Toyota Corolla Review
The 2014 Toyota Corolla ranks 14 out of 40 Affordable Small Cars. This ranking is based on our analysis of published reviews and test drives of the Toyota Corolla, as well as reliability and safety data.
After a complete overhaul, critics say the 2014 Toyota Corolla still caters to those who value simplicity and dependability over sporty handling and flashy looks.
The 2014 Corolla has a four-cylinder engine and six-speed manual transmission. An optional four-speed automatic transmission gets 27/36 mpg city/highway, and a continuously variable transmission gives the Corolla competitive fuel economy ratings of 29/38 mpg city/highway. Critics complain that the Corolla can be slow to accelerate, and that it feels underpowered. Several test drivers note that the steering is sloppy and doesn’t offer much road feel. Reviewers agree the Corolla offers a comfortable ride and is a competent commuter car that’s very easy to drive, even if it's not much fun behind the wheel.
The automotive press finds both the standard cloth and optional leatherette seat materials in the 2014 Toyota Corolla unremarkable. Reviewers like the dash’s soft materials and black accents, but say the rest of the cabin is mostly outfitted with overly-utilitarian plastics. They praise the controls and available Entune infotainment system for their accessibility and simplicity. Standard features include Bluetooth, a USB port, auxiliary audio jack and steering wheel-mounted audio controls. A backup camera, cruise control, keyless entry and moonroof are optional. Reviewers say the front seats are spacious and the back seat has a good amount of legroom, even for tall passengers, which is unusual for a compact car.
- "The most useful difference in the all-new Toyota Corolla is an expansion of interior space. This is the kind of thing that should appeal to all buyers of compact-size cars, as they look for the comfort and convenience of a Toyota Camry-size car in a more affordable package." -- Automobile Magazine
- "From a business perspective, that means the Corolla is a massive winner, and so to no one's surprise, Toyota hasn't rocked the boat too much in the creation of its eleventh-generation 2014 Corolla. It seats four people comfortably. It gets decent fuel economy. It's easy to drive. It's (predictably) reliable. It's safe. And hey, it sort of looks good now. The new Corolla is actually a whole lot nicer than its predecessor. But it still doesn't, shall we say, toast my bagel." -- Autoblog
- "It might not be the most dynamic compact out there, but it's solid, presumably bullet proof, comfortable and easy to get a handle on." -- AutoWeek
- "Competitors such as the Ford Focus, Chevrolet Cruze and Hyundai Elantra have set new standards for sportiness, refinement and value in the class. So now it's time for Toyota to respond with a new compact of its own. We drove the 2014 Corolla in San Diego and witnessed history repeating itself. While the new Corolla is certainly better, it's nothing the competition should fear." -- MSN
Other Cars to Consider
The 2014 Ford Focus also gets good fuel economy, but unlike the Corolla, it delivers athletic handling and crisp steering. Reviewers like the high-quality materials used in the interior. The Focus is available as a hatchback or a sedan and offers an ST trim with a turbocharged engine.
Shoppers looking for a sportier ride should look at the Mazda3, which reviewers say is refreshingly agile for a compact car. Available as both a sedan and hatchback, the Mazda3 gets excellent fuel economy, though it has a smaller trunk and less rear legroom than the Corolla.
Details: 2014 Toyota Corolla
The 2014 Toyota Corolla seats five and comes in four trims: L, LE, LE Eco and S. All models have a four-cylinder engine. A manual transmission is standard, while a four-speed automatic and a continuously variable transmission are available. The Corolla has been completely redesigned for 2014.
Next Steps: Toyota Corolla
- View the best prices for the 2014 Toyota Corolla
- Calculate monthly payment and apply for a loan
- See what others paid for the 2014 Toyota Corolla
- Search used Toyota Corolla for sale (16,425 listings)
- See Affordable Small Cars rankings