2012 Scion xB Interior
Most auto writers say the 2012 Scion xB's cabin is roomy and well equipped, though it does have its fair share of hard plastics. Many also complain that the controls are hard to master and that the xB’s design creates large blind spots.
- "The interior lacks soft touch surfaces, but the materials are still pleasant for the price." -- Consumer Guide
- "Toyota's interior presences can be felt in the Scion xB's hard, dull plastic parts and stark absence of color or playfulness. About the only original thing inside the 2012 Scion xB's interior is the clean dash with a controversial center-mounted instrument cluster. Available options, such as the Pioneer Premium Audio upgrade add a bit of color to the xB's dash as well as a rich sound to its cabin." -- Kelley Blue Book
The Scion xB’s boxy shape makes it one of the most comfortable cars in its class, with ample space in the front and back seats for tall adults. While there is plenty of interior room, some test drivers think that the rear seat belts are uncomfortable and that the xB’s exterior design creates blind spots.
- "(Rear seats) Plenty of adult-size headroom, foot space, and legroom, even with front seats all the way back. Note that some testers found that the rear shoulder belts rested uncomfortably across the neck." -- Consumer Guide
- "Added last year, a telescoping function to the steering wheel provides a much better driving position for taller drivers who otherwise will find plenty of leg- and headroom." -- Edmunds
- "The 2012 Scion xB's wide rear C-pillars create a look of solidity and strength, but they also create huge blind spots for the driver." -- Kelley Blue Book
The Scion xB comes well-equipped for the class. However, many reviewers cite problems with the placement of controls or note that they had trouble reading the dashboard. Adding navigation makes the audio controls harder to use.
Standard features on the xB include power windows and locks, a tilt and telescopic steering wheel with audio controls and USB and auxiliary input jacks. This year, a Pioneer audio system, which is usually optional in this class, is standard. Bluetooth and HD Radio are also standard. For a touch-screen display, upgrade to the optional Pioneer Premium stereo that allows you to connect to Pandora Internet radio through your smartphone. If you still need more toys, Scion dealers have plenty of factory-approved aftermarket accessories they can sell you.
- "Some elements of the xB's cabin take getting used to. The instrument pod includes a digital speedometer and is mounted high in the middle of dashboard, out of driver's direct line of sight, an annoyance to some testers. The transmission shift lever is mounted on the lower part of the dash rather than on a console. More conventional are the high-mounted audio and climate controls which are simple to operate and easy to reach. The available navigation system incorporates some audio controls, complicating their use." -- Consumer Guide
- "While the climate controls couldn't be any simpler, both of the xB's available radio faceplates are clearly intended for a younger generation used to iPhones and other high-tech gizmos. In other words, they aren't exactly user-friendly, but audiophiles should appreciate their extensive range of adjustability." -- Edmunds
- "The xB has a center-mounted speedometer that some find hard to read. The gauges are red, which is easy on the eyes at night but hard to see during the day. Scion says a recently added black gauge background should help." -- Cars.com
The Scion xB has 11.6 cubic feet of cargo space available behind the backseat and 69.9 cubic feet with the rear seats folded. The xB’s maximum cargo room is comparable with compact SUVs, but reviewers have found that the cargo area’s design limits what you can store.
- "Several bins and trays--including a cubby beneath the rear seat--supply handy interior storage. The split rear seat back folds nearly flat without removing the headrests. The cargo area has an under-floor bin." -- Consumer Guide
- "Fold the 2012 Scion xB's rear seats flat and you'll create nearly 70 cubic feet of cargo space. While this figure is statistically matched by some small crossover utility vehicles, their sloping roofs or small hatch opening limit what can fit inside." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Beyond that, the interior is fairly standard, with a generous amount of cargo room when the rear seat is folded." -- Cars.com