Toyota Corolla Review
The 2013 Toyota Corolla ranks 37 out of 43 Affordable Small Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of 43 published reviews and test drives of the Toyota Corolla, and our analysis of reliability and safety data.
While most test drivers say the 2013 Toyota Corolla is underpowered, has poor fuel economy and a dull cabin, the Corolla has one of the highest reliability scores in the class.
The 2013 Corolla has a standard four-cylinder engine and a five-speed manual transmission. There’s also an optional four-speed automatic transmission, which brings the Corolla’s fuel economy ratings to 26/34 mpg city/highway, which is less than the Corolla’s main competitors. Some of the automotive press say that while the engine can handle daily commutes, it struggles during passing and merging maneuvers. They also pan its automatic transmission, which only has four gears while many competitors offer six. Several auto writers add that the Corolla’s steering is numb and that the brakes aren’t strong. The Corolla may not lead the class when it comes to performance, but it does have one the highest reliability scores in the class, which should be considered if vehicle dependability is most important to you.
According to reviewers, the cabin of the Corolla has controls that are straightforward and easy to use. Many test drivers think the interior is dated and bland in comparison with the competition. The 2013 Corolla also doesn’t offer as many standard and optional interior features as its rivals. Features such as a USB port, Bluetooth and steering-wheel mounted controls are optional, and the Corolla lacks optional safety features like blind-spot monitoring, a rearview camera and parking sensors that highly-ranked affordable small cars offer. Reviewers say the five-seat Corolla has front seats that are comfortable and rear seats that are tight for adults.
- "The Corolla's reputation is built on legendary longevity, low fuel consumption and high resale value. But has Toyota become complacent with it? Despite a major refresh in 2011 and new grille trim for 2013, placed next to a Ford Focus, Hyundai Elantra or Chevy Cruze, the Toyota Corolla looks frumpy and plain." -- Kelley Blue Book
- "Overall, the Toyota Corolla is fine, but to me, it's not much more than that." -- AutoWeek (2011)
- "There's really nothing beyond rational measures to make you want this car." -- Automobile Magazine (2011)
- "From its dull driving experience and aging interior to its subpar gas mileage, the … Corolla can't match what its competition offers." -- Cars.com (2011)
Other Cars to Consider
One thing reviewers like most about the Hyundai Elantra is that it looks a lot more upscale than its price suggests, unlike the Corolla. The Elantra has a stylish exterior and comes standard with technology features like satellite radio and a USB port, which aren’t standard on the Corolla. The Elantra also has a strong engine with good fuel economy, as well as comfortable first- and second-row seats.
The Mazda3 has sedan and hatchback body styles. The Mazda3 sedan doesn’t have as much cargo space as many competitors, but the hatchback model has a lot more room for cargo, especially when the rear seats are folded. Although the Mazda3’s rear seats are cramped, it outshines the Corolla with a well-made interior, higher fuel economy ratings, powerful engine choices and sharp handling.
Details: 2013 Toyota Corolla
The five-seat 2013 Toyota Corolla sedan comes in L, LE and S trims. All models have a four-cylinder engine and a standard manual transmission, though an automatic is optional. The 2013 Corolla doesn’t have as many standard features as its competitors, and features like a USB port, Bluetooth and navigation are optional. The Corolla hasn’t changed much compared with previous model years, so this overview uses applicable research and reviews from the 2011, 2012 and 2013 model years.
Next Steps: Toyota Corolla
Get the U.S. News Best Price for the Toyota Corolla
To get local pricing, enter your zip code: Get Best Price Cancel
- Search used Toyota Corolla for sale (14,474 listings)
- Find low financing rates for the Toyota Corolla
- See what others paid for the 2013 Toyota Corolla
- View Toyota Corolla Photos
- See Affordable Small Cars rankings