Toyota Avalon Hybrid Review
The 2015 Toyota Avalon Hybrid ranks 5 out of 10 Affordable Large Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Toyota Avalon Hybrid, as well as reliability and safety data.
The 2015 Toyota Avalon Hybrid pleases auto writers with its comfortable ride, top-quality interior and great fuel economy, although some note it’s not the most engaging car in the class.
The 2015 Toyota Avalon Hybrid has a four-cylinder engine and an electric motor that provide decent acceleration, according to critics. An automatic transmission (CVT) is standard. According to the EPA, the 2015 Avalon Hybrid gets 40/39 mpg city/highway, which is OK compared to other hybrids’ estimates and excellent for the class overall. Reviewers agree that the Avalon Hybrid has a comfortable ride. Most auto writers say the Toyota Avalon Hybrid’s handling is stable and predictable, though not very exciting. Critics add that steering is responsive, but that its brakes are a bit touchy, which is often the case with hybrids.
Auto journalists report that the 2015 Toyota Avalon Hybrid has one of the best interiors in the class, with elegant materials and a stylish design. They also praise its spacious cabin and comfortable seats in both rows. Trunk space in the Avalon Hybrid is good for a hybrid sedan, but poor compared with that of other affordable large cars. Standard features include a rearview camera, dual-zone automatic climate control, leather upholstery and Toyota’s Entune Audio Plus system, which includes a 6.1-inch touch screen, satellite radio, Bluetooth and HD Radio. Available features include tri-zone automatic climate control, an 11-speaker JBL audio system, navigation and adaptive cruise control. Test drivers think the Avalon Hybrid’s infotainment system is easy to use and responds quickly to touch commands.
- "With its upscale styling, welcoming cabin and impressive fuel economy, the 2015 Toyota Avalon Hybrid earns our respect as a top choice for buyers looking for a fuel-sipping full-size sedan." -- Edmunds
- "Looking to appeal to buyers outside of the Avalon's traditional septuagenarian base, Toyota recently gave the sedan a retuned suspension for more responsive handling, along with a thorough restyling that resulted in a newly distinctive look. Those qualities, in combination with refinement worthy of Toyota's Lexus luxury division, transform the Avalon into a highly competitive offering. The addition of a hybrid model further expands the sedan's appeal." -- Left Lane News
- "While we enjoy the V6 model, the new Avalon Hybrid is the star player in the lineup. For a marginal price premium, the 2013 Avalon Hybrid offers plenty of power for everyday driving and up to 40 mpg combined city/highway - impressive figures for a full-size sedan." -- Kelley Blue Book (2013)
- "If you're in the market for a stylish yet cushy sedan with plenty of room and laudable efficiency, you could do worse than moseying on over to the nearest Toyota dealership to look at the Avalon and Avalon Hybrid. Just don't expect sporting driving dynamics and you won't be disappointed." -- Autoblog (2013)
Other Cars to Consider
The mild hybrid Buick LaCrosse eAssist has a smooth, refined ride, according to reviewers, as well as an upscale cabin. While the LaCrosse eAssist isn’t quite as fuel-efficient as the Avalon Hybrid, it still gets great fuel economy for the class.
Auto writers note that the Honda Accord Hybrid has very quick acceleration for a hybrid, and it gets better fuel economy than the Avalon Hybrid. They say its interior is attractive and spacious, with a lot of room for passengers.
Details: 2015 Toyota Avalon Hybrid
The front-wheel drive 2015 Toyota Avalon Hybrid comes with a 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine and an electric motor, which are paired with a continuously variable transmission (CVT). The Avalon Hybrid comes in three trims: XLE Premium, XLE Touring and Limited. The gas-only Avalon is reviewed separately. The Avalon Hybrid was introduced for the 2013 model year and sees no major changes for 2015. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2013 through 2015 model years.
Next Steps: Toyota Avalon Hybrid
- View the best prices for the 2015 Toyota Avalon Hybrid
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Toyota Avalon Hybrid
- See Affordable Large Cars rankings