Porsche Panamera Review
The 2014 Porsche Panamera ranks 3 out of 12 Super Luxury Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Porsche Panamera, as well as reliability and safety data.
Reviewers agree that the 2014 Porsche Panamera’s exhilarating power, dynamic handling and first-rate interior make it one of the best luxury sport sedans available.
The Porsche Panamera has a standard V6 engine that reviewers say delivers plenty of power. A number of high-performance variants with more potent engines are even faster, according to test drivers, and the standard seven-speed dual-clutch transmission executes quick shifts. The base Panamera is rated at an EPA-estimated 18/28 mpg city/highway, which is in line with rivals' fuel economy. No matter the trim, reviewers agree that the Panamera has impressive, agile handling, communicative steering and strong brakes, adding that its ride quality is firm, but still comfortable. The Panamera S E-Hybrid has a supercharged V6 and an electric motor, and reviewers say it is fast and has smooth transitions between gas and electric power, as well as good steering feel and easy-to-modulate regenerative brakes. It can travel up to 15 miles on electric-only power and is rated at 50 mpg-equivalent combined city/highway, according to the EPA.
Reviewers agree that the Panamera's interior is constructed with lavish materials and handsome leather, wood, metal and carbon fiber trim. They say the Panamera's four-seat cabin offers comfortable and supportive seats in the front and back, noting that the new-for-2014 long-wheelbase Executive models offer very generous rear-seat legroom. Reviewers also appreciate the Panamera's hatchback design, as it enables the Panamera to have lots of space for cargo. The Panamera's center stack and console are adorned with individual buttons for most controls rather than a central controller system that many rivals offer, and critics say that while the buttons can be daunting at first, they're pretty intuitive once the layout is learned. The Panamera comes standard with dual-zone automatic climate control, the Porsche Communication Management system, navigation, Bluetooth and an 11-speaker audio system. Options include adaptive cruise control, upgraded stereo systems and a 360-degree surround-view camera.
- "Love it or hate it on the outside, the Panamera is roomy and comfortable on the inside and fast from any way you look at it." -- AutoWeek
- "But the Panamera is here, faster and more feature packed than ever, its lucrative existence something for which Porsche brass-if not Porsche purists-will be eternally grateful." -- Car and Driver
- "Extensive updates, including a long-wheelbase option and a new plug-in hybrid variant, reinforce the 2014 Porsche Panamera's status as one of the best luxury sedans in the world." -- Edmunds
- "If you need a sedan but crave the performance of an exotic coupe, the Porsche Panamera for 2014 is calling your name. Sure, there are numerous high-performance luxury 4-door sedans, but none can rival the Panamera's one-off good looks, unique cabin configuration or diverse model range." -- Kelley Blue Book
Other Cars to Consider
Reviewers like the Audi A7 for its top-notch interior materials and design and its seductive exterior styling, as well as the practicality of its hatchback body style. Additionally, a diesel-powered A7 gets great fuel economy for the class, and test drivers are impressed with this model's ample torque and quick acceleration.
Test drivers agree that the Mercedes-Benz S-Class is the standard bearer among luxury cars for interior opulence and luxury, with exceptionally comfortable seats and rich trim details throughout the cabin. Reviewers also say the S-Class is a pleasure to drive, with ample power from its twin-turbo V8 engine and a ride that is exceedingly comfortable.
Details: 2014 Porsche Panamera
The 2014 Porsche Panamera seats four, comes standard with rear-wheel drive and is available with all-wheel drive. There are six basic trim levels, ranging from the base Panamera with a 3.6-liter V6 to the Panamera Turbo S with a twin-turbo 4.8-liter V8, as well as the new-for-2014 Panamera S E-Hybrid with a supercharged 3.0-liter V6 and electric motor. The hybrid has an eight-speed automatic transmission, while all other trims have a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission. A new-for-2014 long-wheelbase Executive variant is available on 4S, Turbo and Turbo S trims. The Panamera S gains a new twin-turbo V6 engine for 2014. Aside from these changes, the Panamera is otherwise largely unchanged since it debuted for the 2010 model year. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2010 to 2014 model years.
Next Steps: Porsche Panamera
- View the best prices for the 2014 Porsche Panamera
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Porsche Panamera
- Search used Porsche Panamera for sale (1,635 listings)
- See Super Luxury Cars rankings