2007 Toyota Camry Recalls & Reliability
There have been 4 safety recalls issued from NHTSA.
VISIBILITY:POWER WINDOW DEVICES AND CONTROLSRecall Date: 10/10/2012
- Summary: Toyota is recalling certain model year 2007-2009 Camry, Camry Hybrid, RAV4, Corolla, Corolla Matrix, Tundra, Sequoia, Highlander, Highlander Hybrid, Yaris, Scion xB, Scion xD and Pontiac Vibe vehicles. The power window master switch assemblies in some of these vehicles were built using a less precise process for lubricating the internal components of the switch assemblies. Irregularities in this lubrication process may cause the power window master switch assemblies to malfunction and overheat.
- Potential Number of Units Affected: 2,519,424
- Consequence: If the switch overheats, it may melt, possibly resulting in a fire.
- Remedy: Toyota will notify its owners, and dealers will inspect the switch and apply a special grease that inhibits heat build up or replace any switch damaged by the defect, free of charge. Toyota owners that experience a problem with a switch should not attempt to make repairs, but should contact their Toyota dealer or the Toyota Customer Experience Center at 1-800-331-4331. General Motors will contact the Pontiac Vibe owners affected by this recall and GM dealers will inspect and repair switches as necessary. Those owners may contact Pontiac Customer Care at 1-800-762-2737.
- Notes: Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
- NHTSA Campaign ID: 12V491000
VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL:ACCELERATOR PEDALRecall Date: 10/05/2009
- Summary: TOYOTA IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2004-2010 PASSENGER VEHICLES. THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL CAN GET STUCK IN THE WIDE OPEN POSITION DUE TO ITS BEING TRAPPED BY AN UNSECURED OR INCOMPATIBLE DRIVER'S FLOOR MAT.
- Potential Number of Units Affected: 3800000
- Consequence: A STUCK OPEN ACCELERATOR PEDAL MAY RESULT IN VERY HIGH VEHICLE SPEEDS AND MAKE IT DIFFICULT TO STOP THE VEHICLE, WHICH COULD CAUSE A CRASH, SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH.
- Remedy: TOYOTA WILL NOTIFY OWNERS OF AFFECTED VEHICLES TO REMOVE ANY DRIVER'S FLOOR MAT AND NOT REPLACE IT WITH ANY OTHER FLOOR MAT PENDING THE DEVELOPMENT OF MODEL-SPECIFIC REMEDIES. TOYOTA WILL MAIL A SECOND NOTIFICATION TO OWNERS OF AFFECTED VEHICLES NOTIFYING THEM OF THE FREE REMEDY WHEN IT IS AVAILABLE. THE FIRST NOTICE IS EXPECTED TO BE MAILED DURING OCTOBER 2009 AND TOYOTA WILL ADVISE NHTSA OF THE ESTIMATED DATE WHEN THE REMEDY PARTS WILL BE AVAILABLE. OWNERS MAY CONTACT TOYOTA AT 1-800-331-4331, LEXUS AT 1-800-255-3987.
- Notes: OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .
- NHTSA Campaign ID: 09V388000
EQUIPMENTRecall Date: 09/26/2007
- Summary: CERTAIN ALL WEATHER FLOOR MATS (AWFM) SPECIFICALLY SOLD AS AN OPTIONAL ACCESSORY FOR USE ON THE 2007 AND 2008 MODEL YEAR LEXUS ES350 AND TOYOTA CAMRY VEHICLES. THE AWFM INCLUDES TWO GROMMET HOLES AND RETAINING HOOKS (CLIPS) TO SECURE THE MAT TO THE VEHICLE'S CARPET. IF THE AWFM IS NOT SECURED BY ITSELF OR IF IT IS PLACED ON TOP OF AN EXISTING CARPETING FLOOR MAT, THE MAT COULD MOVE FORWARD DURING THE VEHICLE USAGE AND IT MAY INTERFERE WITH THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL.
- Potential Number of Units Affected: 55000
- Consequence: THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL MAY TEMPORARILY BECOME STUCK IN A PARTIALLY DEPRESSED POSITION WHEN RETURNING TO THE IDLE POSITION. IF THIS CONDITION OCCURS, IT MAY INCREASE THE POSSIBILITY OF A CRASH.
- Remedy: TOYOTA WILL NOTIFY OWNERS OF ALL 2007 AND 2008 LEXUS ES350 AND TOYOTA CAMRY VEHICLES ABOUT THE RECALL EVEN THOUGH NOT ALL OF THESE OWNERS WILL HAVE PURCHASED THE ALL WEATHER MATS. IF THE OWNER HAD NOT PURCHASED THE MATS, THEY ARE NOT AFFECTED BY THE RECALL. THIS LETTER WILL ADVISE OWNERS WHEN REPLACEMENT MATS WILL BE AVAILABLE. A SECOND LETTER WILL BE SENT AFTER MATS ARE AVAILABLE REQUESTING OWNERS TO RETURN THEIR MATS TO A LEXUS OR TOYOTO DEALER FOR EXCHANGE OF THE DRIVER'S SIDE MAT. THE FIRST LETTER IS EXPECTED TO BE SENT DURING EARLY OCTOBER 2007 AND THE SECOND IN LATE NOVEMBER 2007. OWNERS CAN CONTACT THE LEXUS CUSTOMER ASSISTANCE CENTER AT 1-800-255-3987 OR THE TOYOTA CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE CENTER AT 1-888-270-9371.
- Notes: TOYOTA RECALL NOS. 7LB LEXUS AND 70F CAMRY. CUSTOMERS MAY CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.
- NHTSA Campaign ID: 07E082000
AIR BAGS:SIDE/WINDOWRecall Date: 12/14/2006
- Summary: ON CERTAIN VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH CURTAIN SIDE AIR BAGS (CSA), THE CSA TETHER STRAP LOCATED IN THE FRONT PILLARS MAY HAVE BEEN INCORRECTLY ROUTED DURING THE ASSEMBLY PROCESS.
- Potential Number of Units Affected: 160
- Consequence: IF THE TETHER STRAP IS NOT CORRECTLY ROUTED, THE FRONT SIDE OF THE CSA MAY NOT DEPLOY AS DESIGNED, WHICH MAY RESULT IN INSUFFICIENT OCCUPANT PROTECTION DURING A SIDE IMPACT CRASH OR ROLLOVER EVENT.
- Remedy: DEALERS WILL INSPECT BOTH CSA FRONT TETHER STRAPS, AND IF NECESSARY, REROUTE THEM. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING LATE DECEMBER 2006 OR EARLY JANUARY 2007. OWNERS MAY CONTACT TOYOTA AT 1-888-270-9371.
- Notes: TOYOTA RECALL NO. 60J. CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.
- NHTSA Campaign ID: 06V488000
The Camry is covered by a three-year/36,000-mile basic warranty. Toyota also supports the Camry with a five-year/60,000-mile powertrain warranty.
About.com finds that the Camry "does what it does very well, and if the quality of past Toyotas is any indication, it will keep doing it well after the odometer rolls into six-figure territory."
Meanwhile, MSN wonders if the Camry's spotless reputation is warranted, reporting, "Toyota has been in the news lately for publicized issues with oil sludge buildup in some Toyota engines in earlier vehicles, including Camrys. There's also the fact that safety recalls involving Toyota vehicles spiked in 2005 and 2006, so discussion rages about whether Toyota's longstanding quality reputation is bulletproof."
There are a few who say Toyota's quality is slipping. Toyota fell from first place to fifth in an annual Consumer Reports reliability survey, and the V6 Camry received a "Below Average" rating.
Warranty information last updated: 5/2/08