2012 Subaru Legacy Review
The 2012 Subaru Legacy is a good car for weekday commutes and weekend trips off the beaten path, but test drivers say it falls short of rivals in a few areas.
Reviewers think the 2012 Subaru Legacy is good, but not outstanding. The Subaru Legacy has its strengths, including powerful engine options, excellent safety scores and a spacious interior. The Legacy is also the only affordable midsize car with standard all-wheel drive.
However, the Legacy also has its weaknesses. Standard all-wheel drive, while great for inclement weather, makes the Legacy heavier, which negatively affects fuel economy and the car’s acceleration. Test drivers also dislike the Subaru Legacy’s manual transmission, saying it doesn’t shift very smoothly.
Compared with other midsize cars, the Legacy comes with few standard features, which means shoppers have to upgrade to higher trim levels or add optional features to get things like Bluetooth or a USB port, which are standard in cars like the Kia Optima and Toyota Camry.
If all-wheel drive is a must-have, the Legacy is a great car, but if you don’t need this road-gripping feature, auto reviewers say there are better midsize cars out there.
Other Cars to Consider:
If all-wheel drive is one of the reasons you’re considering the Subaru Legacy, check out the Suzuki Kizashi. Though AWD isn’t standard, and you should expect to pay a couple thousand dollars more than the base Legacy to get this feature, test drivers like the Kizashi for its lively handling and upscale interior. They dislike its cramped back seat and wish it had a more powerful engine option. On the upside, the Kizashi has one of the longest powertrain warranties in its class.
Although the Volkswagen Passat doesn’t offer all-wheel drive, an optional diesel engine makes it significantly more fuel-efficient than the Legacy. The Passat also adds standard technology features that the Legacy can’t match.
Subaru Legacy: The Details
The Subaru Legacy is available in seven trim levels: 2.5i, 2.5i Premium, 2.5i Limited, 2.5GT Limited, 3.6R, 3.6R Premium and 3.6R Limited. Aside from a few new tech features, the Legacy is mostly unchanged for 2012. See the full list of 2012 Subaru Legacy specs.
- "With standard all-wheel drive, big-car comfort and lively performance, the 2012 Subaru Legacy is a solid choice among midsize sedans." -- Edmunds
- "Legacy may be the most mainstream Subaru ever. These midsize cars are pleasant to drive, and all versions have a lot of equipment at reasonable prices." -- Consumer Guide
- "If you need AWD, a spacious back seat, and generically handsome looks, then the Legacy is right up your alley." -- Automobile Magazine
Next Steps: Subaru Legacy
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Subaru Legacy for sale (2,589 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Subaru Legacy
- View Subaru Legacy Photos
- See Affordable Midsize Cars rankings