Toyota Avalon Hybrid Review
The 2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid ranks 6 out of 10 Affordable Large Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Toyota Avalon Hybrid, as well as reliability and safety data.
Test drivers agree that the 2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid offers great fuel economy and a comfortable, high-quality interior, though some say it isn’t the most fun-to-drive car in the class.
The Avalon Hybrid has a four-cylinder engine and an electric motor, and most critics say the combination provides adequate acceleration. A continuously variable transmission (CVT) is standard. According to the EPA, the 2014 Avalon Hybrid gets 40/39 mpg city/highway, which is mid-pack for a hybrid sedan, but outstanding for an affordable large car. Reviewers agree that the Avalon Hybrid is not particularly fun to drive, and some say that its regenerative brakes are touchy. However, they write that its handling is composed and its ride is smooth, as is expected in this class.
Reviewers say the Avalon Hybrid’s interior is among the nicest in the class because of its top-notch materials and attractive design. Reviewers write that the Avalon Hybrid has comfortable, supportive and roomy front and back seats. The 2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid has more trunk space than most hybrid sedans, but less than most other affordable large cars. Reviewers say that the Avalon Hybrid’s audio and climate controls have a logical layout and are easy to use. Standard features in the 2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid include a rearview camera, dual-zone automatic climate control, push-button start and Toyota’s Display Audio sound system, which includes a 6.1-inch touch-screen display, eight speakers, Bluetooth phone and audio streaming, an auxiliary input and a USB port. Available features include tri-zone automatic climate control, a JBL audio system, navigation, satellite radio and adaptive cruise control.
- "Overall, though, the 2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid's excellent fuel economy, distinctive styling and accommodating cabin make for a pretty impressive package." -- Edmunds
- "While the Hybrid's electric-drive components obtrude in the driving experience, they certainly are well-packaged within the car, minimizing space, weight, and price penalties." -- Automobile Magazine (2013)
- "While we enjoy the V6 model, the new Avalon Hybrid is the star player in the lineup. For a marginal price premium, the 2013 Avalon Hybrid offers plenty of power for everyday driving and up to 40 mpg combined city/highway - impressive figures for a full-size sedan." -- Kelley Blue Book (2013)
- "If you're in the market for a stylish yet cushy sedan with plenty of room and laudable efficiency, you could do worse than moseying on over to the nearest Toyota dealership to look at the Avalon and Avalon Hybrid. Just don't expect sporting driving dynamics and you won't be disappointed." -- Autoblog (2013)
Other Cars to Consider
The Buick LaCrosse eAssist has a lower base price than the Avalon Hybrid, and offers nearly as many standard features. Reviewers like its luxurious interior and smooth powertrain. Although the LaCrosse eAssist’s fuel economy isn’t as good as the Avalon Hybrid’s, it is still excellent for an affordable large car.
Reviewers agree that the Honda Accord Hybrid has lots of passenger space and an attractive, high-quality interior. They are also impressed with the Accord Hybrid’s lively handling and strong acceleration. The Accord Hybrid gets better fuel economy than the Avalon Hybrid.
Details: 2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid
The 2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid seats five and has front-wheel drive. It has a 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine and an electric motor, which are mated to a continuously variable transmission (CVT). Three trims are offered: XLE Premium, XLE Touring and Limited. The gas-only Avalon is reviewed separately. The Avalon Hybrid was introduced for the 2013 model year and sees no major changes for 2014. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2013 and 2014 model years.
Next Steps: Toyota Avalon Hybrid
- View the best prices for the 2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid
- See Affordable Large Cars rankings