Original MSRP: $109,000 - $128,500
2010 Tesla Roadster Recalls & Reliability
Review Last Updated: 11/30/09
There has been 1 safety recall issued from NHTSA.
ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:BATTERY:CABLESRecall Date: 10/01/2010
- Consequence: SHORT CIRCUIT AND ELECTRICAL ARCING COULD LEAD TO A FIRE IN THE RIGHT FRONT HEADLAMP AREA.
- NHTSA Campaign ID: 10V458000
- Potential Number of Units Affected: 439
- Summary: TESLA IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2010 ROADSTER 2.0 AND 2.5 VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 12V AUXILIARY CABLE. THE 12V AUXILIARY CABLE FOR THE LOW VOLTAGE BACK UP POWER SYSTEM MAY BE IMPROPERLY ROUTED. IF THE WIRE IS IMPROPERLY ROUTED, AND TRAPPED AGAINST THE WHEEL WELL COVER, THE WIRE MAY ABRADE AGAINST THE EDGE OF THE CARBON FIBER ARMATURE AND, OVER TIME, EXPOSE THE WIRE. CONTACT BETWEEN THE BARE WIRE AND CARBON FIBER MAY CAUSE A SHORT-CIRCUIT LEADING TO POSSIBLE ELECTRICAL ARCHING.
- Remedy: TESLA MOTORS WILL CHECK THE ROUTING OF THE 12V AUXILIARY CABLE AND INSTALL A PROTECTIVE SLEEVE OVER THE WIRE FREE OF CHARGE. THIS WILL PREVENT MISROUTING AND PINCHING BY THE WHEEL WELL COVER. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING OCTOBER 2010. OWNERS MAY CONTACT TESLA CUSTOMER SERVICE AT 877-888-3752.
- Notes: OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .
There is no reliability data available for this vehicle.
The 2010 Roadster comes with a 3-year/36,000-mile base warranty. Though coverage includes the battery pack, Tesla asserts that the Roadster's battery "is expected to maintain good driving performance for up to 100,000 miles or five years, whichever comes first."
Car shoppers should note that the Tesla Roadster can only be serviced at a Tesla Store. According to the automaker's website, there are currently only seven such locations in North America. They are, however, spread throughout the West Coast, East Coast, Midwest and Southeast. Tesla states that the Roadster requires service by a Tesla-certified technician every 12 months or 12,000 miles.
Shoppers interested in buying a car from any new auto manufacturer should keep in mind that there is no history of reliability to assure them that their purchase is sound.
- "[T]here's the fear of being stuck with a fancy paperweight should the company go under." -- Car and Driver
Next Steps: Tesla Roadster