its performance is so good that when you’re ripping down back roads, you won’t miss the cargo space or care about being able to easily change the radio station.
Other Sports Cars to Consider
If you want Cayman-like performance, but also want to put the top down, consider the Porsche Boxster. It’s the Cayman’s corporate twin, and though it has slightly less power, it also costs a bit less. It’s also a convertible, so if you want a mid-engine layout and the wind in your hair, the Boxster is the way to go.
For buyers who want power over luxury, go for the Chevrolet Corvette. Available as a coupe or convertible, it has a 6.2-liter V8 engine that makes 165 more horsepower than the base Cayman. It also has longer warranty coverage, more cargo space, costs slightly less and is an American automotive icon.
Details: Porsche Cayman
The Porsche Cayman is available in three trims: the Cayman, the Cayman S and the Cayman R. See full 2012 Porsche Cayman specifications.
- "Arguably the purest expression of the original Porsche design, the midengine 2012 Porsche Cayman provides thrilling performance and handling that more than make up for its tight cabin and pricey options."--Edmunds
- "If the 911 Carrera is Porsche's flagship, then the Cayman is the fleet's gunboat. With its crisp lines and superb mid-engine balance, the Cayman could easily outperform the Carrera if Zuffenhausen gave the okay." -- Road and Track
- "Lithe on the road, fluidly seductive in appearance, and positively alive in your hands: It's now, in my humble opinion, very simply the best sports car in the world." -- Motor Trend
- "The (base) Porsche Cayman still presses all the right buttons for me. It's one of those cars whose sensory rewards outweigh its high price. At first blush, a $55,000 coupe with only 265 horsepower seems a little silly - you get more ponies in a base Chevrolet Camaro at half the price. But the Cayman feels quicker than many cars with more power both because of its low weight and its good midrange torque. As ever, the satisfaction in driving this Porsche isn't derived from massive acceleration. It's the feeling of precision that does it." -- Car and Driver
Next Steps: Porsche Cayman
Get the U.S. News Best Price for the Porsche Cayman
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Porsche Cayman for sale (292 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Porsche Cayman
- See what others paid for the 2012 Porsche Cayman
- View Porsche Cayman Photos
- See Luxury Sports Cars rankings