Subaru Legacy Review
The 2015 Subaru Legacy ranks 10 out of 18 Affordable Midsize Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Subaru Legacy, as well as reliability and safety data.
Test drivers say the redesigned 2015 Subaru Legacy, with its nimble handling, high-end cabin materials and standard all-wheel drive, is prepared to go head-to-head with class leaders.
The standard four-cylinder engine in the 2015 Subaru Legacy delivers decent power for city driving, critics say, but they note that it can feel lethargic on the highway. However, they feel the optional six-cylinder engine delivers strong passing power on the highway. Test drivers find the Legacy’s automatic transmission works smoothly. All-wheel drive is standard. The base 2015 Subaru Legacy gets an EPA-estimated 26/36 mpg city/highway, which is very good for a midsize car, especially one with all-wheel drive. Automotive experts think the 2015 Legacy has nimble handling and a firm, yet comfortable, ride. Sharp steering and powerful brakes also aid the Legacy’s performance, according to critics.
The 2015 Subaru Legacy’s interior is made of premier materials, according to automotive writers. They also find the front seats comfortable and supportive, and the rear seats roomy. Critics note that the Legacy's trunk has less space than its competitors’. The 2015 Subaru Legacy comes standard with a 6.2-inch touch-screen infotainment system, a rearview camera, a USB/iPod input, Bluetooth and smartphone app integration. Available features include an upgraded 7-inch touch-screen infotainment system, blind spot monitoring and Subaru’s camera-based EyeSight system, which provides lane departure warning, automatic pre-collision braking (at speeds less than 30 mph) and adaptive cruise control. Automotive journalists like the 7-inch touch-screen infotainment system, which features gesture-based controls that allow you to scroll and swipe, just like an iPad.
- "The 2015 Subaru Legacy manages to retain the brand's trademarks and quirky charm but suffers none of the traditional drawbacks -- it's efficient, handsome, and refined. Whereas the outgoing Legacy was likely cross-shopped with the Outback and found wanting, the new Legacy, when it debuts this summer, will provide worthy competition to the likes of the Honda Accord." -- Automobile Magazine
- "We think it's an excellent effort, from its handsome looks and upscale interior to its wide variety of comfort and safety features. In fact, we'd put the Legacy near the top of our list if we were searching for a new family sedan." -- AutoTrader
- "Although not without its faults, the 2015 Legacy remains the only vehicle in the segment to offer standard all-wheel-drive while still returning up to 36 mpg on the highway (on par with most front-wheel-drive competitors). This unique powertrain story coupled with a higher-quality interior, attractive pricing, and relevant in-vehicle electronics have elevated the Subaru Legacy into a genuine competitive posture with entrenched nameplates like Camry, Accord and Altima." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Subaru may have a rocky uphill climb ahead in the mid-size sedan segment, but the all-wheel drive Legacy is certainly up to the task. Boasting improved looks, a quiet and refined interior, and a sublime suspension, the Legacy is at or near the top of its class in many regards." -- Left Lane News
Other Cars to Consider
Test drivers report that the Honda Accord has a very spacious, attractive interior that’s appointed with upscale materials. The Accord also gets good fuel economy for the class, and reviewers add that it has more athletic handling than many competitors.
Critics like the Ford Fusion with the 1.5-liter EcoBoost engine because it offers strong acceleration and high fuel economy. The Fusion is also one of the only other affordable midsize cars available with all-wheel drive, and its 16-cubic-foot trunk is one of the largest in the class.
Details: 2015 Subaru Legacy
The 2015 Subaru Legacy seats five and is available in 2.5i, 2.5i Premium, 2.5i Limited and 3.6R Limited trims. The 2015 Legacy comes standard with a 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine, all-wheel drive and a continuously variable transmission (CVT). The 3.6R Limited has a 3.6-liter six-cylinder engine. The Subaru Legacy is completely redesigned for the 2015 model year.
Next Steps: Subaru Legacy
- View the best prices for the 2015 Subaru Legacy
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Subaru Legacy
- Search used Subaru Legacy for sale (4,147 listings)
- See Affordable Midsize Cars rankings