Toyota Camry Hybrid Performance
While a few test drivers write that the 2015 Toyota Camry Hybrid lacks the agility of competitors like the Ford Fusion Hybrid, most are pleased with its comfortable ride. The Camry Hybrid gets good fuel economy for the class, and reviewers say that it offers ample power in most situations, though a few say that its engine can be noisy at higher revs.
- "… Toyota did tweak the Camry's body structure and suspension tuning this year to provide a more buttoned-down demeanor when you're driving around turns. Choose the sport-tuned SE version and you'll have an even more responsive and engaging feel. It may still not be quite as involving as the Fusion Hybrid, mind you, but most people should find the SE pretty satisfying." -- Edmunds
- "It's no sports sedan, but it's a better car to drive than it was." -- Motor Trend
- "Its less appealing attributes include a buzzy four-cylinder during full throttle acceleration, balanced but lackluster handling, and rather numb steering." -- Autoblog
Acceleration and Power
The 2015 Toyota Camry Hybrid has a 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine and an electric motor that generate 200 horsepower combined. A continuously variable transmission (CVT) is standard. The base Camry Hybrid LE gets an EPA-estimated 43/39 mpg city/highway, while Camry SE and XLE models earn 40/38 mpg. These estimates are better than what many hybrid cars get, but rivals like the Toyota Prius and Honda Accord Hybrid use less fuel.
Auto writers say that the 2015 Camry Hybrid offers plenty of power off the line and strong acceleration for a hybrid midsize car. They agree that transitions between gas and electric power are flawless at speed, but some reviewers note that the Camry Hybrid shudders a bit when the gas engine restarts in stop-and-go traffic.
- "… Toyota says it launches to 60 mph in just 7.6 seconds - I'd consider that conservative, as it feels a bit quicker. Acceleration like that puts it easily more than a half-second quicker than its four-cylinder sibling in the same sprint. More importantly, the hybrid's power delivery is more useable around town (e.g., pulling out in traffic) when its hybrid drive system is operating in its sweet spot." -- Autoblog
- "… Toyota's hybrid drivetrain remains one of the most sophisticated and refined systems of its kind. The transition from all-electric mode to the gasoline engine is less noticeable in the Camry Hybrid than in the Hyundai Sonata Hybrid, for example. All the while, acceleration is strong for a midsize, non-premium-brand hybrid sedan." -- Edmunds
- "When you're moving, the gasoline engine's engagement is smooth and seamless. If you happen to be sitting at a long red light when the gasoline engine restarts, you'll feel an unmistakable shaking in the chassis." -- Motor Trend
Handling and Braking
Critics agree that the Camry Hybrid’s updated suspension system offers composed handling and a comfortable ride. Camry Hybrid SE models come with a sport-tuned suspension, and reviewers report that it makes the Camry Hybrid a bit more responsive when driven through turns. However, some comment that while the steering is accurate enough for most buyers, some may want more road feel. The Camry Hybrid’s brakes also disappoint some reviewers, who say that they are grabby and difficult to modulate.
- "The 2015 Toyota Camry Hybrid is, for the most part, dynamically well-rounded. Thanks to careful suspension tuning, it grips the road well, and the ride is mostly undisturbed by bumps and ruts. Most drivers will find the steering precise, but if you're more demanding, you might notice its lack of road feel." -- Edmunds
- "The Camry Hybrid's brakes still need improvement. They're very grabby, throwing your forward against the seat belt if you give them anything but a gentle squeeze. Once they're engaged, the pedal feel is strange and completely unrelated to the stopping power." -- Motor Trend
Next Steps: Toyota Camry Hybrid
- View the best prices for the 2015 Toyota Camry Hybrid
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2015 Toyota Camry Hybrid
- Search used Toyota Camry Hybrid for sale (33,782 listings)
- See Affordable Midsize Cars rankings