2012 Ram 1500 Recalls & Reliability
There have been 2 safety recalls issued from NHTSA.
POWER TRAINRecall Date: 02/06/2013
- Consequence: If the rear axle pinion nut loosens, the axle can lock up and cause a loss of vehicle control and/or a vehicle crash with little warning.
- NHTSA Campaign ID: 13V038000
- Potential Number of Units Affected: 278,229
- Summary: Chrysler is recalling certain model year 2009-2012 Ram 1500 trucks manufactured from February 27, 2008, through June 30, 2009, and from December 1, 2009, through October 20, 2011; model year 2009-2011 Dodge Dakota trucks manufactured from February 27, 2007, through June 30, 2009, and from December 1, 2009, through September 30, 2011; model year 2009 Chrysler Aspen trucks manufactured from January 3, 2008, through December 18, 2008; and model year 2009 Dodge Durango trucks manufactured from January 3, 2008, through December 18, 2008. The rear axle pinion nut may loosen due to an undersized pinion spline that can allow relative motion between the nut and companion flange.
- Remedy: Chrysler will notify owners, and dealers will install a pinion nut retainer, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin during May 2013. Owners may contact Chrysler at 1-800-247-9753.
- Notes: This campaign is an expansion of a recall campaign 12V-474. Chrysler's recall campaign number is N08. Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
EQUIPMENT:OTHER:LABELSRecall Date: 05/01/2012
- Consequence: IF INSTALLED, THE INCORRECTLY SIZED SPARE TIRE MAY UNEXPECTEDLY ACTIVATE THE ELECTRONIC STABILITY CONTROL (ESC) SYSTEM, ALTERING THE EFFECTIVENESS OF THE ESC SYSTEM, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
- NHTSA Campaign ID: 12V192000
- Potential Number of Units Affected: 129
- Summary: CHRYSLER IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2012 RAM 1500 TRUCKS, MANUFACTURED FROM JANUARY 5, 2012 THROUGH JANUARY 6, 2012. THE AFFECTED VEHICLES HAVE A SPARE TIRE THAT DOES NOT MATCH THE SPECIFICATIONS LISTED ON THE TIRE PLACARD. THUS, THESE VEHICLES FAIL TO COMPLY WITH THE REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NO. 110, ?TIRE SELECTION AND RIMS.?
- Remedy: CHRYSLER WILL NOTIFY OWNERS, AND DEALERS WILL INSPECT AND REPAIR VEHICLES AS NECCESSARY FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL WILL BEGIN IN MAY 2012. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT CHRYSLER AT 1-800-853-1403.
- Notes: CHRYSLER?S RECALL CAMPAIGN NUMBER IS M14. CUSTOMERS MAY CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.
Our reliability score is based on the J.D. Power and Associates Vehicle Dependability Study (VDS) rating or, if unavailable, the J.D. Power Predicted Reliability rating.
|Predicted Reliability Score
- Among The Best
- Better Than Most
- About Average
- The Rest
Note that warranty coverage that came with the vehicle when it was new may not transfer to subsequent owners. Check with the manufacturer to see if a warranty may still apply.
Next Steps: 2012 Ram 1500