Scion xB Interior
The 2015 Scion xB has more cargo and passenger space than most hatchback competitors, according to critics. Test drivers add that the xB has a simple interior design with straightforward dashboard controls. However, they note that the xB's center-mounted gauges are hard to read, and they say the xB's cabin is mostly made from cut-rate plastics that aren't as impressive as the materials found in rivals. The xB also has limited rearward visibility because of its thick roof pillars.
- "Climb aboard the xB and things will mostly look familiar, including the durable materials and polarizing center-mounted instrument cluster." -- Left Lane News
- "'Simple' is the obvious interior design theme, with knobs and switches easy to find and use. 'Cheap' is another word, thanks to the acres of hard, flat plastic." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Interior quality also leaves something to be desired, as almost every surface is hard plastic. Many similarly priced vehicles have richer cabins." -- Edmunds
- "Interior materials are mediocre, but we suppose plush polymers aren't really the point of a car like this." -- AutoTrader (2014)
The 2015 Scion xB seats five and comes with fabric upholstery. According to reviewers, the xB offers more passenger space than most hatchbacks, with plenty of head- and legroom for four tall adults. They note that the xB's wide rear roof pillars impede visibility.
- "Despite its small, easy-to-park footprint (it's 14.5 inches shorter in length than a Corolla), this Scion offers plenty of room for four full-size adults as well as more than ample room for cargo. After sitting in the xB, check out a more typical small four-door hatchback, and the difference will be apparent as soon as you swing open the door." -- Edmunds
- "The 2015 Scion xB's tall roof means there's plenty of headroom, and the good rear legroom means even tall rear-seat passengers should be comfortable." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The large rear roof pillars block visibility to the rear." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
The Scion xB comes standard with a 6.1-inch touch-screen infotainment system, a rearview camera, a six-speaker Pioneer audio system, Bluetooth, a USB port, an auxiliary audio input, HD Radio and steering wheel-mounted audio controls. A BeSpoke sound system, navigation and smartphone integration are available as dealer-installed accessories.
Test drivers say the buttons and knobs on the xB's dashboard are easy to use, and they write that the infotainment system has a nice-looking display. The xB's gauges are in the middle of the dashboard instead of in front of the driver, which makes them hard to read, according to reviewers.
- "The center-mounted gauges are interesting, but we'd still prefer they were in front of the driver." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Other downsides included poor rear visibility and the quirky center-mounted gauges, which require too much of the driver's attention to scan easily." -- Edmunds
- "At least the climate controls are user-friendly for all. … The digital speedometer is the closest circle, so keeping track of your speed shouldn't be an issue, but we're not sold on the ergonomics of putting gauges somewhere other than in the driver's line of sight. … The standard touchscreen interface looks great, adding a bit of high-tech flair to what's already a pretty distinctive cabin." -- AutoTrader (2014)
- "Scion makes some odd choices for the location of some controls and displays. The instrument pod is mounted high in the middle of dashboard, out of driver's direct line of sight. Some testers find this to be an annoyance, but the digital speedometer readout partially compensates." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
The 2015 Scion xB has a very spacious cargo area for an affordable small car, and its overall cargo capacity even rivals that of many compact SUVs. The xB has 69.9 cubic feet of cargo space with the rear seats folded and 11.6 cubic feet of cargo space with all seats in use. Auto writers are pleased with the amount of interior storage, which includes under-floor bins and a tray under the rear seat.
- "The xB seems a full size up inside. And when you need to haul stuff, flipping down the rear seat yields 70 cubic feet of space. That easily trumps what you get from other small hatchbacks or wagons, while besting even most small crossover SUVs." -- Edmunds
- "When you pack your stuff, you put it in a box. That's the philosophy behind the 2015 Scion xB, and it works out here, as there's an admirable amount of space inside this small wagon for all your stuff on the low and flat cargo floor, or in the roomy rear seat." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Cargo capacity is another of the xB's SUV-like traits, … expanding to a formidable 69.9 cu ft with the rear seat backs folded." -- AutoTrader (2014)
- "Interior small items storage is plentiful, with several bins and trays, including a cubby beneath the rear seat." -- Consumer Guide (2013)