Toyota Camry Hybrid Review
The 2013 Toyota Camry Hybrid ranks 2 out of 20 Affordable Midsize Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of 12 published reviews and test drives of the Toyota Camry Hybrid, and our analysis of reliability and safety data.
The 2013 Toyota Camry Hybrid ranks high in its class for its strong hybrid performance and large cabin.
The Toyota Camry Hybrid has a four-cylinder engine, electric motor and electronically-controlled continuously variable transmission (ECVT). One thing test drivers like about its hybrid powertrain is the seamless transition between the gas engine and electric motor. At 43/39 mpg city/highway, the base Camry Hybrid’s fuel economy is very high for the class. Reviewers think the Camry Hybrid has good power from a stop and for passing on the highway, as well as a quiet, controlled ride. Some critics think the regenerative brakes are touchy, while others think they’re linear.
With lots of high-quality materials, good craftsmanship, plenty of available high-tech features and spacious, comfortable seats, the automotive press says the 2013 Camry Hybrid has one of the nicer cabins in the class. Although reviewers wish the trunk pass-through were bigger, they’re still happy with the amount of cargo room that’s available. Standard features include 10 airbags, USB and auxiliary audio jacks, dual-zone automatic climate control and push-button start. Available features include things like a rearview camera, navigation, Bluetooth, satellite radio, HD Radio, 10-speaker JBL sound system, blind spot monitoring system and Toyota’s Entune infotainment system. Test drivers focus their comments on the Entune system, which syncs with your smartphone and uses your data plan to access things like Bing and Pandora Internet Radio and provide live weather, traffic, stock and gas price information. Most say it is intuitive to use.
- "We're especially impressed with the substantially improved Hybrid, which deftly blends promising fuel economy ratings with peppy acceleration and a laudably seamless powertrain." -- Consumer Guide (2012)
- "From the spacious cabin to the quiet ride and the great handling to the available power, I think that the Camry Hybrid is really the perfect family car. I could see my family loading up the car for a road trip and actually enjoying the drive - no one would be cramped, our ears wouldn't be irritated by road noise and the vehicle is even fun to drive." -- Forbes (2012)
- "Numerous new noise-abatement technologies also make the 2013 Toyota Camry nearly silent over most roads." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The interior is a few flubs short of family-car excellence, and the skateboard tires mar an otherwise refined driving experience. But in the most important aspects, the Camry Hybrid leaps past its predecessor." -- Cars.com (2012)
- "The … Toyota Camry Hybrid is a solid hybrid family sedan thanks to improved fuel economy and enhanced driving dynamics." -- Edmunds (2012)
Other Cars to Consider
The Ford Fusion Hybrid was redesigned for 2013 and has some of the highest fuel economy estimates in the class at 47/47 mpg city/highway, which is better than the Camry Hybrid’s 43/39 mpg. Auto critics like the Fusion Hybrid’s quiet powertrain, good power and torque, roomy interior and trunk and stylish exterior.
If you want class-topping fuel economy, the Toyota Prius is a good choice. At 51/48 mpg city/highway, the Prius has outstanding fuel efficiency. Reviewers compliment the Prius’ large hatchback cargo area and spacious rear seat. If performance is a priority, the Camry Hybrid is the better choice, as reviewers note that the Prius is a lackluster performer.
Details: 2013 Toyota Camry Hybrid
The five-seat 2013 Toyota Camry Hybrid is available in two trims: LE and XLE. Both trims have a four-cylinder engine, electric motor and continuously variable transmission. The Camry Hybrid was redesigned for the 2012 model year and since it sees no major changes for 2013, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from 2012 and 2013.
Next Steps: Toyota Camry Hybrid
Get the U.S. News Best Price for the Toyota Camry Hybrid
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Toyota Camry Hybrid for sale (27,660 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Toyota Camry-Hybrid
- See what others paid for the 2013 Toyota Camry Hybrid
- View Toyota Camry Hybrid Photos
- See Affordable Midsize Cars rankings