2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid
Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid Review
The 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid ranks 7 out of 22 Affordable Compact SUVs. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid is ranked:
Reviewers say the 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid's great on-road prowess, capable all-wheel drive system and quiet cabin make it a strong competitor.
Test drivers think the XV Crosstrek Hybrid's four-cylinder engine and electric motor put out enough power for highway passing and city driving, and many note that the Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid feels quicker than its gas-only sibling. Equipped with standard all-wheel drive and a continuously variable transmission (CVT), the XV Crosstrek Hybrid gets an estimated 29/33 mpg city/highway. While these estimates are great for a compact SUV and better than most larger hybrid SUVs, they're only slightly better than the non-hybrid XV Crosstrek. Test drivers are generally pleased with the XV Crosstrek Hybrid's all-wheel drive system, noting that the XV Crosstrek Hybrid can handle rugged terrain. Auto writers also like the XV Crosstrek Hybrid's responsive steering and nimble handling. Additionally, some note that the XV Crosstrek Hybrid’s brakes offer excellent pedal feel, especially for a hybrid.
According to some auto writers, the Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid stands out from the non-hybrid version with an interior that’s more quiet and refined. The 2014 XV Crosstrek Hybrid comes with a notable amount of standard features for the class, including a rearview camera, heated front seats, a six-speaker audio system with a USB port and iPod controls, Bluetooth, an auxiliary input and push-button start. Optional features include a voice-activated navigation system, Aha smartphone app integration, a moonroof and satellite radio. Reviewers are generally pleased with the XV Crosstrek Hybrid's interior, but some say the optional navigation system can be difficult to use. The XV Crosstrek Hybrid’s cargo space is on the small side for the class, but some test drivers say it doesn't sacrifice much space over the gas-only model and has plenty of room for luggage.
- "After three long days behind the wheel of the Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid in the most challenging of conditions … we came away very impressed by its all-around capabilities. It offers very good fuel economy - tops in its class - plus remarkable versatility and off-highway capability. It's not quite a ‘go-anywhere’ vehicle, but for the uses its buyers will put it to, we think it's a perfect choice." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "There's no question that Subaru could have created a more aggressive hybrid with more electric assist and even better MPG. But doing so would have hurt the resulting car's versatility and increased the price." -- Motor Trend
- "If you absolutely, positively have to have the words ‘hybrid,’ ‘compact crossover’ and ‘all-wheel drive’ in your life, then - since it's the only one that exists - yes, this is for you. Or if you only ever plan to drive your Subaru in the city, also yes. Outside of those rather specific parameters, you might be better off saving that $2,700 - or more, depending on spec - and, oh, taking a trip to Iceland." -- Autoblog
- "Credit Subaru for developing a hybrid system ready to conquer the world. Sure, we could wish for better fuel economy, but simply slapping a hybrid badge and some semblance of EV ability onto one of the automaker's most surprisingly good cars almost ensures it success in places like Colorado and the Pacific Northwest. How many Toyota Prius owners have been eying their local Subaru dealer waiting for a hybrid to arrive? A lot, we bet. And the best news is that their new XV Crosstrek Hybrids are ready for anything. You can't say that about a Prius." -- Left Lane News
Other SUVs to Consider
The 2014 Nissan Rogue offers excellent cargo space and great fuel economy estimates for the class. The Rogue is one of the few compact SUVs that’s available with a third row of seats, and test drivers like its well-appointed cabin.
If you're in the market for a compact SUV with sporty driving dynamics, consider the Ford Escape. The Escape’s optional 2.0-liter EcoBoost engine is one of the most powerful in the class, and test drivers appreciate the Escape’s roomy back seat.
Details: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid
The all-new 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid seats five and comes standard with all-wheel drive. A 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine and a CVT are standard. There are two available trims: Hybrid and Hybrid Touring. The non-hybrid Subaru XV Crosstrek is reviewed separately.
Next Steps: Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid
- View the best prices for the 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid
- See Affordable Compact SUVs rankings