Scion tC Performance
Reviewers write that the 2015 Scion tC is fun to drive around town, but that it’s not as agile as other coupes in its class. Some critics also add that the tC could use more power, though they like that its transmission shifts smoothly.
- "Still, compared to other coupes in its class, it's not nearly as powerful or capable, though for city driving it's probably good enough for most buyers." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Around city streets, the tC is entertaining to drive. It may not be particularly exciting compared with the rear-drive FR-S, but well-weighted, precise steering and the car's light-on-its-tires nature make for respectable fun." -- Edmunds
- "Quick enough on takeoff with either transmission, though not quite as peppy as the sporty looks suggest." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
Acceleration and Power
The 2015 Scion tC comes with a 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine that makes 179 horsepower. A six-speed manual transmission is standard and a six-speed automatic is available. With either transmission, the tC earns an EPA-estimated 23/31 mpg city/highway, which is low for the class.
Though some say that the 2015 tC could accelerate more quickly, other reviewers think that the tC’s 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine provides decent power, particularly at lower rpm. Critics report that the manual transmission shifts smoothly and is simple to operate, and they like the automatic transmission’s rev-matching feature, which increases engine speed on downshifts for a sportier driving experience.
- "… the 2.5-liter 4-cylinder engine, despite being bigger than many competitors, isn't exceptionally powerful, and the tC isn't exactly quick. However, we do like the downshift rev-matching technology borrowed from the FR-S, and it's a vast improvement over the old automatic. We still prefer the 6-speed manual gearbox both for its light clutch and precise, quick shifts." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Though the 179-hp four-cylinder engine in the 2015 Scion tC isn't the most thrilling powertrain in the class, it definitely feels powerful, especially at lower rpm. If you're up for shifting your own gears, the six-speed manual is a good choice as it's easy to operate. But the more popular automatic is just fine, and fuel economy won't suffer, either." -- Edmunds
- "The tC powers its front wheels with a 2.5-liter four-cylinder that produces 179 ponies and 173 lb-ft of torque. Those are fairly strong numbers for the segment, and buyers can make the most of the output with either a six-speed manual transmission or a six-speed automatic that was recently tweaked to provide quicker shifts and a racy rev-matching function." -- Left Lane News
Handling and Braking
While critics note that the 2015 Scion tC isn’t particularly athletic, they still say it offers controlled handling and is fairly fun to drive in most settings. However, they add that the tC rides harshly over bumps and potholes.
- "The ride quality is mediocre, however, as many bumps or potholes seem to produce a jiggle or vibration. Excessive road noise and tiresome, incessant droning from the exhaust are also drawbacks." -- Edmunds
- "Retuned steering, new stabilizer bar hardware and reworked shock absorbers should make the new tC a more capable handler than its predecessor, but this isn't the coupe to buy if engaging dynamics are a major purchase factor." -- Left Lane News
- "The tC driving experience has always been the biggest source of debate in regards to the car's designation as a sports coupe. Improvements to the 2014 Scion tC move the needle a bit more to the Yes column, but not definitively." -- Kelley Blue Book (2014)
- "While tC doesn't feel quite as nimble as its looks suggest, its handling is pleasant and confident. In turns, body lean is well checked." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
Next Steps: Scion tC
- View the best prices for the 2015 Scion tC
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Scion tC
- Search used Scion tC for sale (3,103 listings)
- See Affordable Small Cars rankings
- Find Best Deals: Purchase Deals Lease Deals Used Deals