Subaru Tribeca Review
The 2014 Subaru Tribeca ranks 22 out of 23 Affordable Midsize SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Subaru Tribeca, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2014 Subaru Tribeca is ranked:
Automotive critics say the 2014 Subaru Tribeca has a comfortable ride and composed handling, but falls short of rivals because of its cheap interior materials, cramped third row and limited cargo space.
With its standard six-cylinder engine, reviewers say the Tribeca has plenty of power in most cases, though critics comment that it could use a bit more power from a stop. Its five-speed automatic transmission is generally well-liked by reviewers, who say it transmits power well. The 2014 Tribeca earns an EPA fuel economy estimate of 16/21 mpg city/highway, which is low for the class but is comparable to that of its six-cylinder, all-wheel drive rivals’ estimates. According to test drivers, the Tribeca rides comfortably and most say that its handling is stable and controlled. Some add that its steering is well-weighted, though the brake pedal is criticized for its mushy feel.
Test drivers like the unique, flowing dashboard design of the Subaru Tribeca's interior, but criticize the abundance of hard plastic materials. They say the front seats are generally comfortable and supportive, though a lack of backward seat adjustment may make it difficult for taller drivers to find a comfortable driving position. The middle row offers sufficient legroom, but most critics agree that the third row is cramped and best suited to children. There is less cargo space in the Tribeca than in other three-row midsize SUVs, and test drivers note that there is only space for a few shopping bags behind the third row. Some climate and audio controls are awkwardly positioned, reviewers say, but they work well, and auto journalists appreciate that the optional navigation system doesn't absorb climate or audio controls. A 10-speaker Harman Kardon stereo system, Bluetooth, a rearview camera and dual-zone automatic climate control are standard. A rear-seat entertainment system and navigation are optional.
- "… the aging Tribeca trails rivals such as the Nissan Pathfinder, Chevrolet Traverse and Hyundai Santa Fe in technology, fuel economy and feature availability while still commanding a nearly $35,000 starting price." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Over the years, Subaru has revised the CUV with more conventional styling, a stronger engine and simplified 'Tribeca' badging, but larger and more fuel-efficient rivals have left the Subie feeling a bit dated." -- Left Lane News
- "The 2014 Subaru Tribeca soldiers on as the only 7-passenger vehicle in the company's lineup. It's not that the Tribeca is a bad SUV, it's just outgunned by larger, more fuel-efficient and more technologically savvy competitors." -- AutoTrader
- "Comparably equipped, many of Tribeca's rivals are roomier, quieter, more refined, more fuel efficient, and similarly priced." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
Other SUVs to Consider
Reviewers write that the Ford Flex has one of the few adult-friendly third-row seats in the segment. They add that the cabin is constructed with high-quality materials. The Flex offers more cargo space than the Tribeca as well.
According to test drivers, the Dodge Durango has responsive, car-like handling, a potent base V6 engine and a smooth eight-speed automatic transmission. They also like the Durango's intuitive Uconnect infotainment system and use of upscale cabin materials.
Details: 2014 Subaru Tribeca
The 2014 Subaru Tribeca seats seven and comes standard with all-wheel drive, a 3.6-liter six-cylinder engine and a five-speed automatic transmission. There is one trim level and a handful of optional features. The Tribeca hasn't been substantially updated in several years. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from 2014 and prior model years.
Next Steps: Subaru Tribeca
- View the best prices for the 2014 Subaru Tribeca
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Subaru Tribeca
- Search used Subaru Tribeca for sale (593 listings)
- See Affordable Midsize SUVs rankings