2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid Review
This review was written when the 2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid was new.
The 2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid is a comfortable cruiser with great fuel economy and plenty of interior features, but as a hybrid car it doesn't have the same performance capabilities of conventional sedans.
According to most automotive writers, the 2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid nicely balances performance, comfort and fuel economy. With such a troubling economy, reviewers say the car is a smart purchase as a good eco-friendly vehicle with much of the performance abilities of regular family sedans. Compared to another popular hybrid, the Toyota Prius, reports, "The Prius can't match the Camry's quietness and its elegant ride."
The 2008 Camry Hybrid is also considered a good value. CNN lists the car as one of the most-cost effective hybrids sold today, based on a value equation that weighs its premium against its annual fuel savings. In previous years many have complained about the Camry Hybrid's inflated price, but for 2008 model has a lower manufacturer's suggested retail price. Toyota considers the Hybrid the top-of-the-line trim for its conventional ; therefore, the car comes fully loaded like the Camry XLE. If you're in the market for an affordable midsize sedan, consider the Honda Accord, redesigned to be more fuel efficient for 2008. Also consider the conventional Toyota Camry. If you're interested in a hybrid model, consider the Toyota Prius or the Nissan Altima Hybrid.
- "If you want to be green but don't want to announce it to other road users, then the Camry hybrid makes sense." -- Car and Driver
- "Wrapped around the Camry's gasoline-electric powertrain is a car so appealing - a not-too-big, not-too-small vehicle that does virtually everything right - that it's not difficult to understand its popularity." -- Newsday
- "This may be the only car on earth able to satisfy performance junkies and ecoconservatives. It's a uniter, not a divider." -- Motor Trend
- "If you want a cool car, with the latest technology, lots of room, decent styling, outstanding quality, and killer fuel economy (for its size), hurry on down to your Toyota dealer." -- Fort Worth Star-Telegram
- "With the new Camry Hybrid, it's difficult to tell at a glance that this mid-size family car is any different from its basic gas-engine sibling, outside of the subtle badging on its flanks. But in most other respects, you'd be hard-pressed to tell this is one of the most technically sophisticated cars on the planet." -- Detroit News
- "A well-equipped sedan that holds big people in comfort while getting the mileage of a coupe or sedan better suited to Smurfs." -- Chicago Tribune