Toyota Camry Hybrid Review
The 2014 Toyota Camry Hybrid ranks 5 out of 22 Affordable Midsize Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Toyota Camry Hybrid, as well as reliability and safety data.
Test drivers say the 2014 Toyota Camry Hybrid has a spacious cabin, a refined powertrain and drives much like a gas-only car, which is high praise for a hybrid.
Reviewers are impressed by the amount of power generated by the Toyota Camry Hybrid’s four-cylinder engine and electric motor, saying it’s surprisingly peppy for a hybrid sedan. They also say the continuously variable transmission is refined, and that transitions between electric and gas power are imperceptible. According to the EPA, the Camry Hybrid gets up to 43/39 mpg city/highway, which is excellent for a midsize car, but not as good as what hybrids like the Toyota Prius get. Steering is responsive and the ride is comfortable, quiet and controlled, reviewers say. Most test drivers say the regenerative brakes have a nice pedal feel, which is a rare compliment for a hybrid. The Camry Hybrid comes standard with 10 air bags, including driver and front passenger knee air bags, which is notable for the class.
Reviewers say the 2014 Camry Hybrid’s cabin is well-constructed, modern and quiet. Test drivers find that all seats are supportive, especially in the back, where seats are long-haul comfy and there’s ample head- and legroom. While reviewers wish the trunk pass-through was larger, the Camry Hybrid offers a decent amount of cargo space for the class. Standard features include a six-speaker audio system with a touch-screen display, a USB port, Bluetooth phone and audio streaming, steering wheel-mounted audio controls and dual-zone automatic climate control. A premium navigation package includes a 7-inch touch screen, a 10-speaker JBL sound system, satellite radio, smartphone-enabled traffic and weather updates and voice-activated phone and navigation systems. Additional options include a rearview camera, a moonroof, blind spot monitoring with rear cross-traffic alert and an alarm system. Test drivers note that while the Camry Hybrid’s audio and climate controls are simple, rival stereo systems can be easier to use.
- "The 2014 Toyota Camry Hybrid doesn't have the top fuel economy numbers in its class, but it's still a great choice for a hybrid family sedan thanks to its accommodating interior and strong performance." -- Edmunds
- "There's a reason that Camry has been the best-selling car in America the last 11 years running: all-around goodness, with no significant flaws. Camry Hybrid shares nearly all of those traits, including solid handling, a quiet and comfortable ride, and a pleasant and accommodating interior." -- Consumer Guide (2013)
- "Numerous new noise-abatement technologies also make the 2013 Toyota Camry nearly silent over most roads." -- Kelley Blue Book (2013)
- "From the spacious cabin to the quiet ride and the great handling to the available power, I think that the Camry Hybrid is really the perfect family car. I could see my family loading up the car for a road trip and actually enjoying the drive - no one would be cramped, our ears wouldn't be irritated by road noise and the vehicle is even fun to drive." -- Forbes (2012)
Other Cars to Consider
The Ford Fusion Hybrid receives praise from test drivers for its quiet powertrain and smooth power delivery. Fuel economy is better than in the Camry Hybrid and green-minded shoppers will appreciate that the Fusion Hybrid is equipped with cloth seats made from recycled materials.
Reviewers say the Toyota Prius has a spacious back seat, plus it gets some of the best fuel economy ratings in the class. Its hatchback body style also offers more cargo space than the Camry Hybrid.
Details: 2014 Toyota Camry Hybrid
The five-seat 2014 Toyota Camry Hybrid has front-wheel drive and is available in two trims: LE and XLE. A 2.5-liter, four-cylinder engine and an electric motor are paired with a continuously variable transmission in both models. The Camry Hybrid sees no major changes since its 2012 redesign. As a result, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2012, 2013 and 2014 model years.
Next Steps: Toyota Camry Hybrid
- View the best prices for the 2014 Toyota Camry Hybrid
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Toyota Camry Hybrid
- Search used Toyota Camry Hybrid for sale (24,615 listings)
- See Affordable Midsize Cars rankings