Toyota Avalon Review
The 2013 Toyota Avalon ranks 3 out of 8 Affordable Large Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of 7 published reviews and test drives of the Toyota Avalon, and our analysis of reliability and safety data.
Test drivers say that updated styling and a spacious, comfortable interior make the redesigned 2013 Toyota Avalon one of the most upscale cars in the class.
The 2013 Toyota Avalon comes with a V6 engine that most test drivers say provides ample power. A six-speed automatic transmission is standard, and reviewers write that it’s refined with exceptionally smooth gear changes. Fuel economy is an EPA-estimated 21/31 mpg city/highway, which is slightly better than most affordable large cars. Like the 2012 model, the redesigned Avalon offers a comfort-tuned ride that test drivers appreciate. However, most automotive critics also say that the new Avalon handles much better than the old car, which was often regarded as ponderous and floaty. While improved agility corrects one of the old Avalon’s biggest weaknesses, reviewers speak more highly about the Chrysler 300, Dodge Charger and Ford Taurus when it comes to performance.
Inside, the 2013 Avalon wows reviewers with its finely-crafted interior. Many say that the Avalon’s solid construction and premium materials approach Lexus in terms of quality, and its spacious back seat is regarded as one of the most comfortable in the class. The all-new Avalon is priced higher than large cars like the Charger and Taurus, but it also comes with more standard features. Dual-zone automatic climate control, push-button start and an eight-speaker stereo with Bluetooth phone and audio streaming and a USB port come standard on the base model. Options and features available on higher trims include tri-zone automatic climate control, an upgraded stereo with navigation and satellite radio, a backup camera and radar-based cruise control.
- "For modest souls who would never want to ride behind the Lexus badge, the Avalon offers style and features that encroach on Lexus territory." -- Automobile Magazine
- "Unlike its predecessor, the 2013 Avalon makes sense in the Toyota/Lexus hierarchy, and it's better to drive than both the Lexus ES and the Camry while also delivering luxury and refinement that neatly splits those two cars." -- Car and Driver
- "This latest iteration preserves the high levels of luxury and comfort that made the Avalons of yesteryear such a success, but adds a dose of athleticism and panache to the mix." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Like its predecessors, the latest Avalon was designed around Camry architectural elements, but it's bigger-based on interior volume, the EPA classifies it as a large car-with adult-size roominess front and rear. Add handsome interior treatments plus quiet operation and attractive pricing, and the Avalon's appeal expands well beyond its previous limits." -- Popular Mechanics
Other Cars to Consider
The Buick LaCrosse isn’t as spacious inside, but most reviewers agree that the LaCrosse still has a comfortable and luxurious interior. Additionally, the LaCrosse offers nearly as many standard features, and is available in a mild-hybrid eAssist trim that gets great fuel economy.
The Chrysler 300 costs slightly less than the Avalon, but has just as much standard equipment. Like the Avalon, test drivers love the 300’s high-quality interior and powerful V6, but they also note that the 300 has some of the most user-friendly tech features in the class.
Details: 2013 Toyota Avalon
The 2013 Toyota Avalon seats five and comes with a 3.5-liter V6 engine, a six-speed automatic transmission and front-wheel drive. Four trims are offered: XLE, XLE Premium, XLE Touring and Limited. The Toyota Avalon Hybrid is reviewed separately. Each trim adds to the Avalon’s list of interior features as well as some upgrades to its interior materials. The Avalon has been completely redesigned for 2013.
Next Steps: Toyota Avalon
Get the U.S. News Best Price for the Toyota Avalon
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Toyota Avalon for sale (4,947 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Toyota Avalon
- See what others paid for the 2013 Toyota Avalon
- View Toyota Avalon Photos
- See Affordable Large Cars rankings