Ram 1500 Review
The 2015 Ram 1500 ranks 1 out of 6 Full Size Pickup Trucks. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Ram 1500, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2015 Ram 1500 delivers a best-in-class ride, superior cabin materials, smooth transmission and class-exclusive diesel engine option, which win over auto critics.
With the best combination of positive reviews and long-term ownership costs in its class, the Ram 1500 is our 2015 Best Fullsize Pickup for the Money.
Reviewers find the standard V6 engine in the 2015 Ram 1500 has good power. They add that for towing and transporting heavy loads, the optional V8 or turbodiesel V6 are good choices with abundant power. The Ram 1500 comes standard with an eight-speed automatic transmission that critics applaud for its silky shifts and responsiveness. Fuel economy for a base Ram 1500 is an EPA-estimated 17/25 mpg city/highway, which is comparable with rivals' estimates. The diesel model returns 20/28 mpg, which is excellent for the class. Test drivers say the 2015 Ram 1500 sets the standard for ride comfort in the segment, and they add that its optional air-adjustable suspension is helpful for keeping the truck level when towing or hauling heavy loads.
The 2015 Ram 1500's interior earns test drivers' praise for its soft-touch materials and solid build. They report that when driving at speed the cabin is hushed, and they find the front seats to be supportive and comfortable. Reviewers note that the Ram 1500 seats up to six people with ample legroom in both the Quad and Crew Cab layouts. The Ram 1500 offers an abundance of storage spaces in the cabin, reviewers write, and they like its available lockable RamBox storage compartments for storing smaller cargo in sides of the bed. A USB port and auxiliary input jack are standard. Optional features include navigation, satellite radio, a rearview camera and a Uconnect infotainment system with Bluetooth and voice control capability. Test drivers write that Uconnect is very user-friendly and they appreciate that there are redundant physical buttons for most major climate and audio adjustments.
- "The Ram 1500 also offers a wide choice of trim levels, from workhorse, to street cruiser, to luxury liner. Even if you're a die-hard loyalist to another brand, you still owe it to yourself to check out these outstanding trucks." -- Consumer Guide
- "Available with all the required cab and bed configurations, in either 2-wheel or 4-wheel drive, the Ram 1500 goes above and beyond with its stylish exterior and well-appointed cabin." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The Ram 1500 has the nicest interior of any full-size pickup. Its upgraded touchscreen interface is impressively easy to use and offers substantial technology capabilities. We're also fond of the Ram as it offers a composed and smooth ride whether you're driving it on- or off-road." -- Edmunds (2014)
- "Already gifted with capable handling and handsome interiors, the Ram 1500 lineup is now even more unique and appealing with the addition of the EcoDiesel option. It isn't the motor for everyone - the cheaper, punchier and more characterful Hemi is still a stellar choice - but its combination of low-end torque and efficiency will undoubtedly win over many hearts and wallets. We expect Ram will have little problem achieving its goal of a 15 percent take rate for the EcoDiesel." -- Left Lane News (2014)
Ram 1500 Pictures & Videos
Other Trucks to Consider
The Ford F-150 has higher maximum towing and payload ratings than the Ram 1500, and reviewers say both of its optional turbocharged V6 engines have ample power. According to test drivers, the F-150 has spacious cab configurations and poised handling.
Test drivers say the Chevrolet Silverado 1500 is very quiet at speed and rides comfortably over rough roads. It can also tow and haul more than the Ram 1500 when properly equipped, and critics note that its available MyLink infotainment system is straightforward.
Details: 2015 Ram 1500
The 2015 Ram 1500 is available in three cab configurations. Regular Cab models seat up to three and Quad and Crew Cab models seat up to six. A 3.6-liter V6 engine is standard, while a 3.0-liter turbodiesel V6 and a 5.7-liter V8 are optional. Base and diesel models come standard with an eight-speed automatic transmission. The V8 model comes standard with a six-speed automatic transmission, while the eight-speed automatic is optional. Rear-wheel drive is standard and four-wheel drive is optional. There are 10 trim levels, ranging from the base Tradesman to the top Laramie Limited. The Ram 1500 carries into 2015 largely unchanged, and aside from some revisions for 2013, it was last fully redesigned in the 2009 model year. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2009 through 2015 model years.
Next Steps: Ram 1500
- View the best prices for the 2015 Ram 1500
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Ram 1500
- Search used Ram 1500 for sale (11,635 listings)
- See Full Size Pickup Trucks rankings
- Find Best Deals: Purchase Deals Lease Deals Used Deals