Toyota Camry Review
The 2014 Toyota Camry ranks 4 out of 21 Affordable Midsize Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Toyota Camry, as well as reliability and safety data.
Auto reviewers praise the 2014 Toyota Camry for its gentle ride, good fuel economy and spacious interior, as well as Toyota’s reputation for strong resale values and good reliability. Because it has the best combination of positive reviews, price and long-term ownership costs in its class, we named the 2014 Toyota Camry Best Midsize Car for the Money.
The 2014 Toyota Camry comes with a standard four-cylinder engine or an optional V6, both of which are mated to a six-speed automatic transmission. Auto writers are happy with the Camry’s engine power, saying that both engines are peppy. Test drivers also say the transmission shifts quickly and smoothly. Fuel economy, at 25/35 mpg city/highway with the four-cylinder engine, is good for the class. Although it’s not the sportiest midsize car, most reviewers say the Camry delivers decent handling and an admirable ride that is smooth, quiet and comfortable. Some critics note that the Camry’s steering is vague on lower trims, though.
Reviewers say the 2014 Camry has comfortable, spacious seats and ample trunk space. Many critics like the Camry’s upscale materials and good craftsmanship, though a few are displeased with the interior build quality, saying that some panels don't fit quite right. Most test drivers say the console has legible gauges and easily-accessible buttons. The 2014 Toyota Camry comes standard with a 6.1-inch touch-screen display, a six-speaker stereo, an auxiliary audio jack, a USB port, a rearview camera and Bluetooth. Available features include navigation, dual-zone automatic climate control, a 10-speaker JBL audio system, blind spot monitoring and cross traffic alert. The optional Entune system disappoints some test drivers, who say that it’s a little difficult to set up, requiring a smartphone app and registering for an account. Reviewers also don't like that the Entune system requires smartphone data use to operate.
- "In keeping with tradition, the 2014 Camry rides smoothly and quietly, and fuel economy is better than ever, touching 35 miles per gallon in standard trim and up to 43 mpg in the Hybrid. Yet the latest Camry also handles pretty well, especially with the SE model's sport-tuned suspension, and its technology offerings have gone from lagging to leading, highlighted by standard touch-screen infotainment and USB/Bluetooth across the lineup." -- AutoTrader
- "Given its well-rounded nature and long-standing history of dependability, the 2014 Toyota Camry is a solid choice in the highly competitive midsize sedan segment." -- Edmunds
- "Certainly not the most thrilling subject, the cold, hard truth is that a primary appeal of the Camry is its long-term value, as typified by its proven record of reliability and its legendary resale numbers. It's that long-term value that keeps the Camry at the top of the sales charts." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "On the whole the Camry has improved significantly. It remains, more than ever, a poster car for your right brain." -- Cars.com (2012)
Other Cars to Consider
Test drivers say that the Mazda6 has a spacious, comfortable cabin, as well as dynamic handling and precise, responsive steering. The Mazda6 also gets slightly better fuel economy than the Camry and starts at a lower base price.
The base Honda Accord offers more standard tech features, including a rearview camera and dual-zone automatic climate control. The Accord is also available with a more powerful V6 engine, and the base model earns slightly better fuel economy than the Camry.
Details: 2014 Toyota Camry
The 2014 Toyota Camry seats five and has front-wheel drive. Five trims are available: L, LE, SE, SE Sport and XLE. A 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine is standard and a 3.5-liter V6 engine is available on SE and XLE trims. Both engines are mated to a six-speed automatic transmission. The Toyota Camry Hybrid is reviewed separately. The Camry was redesigned for the 2012 model year, and since it sees few significant changes for 2014, this overview uses applicable research and reviews from 2012, 2013 and 2014.
Next Steps: Toyota Camry
- View the best prices for the 2014 Toyota Camry
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Toyota Camry
- Search used Toyota Camry for sale (31,278 listings)
- See Affordable Midsize Cars rankings