2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid
- 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid
Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid Review
The 2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid ranks 13 out of 25 Affordable Compact SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid is ranked:
The 2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid offers quick acceleration, a quiet cabin and great fuel economy, but it has limited cargo room, reviewers say.
Powering the 2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid is a four-cylinder engine and an electric motor mated to an automatic transmission (CVT). Reviewers agree that the engine and electric motor put out more than enough power for quick acceleration. They also report that its transmission is responsive, and the manual mode is helpful when driving in snowy conditions. The 2015 XV Crosstrek Hybrid earns an EPA-estimated 30/34 mpg city/highway, which are some of the best estimates in the class among both hybrid and non-hybrid compact SUVs. However, those estimates are only marginally better than the gas-only model’s. According to some automotive writers, the 2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid has fairly responsive handling and steering, but others say its driving dynamics aren’t very engaging. A few reviewers say the regenerative brakes are more consistent than those of some hybrid rivals, but others say they feel awkward.
Automotive writers appreciate the 2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid’s simple interior layout and well-made cabin. They note that there are plenty of sound-deadening materials that significantly limit wind and road noise, especially compared to the non-hybrid model’s cabin. Some also point out that the seats are fairly roomy in both rows. Standard features include a 6.2-inch touch screen, a USB port, Bluetooth, Aha smartphone app integration, a rearview camera, heated side mirrors and push-button start. Options include a 7-inch touch screen with voice-activated navigation, satellite radio, a power moonroof and two USB ports. Some reviewers report that the Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid has a straightforward infotainment system and simple dashboard controls. However, some complain that the available navigation system is complicated and the stereo has poor sound quality. The 2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid has 50.2 cubic feet of overall cargo space, which is below average for the class. However, reviewers write that those figures are only slightly smaller than those of the non-hybrid XV Crosstrek. Test drivers appreciate the XV Crosstrek Hybrid’s flat load floor and underfloor storage compartment.
- “If you're drawn to the size and shape of the Subaru Impreza, but live a more outdoorsy lifestyle - or at least want people to think you do - then the 2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek is exactly what you're looking for." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "As for the XV Crosstrek Hybrid, it gets more horsepower and a bump in fuel economy, so you might expect it to be our favorite. Unfortunately, despite its 12 extra horses, the Edmunds ‘C’-rated hybrid weighs almost 300 pounds more, which effectively negates the power injection. You won't benefit much at the pump, either, as the significantly pricier Crosstrek Hybrid provides a mere 2-mpg advantage over the regular Crosstrek with the CVT." -- Edmunds
- "There's no question that Subaru could have created a more aggressive hybrid with more electric assist and even better MPG. But doing so would have hurt the resulting car's versatility and increased the price." -- Motor Trend (2014)
- "If you absolutely, positively have to have the words ‘hybrid,’ ‘compact crossover’ and ‘all-wheel drive’ in your life, then - since it's the only one that exists - yes, this is for you. Or if you only ever plan to drive your Subaru in the city, also yes. Outside of those rather specific parameters, you might be better off saving that $2,700 - or more, depending on spec - and, oh, taking a trip to Iceland." -- Autoblog (2014)
Other SUVs to Consider
The Nissan Rogue offers excellent cargo space and great fuel economy estimates for a gas-only SUV. The Rogue is one of the few compact SUVs that can be equipped with a third row, and reviewers say its cabin has high-quality materials.
Reviewers say the Ford Escape has sporty driving dynamics and an optional powerful turbocharged engine. They also appreciate its good-looking cabin. Additionally, the Escape has more cargo space than the XV Crosstrek Hybrid.
Details: 2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid
The 2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid seats five and comes standard with all-wheel drive. A 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine and a CVT are standard. There are two available trims: Hybrid and Hybrid Touring. The non-hybrid Subaru XV Crosstrek is reviewed separately. The XV Crosstrek Hybrid was an all-new model for 2014 and sees few changes for 2015. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2014 and 2015 model years.
Next Steps: Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid
- View the best prices for the 2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid
- See Affordable Compact SUVs rankings