Toyota Camry Recalls & Reliability
There have been 4 safety recalls issued from NHTSA.
EQUIPMENT:OTHER:LABELSRecall Date: 01/26/2010
VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL:ACCELERATOR PEDALRecall Date: 10/05/2009
EQUIPMENT:OTHER:LABELSRecall Date: 10/01/2009
EQUIPMENTRecall Date: 09/26/2007
Our reliability score is based on the J.D. Power and Associates Vehicle Dependability Study (VDS) rating or, if unavailable, the J.D. Power Predicted Reliability rating.
|Feature & Accessory Dependability|
|Body & Interior Dependability|
1These scores come from consumer ratings of their vehicles after three years of ownership.
- Among The Best
- Better Than Most
- About Average
- The Rest
J.D. Power and Associates Power Circle Ratings do not include all information used to determine J.D. Power and Associates awards. See JDPower.com for more information on Power Circle Ratings. Your experience may vary.
All information provided by J.D. Power and Associates is proprietary information owned by J.D. Power and Associates and is protected by U.S. and international copyright law and conventions. Reproduction of this information, in whole or in part, by any means is prohibited without the express written consent of J.D. Power and Associates, other than printing copies of the J.D. Power and Associates content by site visitors for their personal use. J.D. Power and Associates® is a registered trademark of J.D. Power and Associates.
The 2008 Toyota Camry is covered by a three-year or 36,000-mile basic warranty, and a five-year or 60,000-mile powertrain warranty.
In years past, Toyota has had a strong reputation for nearly all its models, but some recent reviews report that gold standard is tarnished. Toyota fell from first place to fifth in Consumer Reports' annual reliability survey, and the V6 Camry specifically received a "Below Average" rating. Consumer Guide lists the Camry as one of its Recommended Picks, but also reports a few mechanical issues with previous Camry models that range from improperly inflating or deploying air bags. Reviews are split between those who still uphold the Camry as a dependable model and those who express disappointment with inconsistent build quality in more recent models.
- "Neither a rocket scientist nor a car critic is needed to figure out why the Toyota Camry has been America's best-selling car nine of the past 10 years. This mid-size sedan does just about everything well, and it's supported by Toyota's well-earned reputation for quality, reliability and value retention. Wash-and-wear, no-worries reliability is not a bad thing. Owners depend on the Camry, and they're seldom disappointed." -- New Car Test Drive
- "Overall, the 2008 Camry is a nice package that should appeal to anyone who just wants to get from point A to point B. What the Camry lacks in excitement and performance it makes up with efficiency and dependability." -- Left Lane News
- CNET determined the 2007 model's "buttoned-down styling is clean and contemporary, and the quality remains class-leading." -- CNET
- In contrast, Edmunds leads those who note that Toyota's quality is slipping. "Build quality has fallen a notch on this generation." -- Edmunds
- "Its reputation for quality has taken a few dents recently, along with Toyota's overall reputation. Last year, Consumer Reports removed the Camry fitted with a V-6 engine from its list of recommended cars following a surge of complaints about transmission trouble. … In comparison with the domestic brands, Toyota's reputation for reliability remains strong despite the recent knocks." -- Detroit News
- Consumer Guide bridges between the two camps. "Nearly every model we've tested has displayed some combination of unsightly seams, misaligned plastic panels, and assorted interior squeaks and rattles. … Camry is no excitement machine -- not even the sporty SE version -- and test examples have suffered lapses in materials and workmanship. But every Camry is a class leader in powertrain refinement and passenger comfort, making it a clear Recommended pick." -- Consumer Guide
Next Steps: Toyota Camry
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Toyota Camry for sale (27,068 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Toyota Camry
- View Toyota Camry Photos
- See Affordable Midsize Cars rankings