2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid
- 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid
Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid Review
The 2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid ranks 15 out of 27 Affordable Compact SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid is ranked:
Though the 2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid has a small cargo area, test drivers say it offers impressive fuel economy, a quiet interior and strong acceleration.
The 2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid comes with an electric motor and a four-cylinder engine, and automotive journalists feel that the combination delivers fast acceleration. They write that the XV Crosstrek Hybrid's standard automatic transmission (CVT) responds quickly, and they note that it has a manual mode that's useful when you're driving in the snow. The 2015 XV Crosstrek Hybrid earns an EPA-estimated 30/34 mpg city/highway, which are some of the best estimates in the class among both hybrid and non-hybrid compact SUVs. However, those estimates are only marginally better than the gas-only model’s. According to some automotive writers, the 2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid has fairly responsive handling and steering, but others say its driving dynamics aren’t very engaging. A few reviewers say the regenerative brakes are more consistent than those of some hybrid rivals, but others say they feel awkward.
According to reviewers, the 2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid has reasonably spacious seats in front and in back. Critics note that the XV Crosstrek Hybrid's cabin is tightly constructed and features a straightforward control layout. The XV Crosstrek Hybrid is also much better insulated against wind and road noise than the non-hybrid model thanks to ample sound-deadening material, test drivers say. Standard features include a 6.2-inch touch screen, a USB port, Bluetooth, Aha smartphone app integration, a rearview camera, heated side mirrors and push-button start. Options include a 7-inch touch screen with voice-activated navigation, satellite radio, a power moonroof and two USB ports. Some reviewers report that the Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid has a straightforward infotainment system and simple dashboard controls. However, some complain that the available navigation system is complicated and the stereo has poor sound quality. The 2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid has 50.2 cubic feet of overall cargo space, which is below average for the class. However, reviewers write that those figures are only slightly smaller than those of the non-hybrid XV Crosstrek. Test drivers appreciate the XV Crosstrek Hybrid’s flat load floor and underfloor storage compartment.
- “If you're drawn to the size and shape of the Subaru Impreza, but live a more outdoorsy lifestyle - or at least want people to think you do - then the 2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek is exactly what you're looking for." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "As for the XV Crosstrek Hybrid, it gets more horsepower and a bump in fuel economy, so you might expect it to be our favorite. Unfortunately, despite its 12 extra horses, the Edmunds ‘C’-rated hybrid weighs almost 300 pounds more, which effectively negates the power injection. You won't benefit much at the pump, either, as the significantly pricier Crosstrek Hybrid provides a mere 2-mpg advantage over the regular Crosstrek with the CVT." -- Edmunds
- "There's no question that Subaru could have created a more aggressive hybrid with more electric assist and even better MPG. But doing so would have hurt the resulting car's versatility and increased the price." -- Motor Trend (2014)
- "If you absolutely, positively have to have the words ‘hybrid,’ ‘compact crossover’ and ‘all-wheel drive’ in your life, then - since it's the only one that exists - yes, this is for you. Or if you only ever plan to drive your Subaru in the city, also yes. Outside of those rather specific parameters, you might be better off saving that $2,700 - or more, depending on spec - and, oh, taking a trip to Iceland." -- Autoblog (2014)
Other SUVs to Consider
The Nissan Rogue offers excellent cargo space and great fuel economy estimates for a gas-only SUV. The Rogue is one of the few compact SUVs that can be equipped with a third row, and reviewers say its cabin has high-quality materials.
Reviewers say the Ford Escape has sporty driving dynamics and an optional powerful turbocharged engine. They also appreciate its good-looking cabin. Additionally, the Escape has more cargo space than the XV Crosstrek Hybrid.
Details: 2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid
The 2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid seats five and comes standard with all-wheel drive. A 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine and a CVT are standard. There are two available trims: Hybrid and Hybrid Touring. The non-hybrid Subaru XV Crosstrek is reviewed separately. The XV Crosstrek Hybrid was an all-new model for 2014 and sees few changes for 2015. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2014 and 2015 model years.
Next Steps: Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid
- View the best prices for the 2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid
- See Affordable Compact SUVs rankings