2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid
Toyota Avalon Hybrid Review
The 2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid ranks 8 out of 10 Affordable Large Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Toyota Avalon Hybrid, as well as reliability and safety data.
It’s not the most fun-to-drive car in the class, but test drivers say the all-new 2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid offers great fuel economy and a comfortable, well-equipped interior.
The 2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid is powered by a four-cylinder engine and an electric motor, which most auto reviewers say provides adequate power. A continuously variable transmission (CVT) sends power to the front wheels. Reviewers offer little comment about the CVT, but they agree that the Avalon Hybrid gets great fuel economy, and that transitions between gas and electric power are tough to detect. According to the EPA, the Avalon Hybrid gets 40/39 mpg city/highway, which is better than large cars like the Buick LaCrosse eAssist. Some critics say that the Avalon Hybrid handles similarly to the gas-only Avalon. They say that both cars offer a smooth ride and composed, if not particularly exciting, handling. While few critics consider the Avalon Hybrid fun to drive, they also feel that the Avalon Hybrid meets its goals as a comfortable, fuel-efficient large car.
In general, test drivers are floored by the 2013 Avalon Hybrid’s spacious, upscale interior. They love the Avalon Hybrid’s exceptional build quality and premium materials, and note that its back seat is extremely spacious and comfortable. The all-new Avalon Hybrid is priced higher than many cars in the class, but it also comes with more standard features. The base Avalon Hybrid comes with dual-zone automatic climate control, push-button start, a backup camera and an eight-speaker stereo with Bluetooth phone and audio streaming and a USB port. Options and features available on higher trims include tri-zone automatic climate control, an upgraded stereo with navigation and satellite radio and radar-based cruise control.
- "While the Hybrid's electric-drive components obtrude in the driving experience, they certainly are well-packaged within the car, minimizing space, weight, and price penalties." -- Automobile Magazine
- "While we enjoy the V6 model, the new Avalon Hybrid is the star player in the lineup. For a marginal price premium, the 2013 Avalon Hybrid offers plenty of power for everyday driving and up to 40 mpg combined city/highway - impressive figures for a full-size sedan." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The Avalon Hybrid follows roughly the same trim-level structure, starting with the Hybrid XLE Premium for $35,555. ... When you consider the 15-mpg advantage that the extra dough nets you, I'd say it's worth considering." -- CNET
- "If you're in the market for a stylish yet cushy sedan with plenty of room and laudable efficiency, you could do worse than moseying on over to the nearest Toyota dealership to look at the Avalon and Avalon Hybrid. Just don't expect sporting driving dynamics and you won't be disappointed." -- Autoblog
Other Cars to Consider
The Chevrolet Volt costs a bit more, and it’s not as spacious inside as the Avalon Hybrid. However, reviewers appreciate the Volt’s composed handling and high-tech, plug-in hybrid powertrain, which allows the Volt to travel up to 38 miles on an electric charge.
The Buick LaCrosse eAssist offers nearly as many standard features, and most reviewers love its comfortable, upscale interior. While the LaCrosse eAssist’s fuel economy isn’t quite as good as the Avalon Hybrid’s, it also carries a lower base price.
Details: 2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid
The 2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid seats five and has front-wheel drive. A 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine and an electric motor are paired to a continuously variable transmission (CVT). Three trims are offered: XLE Premium (Base), XLE Touring and Limited. Each trim adds to the Avalon Hybrid’s list of interior features as well as some upgrades to its interior materials. The Avalon Hybrid is an all-new model that shares its platform with the gas-only Toyota Avalon.
Next Steps: Toyota Avalon Hybrid
- View the best prices for the 2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid
- See Affordable Large Cars rankings