Toyota Camry Performance
Overall, test drivers are pleased with the 2014 Toyota Camry’s steady handling, hushed engines and quick transmission. While reviewers say the Camry offers a smooth and quiet ride, some comment that the driving experience is otherwise unexceptional. Though most critics are impressed with the base Camry’s performance, one test driver says the SE trim level offers drivers a sportier and more connected ride.
- "In keeping with tradition, the 2014 Camry rides smoothly and quietly, and fuel economy is better than ever, touching 35 miles per gallon in standard trim and up to 43 mpg in the Hybrid. Yet the latest Camry also handles pretty well, especially with the SE model's sport-tuned suspension. …" -- AutoTrader
- "The most significant turnoff for some people will be in the way that the Camry drives. Although the ride quality is smooth, the driving experience overall feels rather disconnected and numb. The exceptions are the SE trim levels, which, thanks to their more firmly tuned suspensions, provide sharper, more involved handling. The SE isn't a sport sedan, but we do think most people will prefer the way it feels from behind the wheel." -- Edmunds
- "It's smooth, comfortable, and quiet, and otherwise unremarkable." -- Motor Trend (2012)
Acceleration and Power
The 2014 Camry engine lineup includes a 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine that produces 178 horsepower. A six-speed automatic transmission with manual mode comes with all trim levels, and the SE trim offers steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters. SE and XLE trims offer a 3.5-liter V6 engine producing 268 horsepower. The EPA says the base four-cylinder Camry gets 25/35 mpg city/highway, while the V6 gets 21/31. The base Camry’s fuel economy estimates are strong for the class, though the Nissan Altima uses slightly less fuel.
Auto writers are pleased with the Camry’s engine, saying that both the four-cylinder and V6 models deliver plenty of power. Reviewers say the transmission’s shifts are smooth and quiet. More than one test driver notes that downshifts are quick, and that the transmission does a good job of delivering additional power when needed.
- "Both four-cylinder and V6 engines generate ample power for everyday driving, and that power is delivered in a smooth, quiet fashion. Gear changes are likewise unobtrusive, and for a car that earns such high fuel economy numbers, the transmission surprises with quick downshifts when additional power is needed." -- Edmunds
- "Tasked with motivating the roughly 3,200 lbs. Camry, the four-cylinder is nearly silent in its operation and perfectly capable of working with its six-speed automatic transmission to deliver perfectly acceptable acceleration." -- Left Lane News (2012)
- "The new six-speed automatic transmission performs its duties admirably. Shifts are quick enough for family sedan duty and perfectly smooth - just what you want out of a gearbox designed to increase fuel economy and coddle in equal parts." -- Autoblog (2012)
- "Even though the 2.5-liter 4-cylinder engine lacks oomph off the line, it actually feels peppy and not too much of a slouch compared to its 3.5-liter V-6 sibling when passing slower traffic." -- Road and Track (2012)
Handling and Braking
Test drivers say that the 2014 Camry’s handling is comfortable, predictable and adequate for daily driving. A few reviewers say the base Camry’s steering is dull and imprecise, though they note that higher trims offer good steering feel.
- "The latest Camry retains the smooth, quiet ride that Camry fans have come to expect. So that's no surprise." -- AutoTrader
- “The 2014 Camry delivers a better ride than past models, with handling and response that would likely amaze and delight previous owners. The steering imparts confidence, both in feel and the precision of its directional stability, and the rigid body structure and compliant suspension take up the bumps and turns with smooth grace." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "The electric-assisted steering feels pretty good in the V6 and SE versions. But the steering in non-SE four-cylinder models feels somewhat lifeless in comparison and lacks precision." -- Edmunds
- "Though Camrys are engineered more for comfort than corner carving, their handling is predictable and composed in most normal driving situations." -- Consumer Guide (2012)
Next Steps: Toyota Camry
- View the best prices for the 2014 Toyota Camry
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- Search used Toyota Camry for sale (61,993 listings)
- See Affordable Midsize Cars rankings