Scion xD Performance
- "I used it to run errands around town on the day before Thanksgiving, and I was thrilled with its in-town visibility and the ease with which I slid into a tight parking space at the always-crowded Ann Arbor Farmers Market." -- Automobile Magazine
- "If you want an engaging drive, this isn't it -- but if your priorities lie elsewhere, the xD's driving character should prove satisfactory." -- Edmunds
Acceleration and Power
Reviewers say the 2012 Scion xD’s standard five-speed manual transmission offers the best performance, and surprisingly, you won’t have to compromise fuel economy for fun. The EPA says the manual transmission and the optional four-speed automatic transmission have the same fuel economy ratings of 27/33 mpg city/highway.
Performance is otherwise typical for the class. Reviewers say that the 128-horsepower 1.8-liter four-cylinder engine has adequate power around town, but it struggles when passing.
- "I didn't even mind the automatic transmission, even though the 1.8-liter four-cylinder makes a modest 128 hp." -- Automobile Magazine
- "Acceleration from a stop is better than expected with either manual or automatic transmission, but hills noticeably slow progress. Passing power is OK around town but modest at highway speeds. The automatic transmission is smooth. The manual has a smooth clutch and shifter." -- Consumer Guide
- "Those who want ample acceleration from stop lights and on freeway on- and off-ramps may be happier with the standard five-speed manual transmission than the optional four-speed automatic." -- Kelley Blue Book
Handling and Braking
Most of the automotive press agrees that the xD is capable of holding its own in twists and turns, and everyone is impressed with its braking abilities. But rougher pavement can take a toll on ride comfort.
- "Very good steering feel, accurate and quick." -- Automobile Magazine
- "The electric-controlled power steering feels artificial at lower speeds, but it's fairly precise and weights up nicely during cornering." -- Edmunds
- "With its short, squat stance the … Scion xD is capable of handling curves and dips in the road with ease, although rough road surfaces will make the ride slightly less comfortable." -- Kelley Blue Book